• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

7 inch mylar bag question
1 1

15 posts in this topic

6.78 bags seem to tight and dangerous for me unless I cut a corner to slip the board in first.  So 7 inch bags are so much easier for me to slide comics into without getting damaged.  Im just wondering if thats how bags and boards work.  7inch polly bag with 7inch board?  would that give me enough board to protect all sides of the comic?  What size do most people use on their moderns?  and do allot of you put it into a mylite as well?

Im just saving up comics till I get enough that I can send in for a prescreen to cgc.  so I want to make sure that I have them in as well protected until they get there.

1 minute ago, Bigtruck said:

good god there is always one mess  polly 7x 10

If you're calling me a mess, well, you're not a wrong.

Normally people refer to mylar bags by their depth. Not height and width. lol

I use the same designated bags and boards by the same producer. If you criss-cross apple sauce manufacturers then I could see the boards possibly being a tight fit.

8 minutes ago, Bigtruck said:

ya I crossed brands, so much for everything being universal I guess.

I play Magic, and I double-sleeve my expensive decks. I always buy Ultra Pro inners and outers, and once bought Dragon Shield outers. It was then that I knew nothing is universal from peripherals perspective. I learned from a different media.

So, the comics will always be the same size, but there's no guarantees for anything else...

Sorry you had to learn the hard way! Hopefully it didn't cost you too much.

Measure the book width and buy a bag that is 1/2 inch bigger and a cardboard that is 1/4 inch bigger and that should be good.  Of course if you have different size books you are SOL.  That is my crappy advice.  I used 4 mil mylar on mine and went big but at least I didn't buy 10 different sizes, drives me nuts...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6e4.jpg.2b7caff0146c10ef816c980369b4f822.jpg

Now I can just grab the cardboard and slide the book in and out like a pizza without touching it.  Too much finger damage on top of my books from pulling them in and out.  This set up is so stiff the book doesn't move around much.  Is it professional? Not really, but I don't own a shop and don't want to stock a dozen different sizes.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_971.jpg.7d8d69e20d34e1acd90e495100a5a1ed.jpg

Mylite 4 are a lot stiffer so you might want to get a couple more opinions before blindly following mine...

5 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

Measure the book width and buy a bag that is 1/2 inch bigger and a cardboard that is 1/4 inch bigger and that should be good.  Of course if you have different size books you are SOL.  That is my crappy advice.  I used 4 mil mylar on mine and went big but at least I didn't buy 10 different sizes, drives me nuts...

Now I can just grab the cardboard and slide the book in and out like a pizza without touching it.  Too much finger damage on top of my books from pulling them in and out.  This set up is so stiff the book doesn't move around much.  Is it professional? Not really, but I don't own a shop and don't want to stock a dozen different sizes.

Mylite 4 are a lot stiffer so you might want to get a couple more opinions before blindly following mine...

We're talking about Moderns that do not need this much handling awareness.

Buying bags and boards from the same manufacturer will fix what ails the OP.

I use 2mill mylars and full back boards for most of my collection but I don't deal with moderns much mostly focus on SA and trying to get some GA when I can afford too. 

I agree that buying the bags and the boards from the same manufacturer will help fix the issue. Also, make sure that both the bag and the board are slightly bigger – it will make packaging much easier and fit better as well. Try 72hours.ca, I used their Mylar bags on several occasions and was always pleased with the quality, and they have the 7-inch bags and boards you are looking for. Also, I never encountered problems with their sizes as they were precisely the advertised size.

Edited by doahead

On 7/2/2019 at 8:03 AM, Karl Liebl said:

Get yourself some disposable cotton gloves.  I got a package of like 15 pairs and I've washed and reused them for over a year.  No finger prints!

On 5/18/2022 at 9:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Get yourself some disposable cotton gloves.  I got a package of like 15 pairs and I've washed and reused them for over a year.  No finger prints!

100% this.  Other than the few times I've had to go to my LCS to pick-up a random issue, I haven't physically touched (ie made skin contact with) a comic book in like 4 years.

On 5/19/2022 at 12:14 AM, ExNihilo said:

100% this.  Other than the few times I've had to go to my LCS to pick-up a random issue, I haven't physically touched (ie made skin contact with) a comic book in like 4 years.

:butbutbutemoji: they get so lonely.  

I generally put books into silver sized bags and boards unless they do not fit then go larger for those books. Even my moderns go into silver sized because I prefer to keep my books in the same sized bags/ boards and I dislike the bags /boards that are a tight fit,

That's exactly what I do. Before BCE discontinued them, I bought a bunch of 4 mil Silver Age size Timelocks because I like the folding tab and a bunch of acid free backing boards. My OCD needed uniformity for my raws on the shelf.