• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

I saw the thread about people making a lot of money on comic book flips.  Here's a question:

Situation #1.  Someone offers you a comic book collection for $50.  You buy it, and after you total it up, you're pleasantly surprised with the value of some of the items not immediately known to you, and then with some labor on your part, end up selling it all for $400.  Is that unethical?

Situation #2.  Someone offers you a comic book collection.  They say, "make me an offer".  You see it's worth $400 retail.  You offer them $50 and they take the offer.  Is that more unethical?

How big of a profit is unethical?  You should get compensated for your time and effort to sell something, but how much is too much in Situation #1 and Situation #2?

What do you think?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Unless you tell the seller what it is worth and they still want the quick 50.

Exactly, telling someone it's "only worth $50 and then sell it for $500" that's a no no, if you just offer $50 that's different.... I don't know if at $5000 value it still is... but hm

I don't know how many times the 2 LCS I go to, I've walked in and said interested in this? And immediately they'll say $10! without even looking at it....

I'm sure that is funny haha joke, but part of me believes it is halfway serious, just in case someone says pfft ok!

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Exactly, telling someone it's "only worth $50 and then sell it for $500" that's a no no, if you just offer $50 that's different.... I don't know if at $5000 value it still is... but hm

I don't know how many times the 2 LCS I go to, I've walked in and said interested in this? And immediately they'll say $10! without even looking at it....

I'm sure that is funny haha joke, but part of me believes it is halfway serious, just in case someone says pfft ok!

I've been stiffed by LCS offering me couple bucks for like ASM 129.  It doesnt feel good when you come back and see it on wall for big bux.  It makes you want to......RETALIATE.

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

I would agree with this so long as the buyer is upfront with them about the worth. 

I had a LCS I dropped off my Magic collection to once, the guy that was doing the eval called me up and offered me $150 for it.  This is after boasting how he knew a good half of what I had he already had buyers for.  In the end I lost a friend and stopped shopping there for awhile (until he stopped working there actually).  I ended up selling them myself for $1500.

Lets just say the guy who ripped me off it cost him more in the long run.  Thats what greedy people never realize-their victims can do stuff too-

11 minutes ago, kav said:

I've been stiffed by LCS offering me couple bucks for like ASM 129.  It doesnt feel good when you come back and see it on wall for big bux.  It makes you want to......RETALIATE.

I've made bone head moves all on my own though...

Wolverine vs Hulk statue priced at $725 in store...

My hair brained scheme was to trade an ASM 129 in 4.5 fmv at the time $425 before fees AND a silver surfer #4 in 8.0 with cream to off white pages that only cost me $375....for the statue complete with box etc.

:pullhair:

What I wouldn't give to have that trade back @Crops068lol

I offered it to him and said is that Ok? Cause even at 60% trade value, LCS would end up ok...

His words were, "look at computer, fiddle and type, I am if you are!"

doh!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My hair brained scheme was to trade an ASM 129 in 4.5 fmv at the time $425 before fees AND a silver surfer #4 in 8.0 with cream to off white pages that on't cost me $375....for the statue complete with box etc.

I offered it to him and said is that Ok? Cause even at 60% trade value, LCS would end up ok...

His words were, "look at computer, fiddle and type, I am of you are!"

doh!

this was a fair deal and theoretically the statue could have ended up being the ^^ it's just a hindsight kicker.

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My hair brained scheme was to trade an ASM 129 in 4.5 fmv at the time $425 before fees AND a silver surfer #4 in 8.0 with cream to off white pages that only cost me $375....for the statue complete with box etc.

His words were, "look at computer, fiddle and type, I am if you are!"

doh!

Walked in the next time to see the 129 priced at $525 and the #4 at $475

1 minute ago, kav said:

this was a fair deal and theoretically the statue could have ended up being the ^^ it's just a hindsight kicker.

Lol ya it's just the easiest one for me to say doh! to myself...

The 129 was originally a PGX 5.5 that I had pressed came back a 4.5

Water under the bridge but I think I had $550 into the thing! :roflmao:

That's why I don't get my books pressed to often ha, cause I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person

6 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

And can they ever!  The old LCS I went to many, many years ago used to rip me off in subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) way when I was younger (several stories I've told here) and eventually I just stopped buying from him altogether.  HOWEVER... Per a story told to me by a neighboring LCS, what really put him out of business was the time - after I had long left - some early teens decided to get whatever money they could from their father's SA Spider Man collection, then take the dough to have a party as the parents were out of town.  They took the boxes to Mr. Sleaze, got the money and had their party.  As usual, the end consequences were not well thought-out so when Dad returned to no SA there were recriminations, but he also went to the LCS with explanations and reparation money in hand.  No dice, said Mr. Sleaze - a deal's a deal.  And with that as his final answer, despite much pleading and eventual threatening, physically fit Dad proceeded to pummel him all over the shop in true Marvel mayhem manner.  I don't know what happened to Dad, but the dealer went to the hospital for some time to recover from the beatdown and eventually closed his shop.

Not the first person in the story I would think needs a beating......

2 hours ago, SeniorSurfer said:

And can they ever!  The old LCS I went to many, many years ago used to rip me off in subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) way when I was younger (several stories I've told here) and eventually I just stopped buying from him altogether.  HOWEVER... Per a story told to me by a neighboring LCS, what really put him out of business was the time - after I had long left - some early teens decided to get whatever money they could from their father's SA Spider Man collection, then take the dough to have a party as the parents were out of town.  They took the boxes to Mr. Sleaze, got the money and had their party.  As usual, the end consequences were not well thought-out so when Dad returned to no SA there were recriminations, but he also went to the LCS with explanations and reparation money in hand.  No dice, said Mr. Sleaze - a deal's a deal.  And with that as his final answer, despite much pleading and eventual threatening, physically fit Dad proceeded to pummel him all over the shop in true Marvel mayhem manner.  I don't know what happened to Dad, but the dealer went to the hospital for some time to recover from the beatdown and eventually closed his shop.

Dad should have merely called the police.  I assume the kids were minors and not legally able to engage in a contract.  But the beating was nice.  The guy who ripped me off thought I was the one responsible for....certain things....and one day pulled up drunk in a parking lot and shouted HEY F-worder!!!  and started to come at me.  I was ecstatic about being given this chance to beat the carp out of him but some dim part of his drunken mind warned him and he changed his mind and left.  lol 

Edited by kav

21 minutes ago, SeniorSurfer said:

when Dad returned to no SA

:roflmao:

genius use of the english lang

30 years ago i had a 5$ woodchopper note in decent shape (similar to the ones pictured) that i decided to sell and the the coin dealer only offered me $7

i told him i would rather spend it at face value then sell it for that , and i lost a lot of respect for the dealer

Image result for 5 dollar large currency woodchopper note

image.jpeg

Edited by 1950's war comics

7 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

30 years ago i had a 5$ woodchopper note in decent shape (similar to the ones pictured) that i decided to sell and the the coin dealer only offered me $7

i told him i would rather spend it at face value then sell it for that , and i lost a lot of respect for the dealer

Image result for 5 dollar large currency woodchopper note

image.jpeg

I would def have spent it at face value.  Two dollars?????  Nah-