• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, kav said:

I absolutely get to say what I think is unethical.  

Taking your argument to the final conclusion, nothing is unethical.

1 minute ago, october said:

What do your precious "ethics" say now?!?

Humans and moral relativism go hand in hand.

#militaryindustrialcomplex

Humans are gross unfortunately I am one (thumbsu.

4 minutes ago, october said:

The old lady with the Action 1 has been discussed TO DEATH on here. 

But not the puppy kicking terrorist with the Detective 27. What THEN smart guys? 

Adopt the puppy, fall in love with the terrorist and change her ways, sell the Tec 27 to fund our lives?

Just now, James J Johnson said:

That must have taught that guy a lesson he soon didn't forget! (thumbsu

I can only hope you hauled off, and gave him a dirty look too  :sumo:

Dont go crazy now-

2 minutes ago, october said:

Fallout 3 :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Love me some Fallout since the very start.  Saddened that 76 did not do well, I just picked it up for Xbox though since it was down to $25 at Gamestop.

I will say one last thing because this has come up several times-if the only time it's not someone's job to educate someone else is when there is a huge windfall to be had, I would at least re think that reason.  If someone asked about SCS and you were happy to explain it or someone's car was overheating and you knew something about that and explained it, and the only time you were unwilling to educate someone was in a windfall situation, well-

15 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Love me some Fallout since the very start.  Saddened that 76 did not do well, I just picked it up for Xbox though since it was down to $25 at Gamestop.

I played other Black Isle stuff like Baldur's and Icewind Dale, but not the original Fallouts. Someday I will have to go back and rectify that. 

Fallout 3 is on my top 10 all-time list, and New Vegas is also excellent. Have not played 4 yet, but I own it. 

1 minute ago, october said:

I played other Black Isle stuff like Baldur's and Icewind Dale, but not the original Fallouts. Someday I will have to go back and rectify that. 

Fallout 3 is on my top 10 all-time list, and New Vegas is also excellent. Have not played 4 yet, but I own it. 

Once you play 4, you have pretty much played 76.  It is the same engine.

Fallout and Fallout 2, nothing like 3, AT ALL.  Oh Baldur's Gate and Icewind Date, also great games.  Love me some RPGs. :)

At least none of those pulled what Ruins of Myth Drannor did in the 1st month of release it had a bug where if you uninstalled it with the prepackaged uninstaller, it wiped the C: drive instead of just the game. :roflmao:

37 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Once you play 4, you have pretty much played 76.  It is the same engine.

Fallout and Fallout 2, nothing like 3, AT ALL.  Oh Baldur's Gate and Icewind Date, also great games.  Love me some RPGs. :)

At least none of those pulled what Ruins of Myth Drannor did in the 1st month of release it had a bug where if you uninstalled it with the prepackaged uninstaller, it wiped the C: drive instead of just the game. :roflmao:

Never got Myth Drannor....glad I missed it!

Also need to play Torment. Heard nothing but rave reviews. Been on my list for, oh, about 25 years. 

2 hours ago, october said:

What do your precious "ethics" say now?!?

My ethics say do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  As I would hope someone would keep me from selling a $5000 comic for $5 I would take the time to try to educate said seller as well.  

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

this is a very old discussion here on these boards. I dont consider your scenario unethical. That I know the book is worth more than they agree to sell it for isnt unethical.

If they ask me for my knowledge and I then provide information that isnt true is unethical.

Car salesmen who do this kind of thing on a far smaller scale are the reason car salesmen have the reputation of car salesmen. Now when you’re doing this at a far greater severity to the grieving family and their inheritance, I wouldn’t say the situation improves

agree to disagree

22 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

My ethics say do unto others as you would have them do unto you.  As I would hope someone would keep me from selling a $5000 comic for $5 I would take the time to try to educate said seller as well.  

this pretty much says it all

7 hours ago, wombat said:

In my opinion as long as you are not intentionally misleading someone there is no such thing as an unethical amount of profit. 

This. Experience and knowledge have value. No one is "owed" a "fair price"...even little old grandma. They're only owed honesty, not an education. "This is what I'd be willing to pay" is all that matters. 

4 hours ago, LordRahl said:

No, it isn't. $50 to $500,000 isn't unethical either. The seller should take the time to educate themselves. Educating other people is not my job. Don't offer something for $50 if you don't know what it's worth. It would literally take about an hour of your time to figure out that what you're offering for $50 is worth much more than that. If you are too lazy to be arsed out of an hour of your time to do some research... that is your problem. I don't understand the mentality of excusing other people's lack of personal responsibility in our culture lately. Everyone seems to think that they are owed something. That is not the case in my world.

This.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This. Experience and knowledge have value. No one is "owed" a "fair price"...even little old grandma. They're only owed honesty, not an education. "This is what I'd be willing to pay" is all that matters. 

But is saying "I'd be willing to pay $5" for Action #1 an honest statement?  Obviously a dealer would be "willing to pay" much more.

How about on the flip side? I was selling at Stan Lee’s comic con a few year ago. I had about 5 long boxes of $1 books on a table. I remember when I got those boxes I went through them kind of quick and most were just $1 books. We had been selling for awhile and I told my son to man the booth while I walked around a bit. He called me a short time later and said a customer had found a new mutants 87 in the dollar boxes. Wasn’t near mint (about very fine or so). I considered it and told him to honor the sale at $1. I feel it’s the sellers responsibility to have their items priced correctly. Believe me, the buyer sure didn’t offer more for the book. He bought it and left. 

5 minutes ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

How about on the flip side? I was selling at Stan Lee’s comic con a few year ago. I had about 5 long boxes of $1 books on a table. I remember when I got those boxes I went through them kind of quick and most were just $1 books. We had been selling for awhile and I told my son to man the booth while I walked around a bit. He called me a short time later and said a customer had found a new mutants 87 in the dollar boxes. Wasn’t near mint (about very fine or so). I considered it and told him to honor the sale at $1. I feel it’s the sellers responsibility to have their items priced correctly. Believe me, the buyer sure didn’t offer more for the book. He bought it and left. 

The statement 'do unto others as you would have done unto you' still stands.  It just depends on what type of person you want to be.

It's a lie by omission not to tell someone a book is worth a lot and buy it for a pittance.  You are relying on their ignorance to get a windfall, and dressing it up/justifying it by saying "it's not my job to educate".  It's always your job to do the honorable thing, if that's the kind of person you want to be.

Edited by kav