• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Sarcasm doesn’t show through in print quite as well as most people would choose it to. 

That reminds me of Czar Nicholas II.  It's well-known that many of the Russian Royals suffered from hemophilia, but less well-recognized that they also inherited severe depth-perception deficiencies.  This was a real problem, as a rather precipitous ravine named for its location ran not far outside the castle and across the Royal grounds.  Quite frequently over the centuries these Royals would simply not see the drop and topple to injurious results.

Nicholas was riding alongside his servant on a grouse hunt.  He was ruminating on the grand party of the night before, and stated "That Rasputin really gets my goat!  He thinks his deadpan humor is so funny.  But I know everyone laughs just to keep on his good side as they fear him.  His last joke I didn't even get... it made no sense!"

Just then the servant's eyes widened as he realized Nicholas was riding straight toward the ravine.  He shouted a warning, but Nicholas inexplicably fired back "How dare you insult me!  I'll have you horsewhipped for that!".

It was too late.  Nicholas and horse fell down the slope onto the harsh gravel below.  Bruised and with tunic torn, he rose unsteadily upright and again denounced the servant.  "Why didn't you warn me!"

"But I did sir!  I did!" the frightened servant responded.  I clearly shouted out "Sir! Czar Chasm is beyond you!".

I honestly did not have time to navigate through 7 pages, so please forgive me if this was already mentioned.

Since OP is talking about flipping, we can assume this is not for his "personal collection" - which to me is by far the most unethical thing to say when planning a flip.

The fairest way to deal with this is to offer the seller the option to consign the book(S). This really keeps things honest as it is in both parties interest to get the highest value for the book.

If time is of the essence and the seller has a price and has rejected the consignment, then there would be no ethical problem. Both parties are getting what they want.

1 hour ago, NP_Gresham said:

I honestly did not have time to navigate through 7 pages, so please forgive me if this was already mentioned.

Since OP is talking about flipping, we can assume this is not for his "personal collection" - which to me is by far the most unethical thing to say when planning a flip.

The fairest way to deal with this is to offer the seller the option to consign the book(S). This really keeps things honest as it is in both parties interest to get the highest value for the book.

If time is of the essence and the seller has a price and has rejected the consignment, then there would be no ethical problem. Both parties are getting what they want.

Auction or fixed price listing?  If the seller isn't flexible on the price then it may never sell.

Buyers seem to forget that the risk falls on the buyer to be able to sell that purchase and make money.

Not as easy as one thinks.  All it takes is one boat anchor to sink your wins.

On 7/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, october said:

Especially given that the scenario is borderline absurd. It's always framed in the most extreme terms, never anything has a chance of happening in reality. 

Someone did pay $5 at a garage sale for an AF 15 though. A friend of the buyer told the story on the forum and was pilloried. 

Rookie move, probably could have gotten it for $1 if he pushed hard enough

Couple clarifications:
All dealers are not rip off artists.

The dealer who gave me $2 for ASM 129 IMO is a rip off artist.

21 hours ago, kav said:

Would someone return to a person that gave them $5 for a $100,000 book?  I think thats the last word on this subject.

Hey guys.  Can't believe this thread is still going.  I guess that's a good thing, right?

I got my answer to the question in the form of the above.  The guy contacted me to buy more stuff.  And this time he asked me to give him an offer, which I did, and he took.  And my offer was better than the first purchase.

4 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Hey guys.  Can't believe this thread is still going.  I guess that's a good thing, right?

I got my answer to the question in the form of the above.  The guy contacted me to buy more stuff.  And this time he asked me to give him an offer, which I did, and he took.  And my offer was better than the first purchase.

giphy.gif

Has anyone here ever found a $100,000 book for $5 in a dealers inventory or at a garage sale?

Did you tell the dealer?

LOL.

I’ll bet if we set up a hidden camera at a show and counted - put a fake $100,000 book marked at $5 as the bait - 90+% of people WOULDN’T - but that’d be okay here for some reason...

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Has anyone here ever found a $100,000 book for $5 in a dealers inventory or at a garage sale?

Did you tell the dealer?

LOL.

I’ll bet if we set up a hidden camera at a show and counted - put a fake $100,000 book marked at $5 as the bait - 90+% of people WOULDN’T - but that’d be okay here for some reason...

What would you do? Someone get John Quinones on the phone, stat!

I've made some bad decisions while selling some of my books, but remorse isn't what eventually drives me away from the LCS owner or comic dealer I've been involved with here.  In some cases, the exchange has resulted in me being flagged as a bit of a pushover, which opened me up on occasion to a lot of contempt and verbally-abusive behaviour.  Regardless of the nature of a business, comic-related or not, I'll end up losing any motivation to return and to expose myself to more of this.  On topic, I've never found it particularly difficult to find somewhere else to spend my comics money, with individuals possessing a great deal more courtesy, respect and consideration.

Edited by Ken Aldred

4 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've made some bad decisions while selling some of my books, but remorse isn't what eventually drives me away from the LCS owner or comic dealer I've been involved with here.  In some cases, the exchange has resulted in me being flagged as a bit of a pushover, which opened me up on occasion to a lot of contempt and verbally-abusive behaviour.  Regardless of the nature of a business, comic-related or not, I'll end up losing any motivation to return and to expose myself to more of this.  On topic, I've never found it particularly difficult to find somewhere else to spend my comics money, with individuals possessing a great deal more courtesy, respect and consideration.

Yes I stopped going to a store exactly like that.  They considered me a dipstick for giving them money every month, apparently.  Later.

When a comic shop owner greets you with "Back again??  Thats the second time today!!!" and mocks you with the other employees you find somewhere else to give money to.

22 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

It's because of you that I cringe every time I see an ASM129

#kavaholicAnonymous #Iwantmylifeback 

every time I see that book, I destroy it.  My goal is to destroy them all, so eventually my copy I got shanked on will be gone.

40 minutes ago, kav said:

When a comic shop owner greets you with "Back again??  Thats the second time today!!!" and mocks you with the other employees you find somewhere else to give money to.

Tame compared to being called a mental defective.  On two separate occasions by different dealers.

2 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Tame compared to being called a mental defective.  On two separate occasions by different dealers.

"lets see I work as a bank exec you work in a comic shop-I'm in good shape and you're a fat slob with mustard stains on your shirt and I'm the mental defective-got it"

would be a good come back.

Edited by kav

If you give someone 20% of a book's value for $100+ books thats low but I dont consider it a rip off.  If you are giving them 1% thats a rip off.  0.1% is definitely an outright theft.