• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

Just now, Karl Liebl said:

Wrong answer...  you ask for the title and keys to his cadillac...

-and then you sell it to Jack Klompus.

1 hour ago, kav said:

I think it would be fair if you bought Action #1 at a yard sale for $1, sold it, then slipped 1/2 the proceeds under their door.  

Since we are being ethical and charitable and stuff, we COULD also donate it to an actual charity. :)

6 minutes ago, newshane said:

Since we are being ethical and charitable and stuff, we COULD also donate it to an actual charity. :)

I dont trust charities.  Too much corruption.  

4 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Everybody's ethical to an audience.

Come on Chuck...  Is it so unfair to say my shop cant afford these or I want to cherry pick your books or even I will only pay 2 cents on the dollar im sorry? and do a little explaining...  Its not hard...

8 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Come on Chuck...  Is it so unfair to say my shop cant afford these or I want to cherry pick your books or even I will only pay 2 cents on the dollar im sorry? and do a little explaining...  Its not hard...

I know an LCS owner that does exactly that.  He always tells people what items are worth and gives them options.  He never refrains from doing this or withholds information.  this policy has worked out exceptionally well for him.  Usually people have tried taking stuff to other shop and greatly appreciates his honesty and he has gotten several great deals as a result.  I am talking GREAT deals.   

Edited by kav

22 minutes ago, kav said:

I know an LCS owner that does exactly that.

Sadly I know a LCS too.  He has all the new issues available and makes an effort to package and display carefully.  Has baseball cards and toys etc.  NO back issues.  He won't make rent in California and its a shame.  Is this really a comic shop or a newsstand?  But where do you find comics nowadays?  I am done beating up on comic shops...  Atlantis Fantasyland Santa Cruze... mmmm... were you in a movie haha!

I have never owned a shop but my best friend owns a very successful shop.  We talk about this stuff a lot.  He has never withheld information and has never had a problem with people thinking he's 'ripping them off'.  He has purchased many outstanding collections being 100% honest and open.  He explains the value, makes an offer and if the guy is reluctant, recommends another shop.  No pressure.  Inevitably the other shop lowballs and he comes back.  Dont know what else to say.

14 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

The truth is, the more fair you play, the more books you lose.

You should always play fair Chuck and don't worry about what the other guy is doing.  He is going to be out of business next month.  Are you going to get ripped off sometimes? Yes!  But what if you can take all of their business?  Be smart and take the time to inspect key books yourself!  I don't even know if you are a dealer or live in BFE.  I appreciate your honest response.  If you are a dealer I will buy an expensive book off you maybe FF or EC PM me.

I frequent an antique store that deals mostly in salvage, but the owner buys random garage sale junk for his store as well. With a working Coke vending machine, an old lady (not that one) threw in some old comics. He knew he had something, but knows nothing about comics. One was a high-midgrade Life With Archie #1!

Instead of buying a stack for a few bucks like I normally do from him, I just sat at his counter and said, "do you know what you have here?" Then I explained comic 101. 

A few months later, I popped in to see what he had. Right up front he said we wanted to get out of comics and asked if I could sell them for him for a cut. I guess in this case honesty has its rewards.  

25 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Atlantis Fantasyworld in Santa Cruz. Was my LCS for 4 years in the 90s.

Sorry, I cherry picked your books haha...

I am about a decade before you because once I entered college I no longer cared for comics.  That was a great shop...  I dont even know if its still around...

Edited by Karl Liebl

17 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

You should always play fair Chuck and don't worry about what the other guy is doing.

Define fair.

He is going to be out of business next month.

I do know some dealers who've been around forever who do not play fair.

Are you going to get ripped off sometimes? Yes!  But what if you can take all of their business?

Not everyone thinks the same thing is fair. I ALWAYS had dollar books. During sales, they'd be 2 for $1 sometimes 3 for $1 sometimes as much as 10 for $1 when I get too much of it. I'd buy complete 90's garbage books at 10 cents a book. How fair is that? I sometimes sold my junk books for as little as 10 cents a piece but ALWAYS bought them at 10 cents a piece - cash in hand.

People complained. They could sell the same books to the used book store for 25 cents a piece, but they'd always have to buy the comics there for $1 a piece. No sales. However, they could find amazing deals because the used book store had NO IDEA what one comic was from another.

People would then find their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 or New Mutants #87 in their dollar boxes and bring them down to ME, so they could try and sell them for as close to FMV as possible. What's FAIR in that instance? What should I pay in that scenario? Was my fairness paying off?

So many times, there'd be no one left to buy THOSE books in my store, because so many people wanted to find the good comics in dollar boxes at the used book store (thank goodness for good, regular customers who wanted a real comic shop), so I'd sometimes have to sell them on eBay where I was at the mercy of Paypal fees, eBay fees, shipping, boxes, packing material, tape, driving to the post office, etc. 

No little ladies got ripped off. But I sometimes felt less than fulfilled.

Be smart and take the time to inspect key books yourself!

Well of course.

I don't even know if you are a dealer or live in BFE.  I appreciate your honest response.  If you are a dealer I will buy an expensive book off you maybe FF or EC PM me.

I appreciate that... I've moved on from buying/selling, it seems the know-it-all amateurs have invaded the hobby as sellers. I just enjoy a good read every now and then... but thank you!

3 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Define fair.

I do know some dealers who've been around forever who do not play fair.

Not everyone thinks the same thing is fair. I ALWAYS had dollar books. During sales, they'd be 2 for $1 sometimes 3 for $1 sometimes as much as 10 for $1 when I get too much of it. I'd buy complete 90's garbage books at 10 cents a book. How fair is that? I sometimes sold my junk books for as little as 10 cents a piece but ALWAYS bought them at 10 cents a piece - cash in hand.

People complained. They could sell the same books to the used book store for 25 cents a piece, but they'd always have to buy the comics there for $1 a piece. No sales. However, they could find amazing deals because the used book store had NO IDEA what one comic was from another.

People would then find their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 or New Mutants #87 in their dollar boxes and bring them down to ME, so they could try and sell them for as close to FMV as possible. What's FAIR in that instance? What should I pay in that scenario? Was my fairness paying off?

So many times, there'd be no one left to buy THOSE books in my store, because so many people wanted to find the good comics in dollar boxes at the used book store (thank goodness for good, regular customers who wanted a real comic shop), so I'd sometimes have to sell them on eBay where I was at the mercy of Paypal fees, eBay fees, shipping, boxes, packing material, tape, driving to the post office, etc. 

No little ladies got ripped off. But I sometimes felt less than fulfilled.

Well of course.

I appreciate that... I've moved on from buying/selling, it seems the know-it-all amateurs have invaded the hobby as sellers. I just enjoy a good read every now and then... but thank you!

Dont get bent ...

Despite my personal experience, I would NEVER base my thoughts upon just THAT. I've bought from and talked to dealers across the United States for over 35 years. Most of what I'm saying here is stuff that every one of them has experienced. If you think dealers are primarily con artists, I suggest you strike up a conversation with some of them and find out what THEY go through. 

20 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Despite my personal experience, I would NEVER base my thoughts upon just THAT. I've bought from and talked to dealers across the United States for over 35 years. Most of what I'm saying here is stuff that every one of them has experienced. If you think dealers are primarily con artists, I suggest you strike up a conversation with some of them and find out what THEY go through. 

I already know.  I said I am going to to stop whining.  Its not healthy.  Take a cat...

Go to bed

Captain America would never give unsuspecting seller $5 for hi dollar book.

The End