• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

How long does it take you to make the $50 into $400

time = money 

I will give you 25c for taking the time to make that post!

3 hours ago, kav said:

50 to 400 is not unethical.  Its still a lot of workd to list sell and ship.  Most people would just want the quick 50.  50 to 5000 is unethical.

No, it isn't. $50 to $500,000 isn't unethical either. The seller should take the time to educate themselves. Educating other people is not my job. Don't offer something for $50 if you don't know what it's worth. It would literally take about an hour of your time to figure out that what you're offering for $50 is worth much more than that. If you are too lazy to be arsed out of an hour of your time to do some research... that is your problem. I don't understand the mentality of excusing other people's lack of personal responsibility in our culture lately. Everyone seems to think that they are owed something. That is not the case in my world.

3 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

No, it isn't. $50 to $500,000 isn't unethical either. The seller should take the time to educate themselves. Educating other people is not my job. Don't offer something for $50 if you don't know what it's worth. It would literally take about an hour of your time to figure out that what you're offering for $50 is worth much more than that. If you are too lazy to be arsed out of an hour of your time to do some research... that is your problem. I don't understand the mentality of excusing other people's lack of personal responsibility in our culture lately. Everyone seems to think that they are owed something. That is not the case in my world.

I guess everyone needs to make their own choice on this issue.  Personally I could not sleep at night buying an Action #1 for $5 from someone who didnt know any better.

I make exceptions for little old ladies sitting on pristine, untouched copies of Action 1. Older folks don't know how to use computers and they may not have access to anyone that can teach them, life can be tough when you hit your 80s. But if you are 40,50,60 yrs old? Figure it out, it's not that hard. Or don't and sell your $5K collection for $50, either way is fine.

1 minute ago, LordRahl said:

I make exceptions for little old ladies sitting on pristine, untouched copies of Action 1. Older folks don't know how to use computers and they may not have access to anyone that can teach them, life can be tough when you hit your 80s. But if you are 40,50,60 yrs old? Figure it out, it's not that hard. Or don't and sell your $5K collection for $50, either way is fine.

I also couldnt sleep at night thinking about the possible deadly enemy I may have created by giving $5 for $500,000 worth of books.  One forensic file I watched dude sent a pipe bomb because he got ripped of on a purchase.  

Just now, kav said:

I also couldnt sleep at night thinking about the possible deadly enemy I may have created by giving $5 for $500,000 worth of books.  One forensic file I watched dude sent a pipe bomb because he got ripped of on a purchase.  

Yeah but here's the problem. In the scenario presented, the seller isn't getting ripped off. At least, not by the buyer. There is an argument to be made that they are ripping themselves off by being too lazy to do the research but then they have no one to blame but themselves. Ripping someone off would require an act of dishonesty or outright criminal activity. There was not one present in the OP's scenario.

Yeah but here's the problem. In the scenario presented, the seller isn't getting ripped off. At least, not by the buyer. There is an argument to be made that they are ripping themselves off by being too lazy to do the research but then they have no one to blame but themselves. Ripping someone off would require an act of dishonesty or outright criminal activity. There was not one present in the OP's scenario.

But people are not automatons-they are mammals that can get explosively angered by events.  I personally could not sleep at night knowing I may have created a deadly enemy.  Also if you make exceptions for little old ladies, what if the person is autistic?  What if they are distracted because their entire family was killed in a car crash?  How could you determine the state of mind of anyone you bought from?  

It's also not 'my job' to save someone who is choking, but I would do it.  The 'not my job' argument doesnt work, for me any way.  I will gladly educate people as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

But people are not automatons-they are mammals that can get explosively angered by events.  I personally could not sleep at night knowing I may have created a deadly enemy.  Also if you make exceptions for little old ladies, what if the person is autistic?  What if they are distracted because their entire family was killed in a car crash?  How could you determine the state of mind of anyone you bought from?  

That's really getting in the weeds. But for arguments sake, if I can tell that there is something wrong, I would probably just pass and walk away. If someone's entire family were killed in a car crash and the first thing they did was go try and sell a comic collection for $50 bucks, I'd question their priorities.

1 minute ago, kav said:

It's also not 'my job' to save someone who is choking, but I would do it.  The 'not my job' argument doesnt work, for me any way.  I will gladly educate people as much as possible.

There is a really huge difference between the 2 and you know it. I'm not going to bother breaking it down for you as to why the comparison is just silly.

Just now, LordRahl said:

That's really getting in the weeds. But for arguments sake, if I can tell that there is something wrong, I would probably just pass and walk away. If someone's entire family were killed in a car crash and the first thing they did was go try and sell a comic collection for $50 bucks, I'd question their priorities.

I've lost several family members in tragic fashion.   You do not just cease all functioning.  You do things you would regularly do, like buy groceries or sell comics.  

Just now, LordRahl said:

There is a really huge difference between the 2 and you know it. I'm not going to bother breaking it down for you as to why the comparison is just silly.

Every person has to make their own decision as to whether they would buy a valuable collection for cheap, however it is justified.  I've made mine.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Every person has to make their own decision as to whether they would buy a valuable collection for cheap, however it is justified.  I've made mine.

That's totally fine. Everyone has to choose how to live their lives every day. What you don't get to do, is call something unethical thereby implying that someone that does do it, is doing something wrong. There are many things I choose to not do in my life, most of them aren't unethical in any way... just not for me. Just because it's something you have chosen not to do, does not make it unethical.

That's totally fine. Everyone has to choose how to live their lives every day. What you don't get to do, is call something unethical thereby implying that someone that does do it, is doing something wrong. There are many things I choose to not do in my life, most of them aren't unethical in any way... just not for me. Just because it's something you have chosen not to do, does not make it unethical.

I absolutely get to say what I think is unethical.  

Taking your argument to the final conclusion, nothing is unethical.

10 minutes ago, kav said:

I guess everyone needs to make their own choice on this issue.  Personally I could not sleep at night buying an Action #1 for $5 from someone who didnt know any better.

I'd rather take a rich sucker for a ride than poor sucker....:devil:

All in all if I bought  an Action #1 for $5 from anyone I would then inform the person of their error in judgement and then split profits from the auctioned sale. We are then both much better off, as someone else would have just taken them for a ride .... And I get to avoid the guilt complex.

If it is not a life changing sum then take the  deal and enjoy the book

OblongSpectacularEasternnewt-max-1mb.gif

3 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

All in all if I bought  an Action #1 for $5 from anyone I would then inform the person of their error in judgement and then split profits from the auctioned sale.

I agree with this, but what is the cut off?   $1 million?  $100K?  $10K?  $100 bucks.  How much is too much?   It's a minefield. 

7 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Ps I'm not saying you are a bad person.  I admit to doing things that I know are unethical.  I'm not perfect and few people are.

1 minute ago, october said:

The old lady with the Action 1 has been discussed TO DEATH on here. 

But not the puppy kicking terrorist with the Detective 27. What THEN smart guys? 

Take the puppy. Take the Tec 27. Kick the Terrorist.