• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pen mark or printing error on "NM"?

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. 

Just purchased this book online graded as NM. Before opening the final packaging I noticed what appears to be a pen mark over the bar code. 

Am I correct in my assessment or is there a chance this is a printing issue?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190702_110240755.jpg

Edited by Ducktape
grammar :-P

20 minutes ago, Ducktape said:

Hi everyone. 

Just purchased this book online graded as NM. Before opening the final packaging I noticed what appears a pen mark over the bar code. 

Am I correct in my assessment or is there a chance this is a printing issue?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190702_110240755.jpg

My immediate thought is no pen mark because the width of mark varies and it looks more like some kind of drip/splash.  I'm thinking print error.

2 minutes ago, Ducktape said:

Thanks for the response kav! :foryou: 

Wow. I'm really grateful for the help!

Keep in mind it's just my opinion.  But as an artist who has used every kind of pen and brush and brushpen, I feel confident in stating no pen or brush made that mark.  Even tho brushes make lines of varying width, thats why they are used, the way this line varies is unique especially here:

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 4.53.23 PM.png

1 hour ago, kav said:

Keep in mind it's just my opinion.  But as an artist who has used every kind of pen and brush and brushpen, I feel confident in stating no pen or brush made that mark.  Even tho brushes make lines of varying width, thats why they are used, the way this line varies is unique especially here:

Screenshot 2019-07-01 at 4.53.23 PM.png

It's not just an opinion, in my estimation. I think you're on the money, Kav, you nailed it and here's why. Look to the right of the black "second printing" bar and you'll see a continuation of that bluish/purple hue through the white strip to the right of the black bar that is way too wide to be a pen mark, and 10 t0 20 times the width of the line, for the most part.

34 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It's not just an opinion, in my estimation. I think you're on the money, Kav, you nailed it and here's why. Look to the right of the black "second printing" bar and you'll see a continuation of that bluish/purple hue through the white strip to the right of the black bar that is way too wide to be a pen mark, and 10 t0 20 times the width of the line, for the most part.

good catch-it seems to be an ink drip that then ran when book was moved.  It seems to be printer's ink as the paper is not rippled from moisture effect.

Edited by kav

3 hours ago, Ducktape said:

Just purchased this book online graded as NM. Before opening the final packaging I noticed what appears to be a pen mark over the bar code. 

What book is it?  Go find other images of the book and see if the mark is on those copies. 

20 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What book is it?  Go find other images of the book and see if the mark is on those copies. 

It's silver surfer black #1 2nd print. I've been on eBay looking around but haven't found any with the mark. 

Really appreciate the help everyone!