• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White pages obsession
1 1

14 posts in this topic

cause slabs with white pages hold their value better.   and i'm sure its also nice to know that whatever you own is as nice as possible even if youre not gonna see inside it.

14 minutes ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Why are so many collectors obsessed with collecting white pages and paying a premium for them?

I mean they are encapsulated in a CGC slab and most likely will never get cracked to read or admire the white pages.  

So why the obsession?

I would say play the devil's advocate and think through the answer yourself for a minute. 

Can you think of ANY reasons why a collector of comics (or anything really) would want to have a comic closer to its original condition vs one that has sustained damage? 

Can you think of ANY reason someone would preserve a collectible rather than use it for its original purpose?

**Snarkier responses edited out**

43 minutes ago, revat said:

I would say play the devil's advocate and think through the answer yourself for a minute. 

Can you think of ANY reasons why a collector of comics (or anything really) would want to have a comic closer to its original condition vs one that has sustained damage? 

Can you think of ANY reason someone would preserve a collectible rather than use it for its original purpose?

**Snarkier responses edited out**

Ok, understood.  It just seems so different as it's something you can't go thru. For example a collector's car you can sit in, a nice watch you can wear etc.  But I guess that's the nature of this hobby, along with sports cards, coins, they are worth more in a protected case knowing they are secured. 

3 hours ago, Bluemedgroup said:

Why are so many collectors obsessed with collecting white pages and paying a premium for them?

I mean they are encapsulated in a CGC slab and most likely will never get cracked to read or admire the white pages.  

So why the obsession?

Because I collect comic books, and not comic book covers.  And I collect comic books in their raw state as well as slabbed.

Edited by namisgr

Are people actually "paying a premium" for white page quality..?

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't notice that much of a difference in sales numbers regarding the books I "research". Let's say 1 Silver Age book I'm looking at sold in 9.0 for $1,900 at OW/W. A WHITE PQ sold for $1,950.

It's not like OW/W PQ doubles in price to WHITE PQ. I personally wouldn't call it "a premium".

Better products always fetch better prices.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, TwoPiece said:

I'm certainly no expert, but I don't notice that much of a difference in sales numbers regarding the books I "research". Let's say 1 Silver Age book I'm looking at sold in 9.0 for $1,900 at OW/W. A WHITE PQ sold for $1,950.

It's not like OW/W PQ doubles in price to WHITE PQ. I personally wouldn't call it "a premium".

Better products always fetch better prices.

Premium? Eh, I wouldn't say that, but definitely a little more.   Quicker sales? . Absolutely (from my experience anyway) - anything OW or better is fine by me. (on SA books)

On 7/1/2019 at 2:26 PM, Wah said:

cause slabs with white pages hold their value better.   and i'm sure its also nice to know that whatever you own is as nice as possible even if youre not gonna see inside it.

.This and love white pgs on my golden age books. 

On 7/2/2019 at 8:00 AM, TwoPiece said:

The difference in sale price between a white paged comic and an off-white or cream to off-white copy can be substantial.

Edited by namisgr

On 7/7/2019 at 6:44 AM, namisgr said:

The difference in sale price between a white paged comic and an off-white or cream to off-white copy can be substantial.

Do you have any examples? I personally haven't seen any differences that I would consider "substantial". I also don't look at much Golden Age, though.

I would think that by default all Moderns would be "substantial" because IMO someone would have to be stupid to purchase any PQ below "White" for a Modern. I don't think that's really applicable to this particular discussion.