• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

I had a dude hire me to do a T shirt design.  I did several versions and he looked em over and went nah-this isnt what I want-I'm gonna try another artist.  So no payment.  Then he went to put artwork in his briefcase saying 'maybe I can use em for somethin-"  I said no no no no no-thats not how this works-give me my artwork back.

This goofus actually thought he could get free art by claiming he couldnt use it then just kinda oh well-stuffing it in his briefcase!!!!

Both of those scenarios seem fine to me. However

you see a collection the survivors of a deceased collector are selling for $400. You see right at the top of the pile a comic worth 170k. You offer them $50 and they take it

thats unethical

Edited by dupont2005

The possibility of unearthing one of my Grail books for a "steal" at a flea market, garage sale, antique shop is one of the few thrills I have left in life......  The fact that it would feel amazing if it happened almost definitely means it's unethical. :makepoint:

500 dollars in store credit for 25000 in books...  That is unethical...

It may not be illegal but it is unethical.

I like that Storage Wars show were a cab driver buys a unit for 50 bucks or something and there is an original Shelby Cobra body inside in mint condition, then the pikers offer him 30 grand for it and he takes it...

If you find a gold college ring on the beach is it yours or should you make an effort to return it?  Hmmm...

Edited by Karl Liebl

11 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

The possibility of unearthing one of my Grail books for a "steal" at a flea market, garage sale, antique shop is one of the few thrills I have left in life......  The fact that it would feel amazing if it happened almost definitely means it's unethical. :makepoint:

The question most often I hear is, how much do you want for it...?

Flea markets, garage sales and antique shops are most likely going to have a price in mind if not already stickered on the book, no harm In a cheap find (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

13 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Both of those scenarios seem fine to me. However

you see a collection the survivors of a deceased collector are selling for $400. You see right at the top of the pile a comic worth 170k. You offer them $50 and they take it

thats unethical

this is a very old discussion here on these boards. I dont consider your scenario unethical. That I know the book is worth more than they agree to sell it for isnt unethical.

If they ask me for my knowledge and I then provide information that isnt true is unethical.

8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

it isnt unethical if the price is agreed upon.

So if old lady walks in with Action #1 and dealer offers her $5 and she agrees it's ethical because 'it was agreed upon'?  
i have to disagree.

Keep in mind the only time an exchange would take place if the price 'wasnt agreed upon' would be a case of robbery.  

Just now, Karl Liebl said:

It gets a little murky for me if I find a chest full of Spanish doubloons while putting a swimming pool in in America, should they be returned to Spain?  Hmmmm...

I'm not a lawyer but I think the answer is yes.  I read one case where a guy dumped sunken treasure back in the ocean because the govt was claiming it and another case where a guy showed pics of a cave full of us army gold that he just left there and never disclosed location because the govt would seize the entire thing and he wouldnt see a penny.

12 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The question most often I hear is, how much do you want for it...?

Flea markets, garage sales and antique shops are most likely going to have a price in mind if not already stickered on the book, no harm In a cheap find (thumbsu

I got my 4.0 WBN 32 for $50 from one of my former LCS about 2 years ago before I moved.... In the words of the employee going through the collection "It's pretty beat up make me an offer". 

$50 was my starting point.... He bit.

^^:flipbait::takeit:

4 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I got my 4.0 WBN 32 for $50 from one of my former LCS about 2 years ago before I moved.... In the words of the employee going through the collection "It's pretty beat up make me an offer". 

$50 was my starting point.... He bit.

^^:flipbait::takeit:

NOW who's 'beat up'???  :roflmao:

Just now, Lurker89 said:

Robbery/Larceny can be ethical.

>.>

tumblr_m7ded7Ny4F1r9u934o1_250.gif

Pretty sure the LCS guy would leave out the 'give to the poor' part tho lol 

3 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

I saw the thread about people making a lot of money on comic book flips.  Here's a question:

Situation #1.  Someone offers you a comic book collection for $50.  You buy it, and after you total it up, you're pleasantly surprised with the value of some of the items not immediately known to you, and then with some labor on your part, end up selling it all for $400.  Is that unethical?

Situation #2.  Someone offers you a comic book collection.  They say, "make me an offer".  You see it's worth $400 retail.  You offer them $50 and they take the offer.  Is that more unethical?

How big of a profit is unethical?  You should get compensated for your time and effort to sell something, but how much is too much in Situation #1 and Situation #2?

What do you think?

How long does it take you to make the $50 into $400

time = money