• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How good of a deal is too good of a deal?
1 1

373 posts in this topic

Sometimes when you feel its not your job to educate, and give someone a pittance for a valuable book, it can become karmic.  I know of one dealer who did that and missed out on a great deal for THE REST of the valuable books when the clueless seller took a few books to an honest dealer and was quoted the value, and what he was willing to pay.  Seller sold him the entire collection worth a couple hundred thou for a very very reasonable price.  Honest seller told him look these books are worth much more than I can pay, but seller didnt want a hassle and just asked him what he could pay, and sold em for that.

Original dealer whose job it wasn't to 'educate' missed out entirely.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:46 PM, Von Cichlid said:

The worst is when they make fun of other customers (that are not currently there) in your presence.  You can then be 90% certain they do the same about you when you are not there.

I've been back into the hobby for only a few years now but I have recently cut down on how much I am going to my own LCS and it has paid dividends in the respect department.  If you are in there every day of the week and spend an average of a couple of hundred a week, then they almost seem annoyed, or even worse, lightly chuckle when you walk in.  On the other hand, if you only show up once a month and spend a few hundred in one transaction, you get treated much, much better and they are much more sincerely happy to see you even though you are spending less money overall.  You can also get a better bulk discount that way.  

It takes some discipline because I do love shopping for comics and my LCS is decent compared to some I have seen in other cities, but at the end of the day it is all about self-respect.  Respect yourself enough by not coming in and allowing yourself to get exposed to that and then it will not happen to you. 

Familiarity breeds contempt. I used to get a little mess from some of the young guys who worked at a shop, but I mocked them back. They are, after all, guys making minimum wage in their 30s living with their parents. I am, despite all my whining here, theoretically a top 10%er. With that said the owner never did it and made it clear he appreciated my business. $30 a week in dollar box books is still $30 a week.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:46 PM, Von Cichlid said:

The worst is when they make fun of other customers (that are not currently there) in your presence.  You can then be 90% certain they do the same about you when you are not there.

I've been back into the hobby for only a few years now but I have recently cut down on how much I am going to my own LCS and it has paid dividends in the respect department.  If you are in there every day of the week and spend an average of a couple of hundred a week, then they almost seem annoyed, or even worse, lightly chuckle when you walk in.  On the other hand, if you only show up once a month and spend a few hundred in one transaction, you get treated much, much better and they are much more sincerely happy to see you even though you are spending less money overall.  You can also get a better bulk discount that way.  

It takes some discipline because I do love shopping for comics and my LCS is decent compared to some I have seen in other cities, but at the end of the day it is all about self-respect.  Respect yourself enough by not coming in and allowing yourself to get exposed to that and then it will not happen to you. 

Familiarity breeds contempt. I used to get a little shyt from some of the young guys who worked at a shop, but I mocked them back. They are, after all, guys making minimum wage in their 30s living with their parents, I sort of have a life. With that said the owner never did it and made it clear he appreciated my business. $30 a week in dollar box books is still $30 a week.

Edited by the blob

I finally had enough at my local pizza place. I was cool with the older, fatter, brother who made the pizza, but his younger skinnier good looking brother (maybe cousin) was a cocky s.o.b. and after the 5th or 6th time he disrespected me I was done with them. Friday night was always pizza and chicken/shrimp parm night. I spent a solid $50 a week there as my kids love pizza. They were our place for pizza and food trays for parties. No more.

39 minutes ago, the blob said:

I finally had enough at my local pizza place. I was cool with the older, fatter, brother who made the pizza, but his younger skinnier good looking brother (maybe cousin) was a cocky s.o.b. and after the 5th or 6th time he disrespected me I was done with them. Friday night was always pizza and chicken/shrimp parm night. I spent a solid $50 a week there as my kids love pizza. They were our place for pizza and food trays for parties. No more.

What is this!? I've never heard of shrimp parm before...

Pizza... I quit it for a month, as I'm getting in better shape, but I'm hooked again... Every weekend...

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's not delivery! (thumbsu 

I have never ever gotten a DiGiornio or any rising pizza to cook where its not raw in the middle.  I have tried manipulating cooking times/temps, using a pizza stone-nothing works.  Havent bought one of them things in over 3 years.

Edited by kav

Just now, kav said:
10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's not delivery! (thumbsu 

I have never ever gotten a DiGiornio or any rising pizza to cook where its not raw in the middle.  I have tried manipulating cooking times, using a pizza stone-nothing works.  Havent bought one of them things in over 3 years.

As kid and the few times that we had it, I believe we tried Tombstone brand...... I remember it tasting good....

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

As kid and the few times that we had it, I believe we tried Tombstone brand...... I remember it tasting good....

Tombstone is not rising and thus good.  All rising pizzas suck.

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Right

I think they got wacked out of the competition by franchises with bigger bankrolls

Best pizza I ever had was Roma Pizzeria #2 in rancho cordova.  Too far away but when I worked in that area (and ate in the daytime)

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Best pizza I ever had was Roma Pizzeria #2 in rancho cordova.  Too far away but when I worked in that area (and ate in the daytime)

We have Boston Pizza up here, imo its horrible.

PizzaPizza has amazing sauce.

We also have little Caesars and Dominos

They all have something they are good at