• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vertigo

26 posts in this topic

Recently we have had six mainstream taps Into the territory with preacher, Lucifer, hellblazer, doom patrol, swamp thing and now sandman. Vertigo’s roots ( pun intended) are over 30 years old now, and it has recently been canceled, making news, is vertigo ready to pop for back issues? Cain has appeared in a cartoon, the house of mystery in an animated full length :whistle: what do you think the hidden gems are?

Edited by shiverbones
Forgot preacher and lucifer :/

Reading Vertigo Titles (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Swamp Thing, Sandman.) was definitely a pivotal moment in my comic reading evolution. 

I collected Marvel moderns in the early 90's as a kid (ASM, Ghost Rider, Silver Surfer.) Had slowed down heading into my teens until in high school a buddy of mine tossed his copy of V for Vendetta at me just saying "read this."

Flew through it, then Watchmen ... Then all of Swamp Thing (Most likely my favorite of the bunch), Read a Chunk of Sandman and various other titles. Vertigo relit the comic reading and collecting fire for me and showed me how much could be done within the medium.

Obviously a huge Alan Moore Fan... 

IMG_20181224_081011542.thumb.jpg.d06036df055e6f8d80d4c5120067d0da.jpg

IMG_20181224_081023686.thumb.jpg.dfb9c02930f2bd0d2fd6ca0fe28253c5.jpg

IMG_20181224_081029683.thumb.jpg.e360df52c5a9473c61c069e09ed4d956.jpg

Pretty similar story for me but a couple years earlier. Though flaming carrot and yummy fur were found at the same time as sandman and hellblazer so I count those as changing my views from superheroes as well. Except for swampthing I was a marvel zombie for new books in the mid 80s, so all those really opened my eyes

Edited by shiverbones

On 7/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, shiverbones said:

Recently we have had six mainstream taps Into the territory with preacher, Lucifer, hellblazer, doom patrol, swamp thing and now sandman. Vertigo’s roots ( pun intended) are over 30 years old now, and it has recently been canceled, making news, is vertigo ready to pop for back issues? Cain has appeared in a cartoon, the house of mystery in an animated full length :whistle: what do you think the hidden gems are?

Don't forget Stardust.

On 7/2/2019 at 3:35 PM, rlextherobot said:

Y: The Last Man has been ordered to series, and is ready-made for the current crop of prestige, serial high concept TV shows. Personally I feel like 100 Bullets is gonna get snatched up by some production company sooner rather than later. 

Yeah, I cringe every time someone mentions it as a movie property. That series was made for Showtime or Netflix as a series where you could introduce the Minute Men at the pace the comic book did.

7 hours ago, paperheart said:

Scalped :cloud9:

I really liked the dreaming starting with the many mansions storyline, it was hit or miss before that, I remember liking midnight mass, but haven’t read that since it came out

Edited by shiverbones

1 hour ago, shiverbones said:

I really liked the dreaming starting with the many mansions storyline, it was hit or miss before that, I remember liking midnight mass, but haven’t read that since it came out

have but haven't read The Dreaming.  Just found the last two issues of Hellblazer I was missing :banana:, so I've got 300 of those to read. Also liked Midnight Mass. Pathetically, I've read at least 90% of all Vertigo books, will be close to 99% once I've read Dreaming and Hellblazer.

Sweet Tooth was awesome. Unknown Soldier by Dysart was brilliant. Swamp Thing by BKV- loved it.

18 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

long live Karen Berger 👍

She authored a book recently titled "She Could Fly". I read the 1st issue, very outside of the box and well written. 

Edited by Lurker89

On 7/2/2019 at 2:04 PM, shiverbones said:

Just had to Google this and watch it, very cool! DC should think about doing a live action mini series anthology style show. I’d love to see that!