• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I've made some bad decisions while selling some of my books, but remorse isn't what eventually drives me away from the LCS owner or comic dealer I've been involved with here.  In some cases, the exchange has resulted in me being flagged as a bit of a pushover, which opened me up on occasion to a lot of contempt and verbally-abusive behaviour.  Regardless of the nature of a business, comic-related or not, I'll end up losing any motivation to return and to expose myself to more of this.  On topic, I've never found it particularly difficult to find somewhere else to spend my comics money, with individuals possessing a great deal more courtesy, respect and consideration.

I kinda would like the specifics of this. But that's just me.

There was a time when I first moved to Los Angeles at 19 and my career was, kinda, non-existent, trying to get a break when I had never been west of the Mississippi before and knew no one in California. I got going to a pawn shop. Things were bad. Eating the free crackers at Wendys w/ketchup for meals bad. I was regularly ridiculed for being poor at this one pawn shop in Echo Park that I sold stuff at. I never understood why they had to be so f-ing mean about a person being poor. Had no car. No money for bus. It was the only place I could walk to so off I went. "Minolta Spot meter?, we'll give you 50$." Really? They cost $1,200.00 and this is Hollywood. You'll have no trouble selling it for $ 500.00 Can you give me $100.00. "Well, how about 25$?" they would respond. What could I do.And why mock me?

Flash forward a couple of years, I'm rollen! Put on my worst clothes, shuffle in with my Rolex Submariner. "Hey? Where ya been?" Need some cash, what will you give me for this vintage sub? "$75.00." $75.00? They go for thousands. "Well how about 50$?    I told him a bad word.  I than called him the bad word. Guy thought he was gonna get a collectable Rolex for 50 bucks or whatever. The disappointment on his face was awesome.

Bla, bla, bla owner needs to pay staff, overhead. Fine! But why make fun of someone because they are poor?  Years later Echo Park got all fancy and in the last days of this pawn shop before it got turned into a wood fried pizza/craft beer hipster hang out I wandered back in. The dude had recently died. Place was in shambles. Karma? And I kinda contemplated this guy's death while walking out. I'll just keep those thoughts to myself suffice it to say, good, I'm glad he's dead.

Edited by NoMan

5 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I kinda would like the specifics of this. But that's just me.

There was a time when I first moved to Los Angeles at 19 and my career was, kinda, non-existent, trying to get a break when I had never been west of the Mississippi before and knew no one in California. I got going to a pawn shop. Things were bad. Eating the free crackers at Wendys w/ketchup for meals bad. I was regularly ridiculed for being poor at this one pawn shop in Echo Park that I sold stuff at. I never understood why they had to be so f-ing mean about a person being poor. Had no car. No money for bus. It was the only place I could walk to so off I went. "Minolta Spot meter?, we'll give you 50$." Really? They cost $1,200.00 and this is Hollywood. You'll have no trouble selling it for $ 500.00 Can you give me $100.00. "Well, how about 25$?" they would respond. What could I do.And why mock me?

Flash forward a couple of years, I'm rollen! Put on my worst clothes, shuffle in with my Rolex Submariner. "Hey? Where ya been?" Need some cash, what will you give me for this vintage sub? "$75.00." $75.00? They go for thousands. "Well how about 50$?    F  -------------------

Bla, bla, bla owner needs to pay staff, overhead. Fine! But why make fun of someone because they are poor?  Years later Echo Park got all fancy and in the last days of this pawn shop before it got turned into a wood fried pizza/craft beer hipster hang out I wandered back in. The dude had recently died. Good. 

better edit that or you get strike for masking bruh

8 hours ago, blazingbob said:

I generally find that people who take advantage of others get taken advantage of themselves.

Kharma is what goes around comes around.

It is one thing to get an atta boy because of hard work,  it is another if you did it at the expense of someone else. 

But sometimes they become President. (Not of the USA, of course, some other hypothetical country.)

58 minutes ago, the blob said:

But sometimes they become President. (Not of the USA, of course, some other hypothetical country.)

Now you're gonna get the strike that was for me

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, the blob said:

But sometimes they become ***********  (Not of the USA, of course, some other hypothetical country.)

better edit that bruh or you get a strike for politics. lol 

58 minutes ago, the blob said:

In the comic books sometimes they become President, like when Lex Luthor became President. That's all I'm saying.

Now that's some masking! Or am I masking now? So confused. 

2 minutes ago, kav said:

better edit that bruh or you get a strike for politics. lol 

Clearly not talking about politics here. Not US politics. Maybe comic book politics.

9 minutes ago, NoMan said:

... I kinda contemplated this guy's death while walking out. I'll just keep those thoughts to myself suffice it to say, good, I'm glad he's dead.

You know, I get that some people are just crappy people and take advantage of others and that sucks. It really does.

At the same time, saying you are glad he's dead (I saw the comment before your edit but you walked it back so fair enough) is pretty screwed up. Cripes.

1 hour ago, Park said:

You know, I get that some people are just crappy people and take advantage of others and that sucks. It really does.

At the same time, saying you are glad he's dead (I saw the comment before your edit but you walked it back so fair enough) is pretty screwed up. Cripes.

I am glad he's dead. You're feeling are valid and so or mine. Difference being I actually knew and delt with the guy. And he screwed me always. So you saw what I originally said? Cool. I do try to improve everyday. Some days I do. Some days I don't. And I what I originally said is what I originally ment.

Edited by NoMan

6 minutes ago, the blob said:

Clearly not talking about politics here. Not US politics. Maybe comic book politics.

mods have been known to read between the lines bruh.

Just now, NoMan said:

I am glad he's dead. You're feeling or valid so or mine. So you saw what I originally said? Cool. I do try to improve everyday. Some days I do. Some days I don't. I what I originally said is what I originally ment.

you can feel however you want about anything.  Empathy patrolling can be ignored.

12 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I am glad he's dead. You're feeling are valid and so or mine. Difference being I actually knew and delt with the guy. And he screwed me always. So you saw what I originally said? Cool. I do try to improve everyday. Some days I do. Some days I don't. And I what I originally said is what I originally ment.

Your threshold for wishing someone else a terrible death is pretty low. 

That is amazingly effed up. 

21 minutes ago, kav said:

you can feel however you want about anything.  Empathy patrolling can be ignored.

You recognise eventually that you are dealing with an individual with next to no empathy, and someone like me, who can often be too empathic and caring, will run the risk of being exploited if I don't pay attention and understand that polarity.  A traumatic lesson dating back to primary school, in my case.  When that predator is incapable of inflicting further abuse, for whatever reason; they might have gone out of business or there's been a more extreme development,  it can definitely feel something of a release and provide closure, although I wouldn't go as far as cheering loudly about it.

Just a restrained moving-on process, in my case.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, Park said:

Your threshold for wishing someone else a terrible death is pretty low. 

That is amazingly effed up. 

If you're curious. I feel the same way about "Dr." Phil. Work for him and tell me how you feel about him. Or just talk about my thresholds. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

You recognise eventually that you are dealing with an individual with next to no empathy, and someone like me, who can often be too empathic and caring, will run the risk of being exploited if I don't pay attention and understand that polarity.  A traumatic lesson dating back to primary school, in my case.  When that predator is incapable of inflicting further abuse, for whatever reason; they might have gone out of business or there's been a more extreme development,  it can definitely feel something of a release and provide closure, although I wouldn't go as far as cheering loudly about it.

Just a restrained moving-on process, in my case.

Like I said, I try to better myself everyday. Not sure a small community of comic collectors is a loud audience. If my first post was about this guy, than yeah, you may have a point.

carry on. I derailed enough.

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

If you're curious. I feel the same way about "Dr." Phil. Work for him and tell me how you feel about him. Or just talk about my thresholds. 

Any one else that was mean to you that you want to have suffer while dying?