Superman #82 Not all 9.8s created equal?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

52 posts
Posted (edited)

Superman #82 features what very well may be my favorite Superman cover of all time. Drawn by the unmistakable Dan Jurgens and inked by Brett Breeding, it is the final chapter of the Reign of The Supermen storyline, which brought the Man Of Steel back from the dead after his famed battle with Doomsday. Even during a time where gimmicky covers were a dime a dozen, it’s still extremely striking.

With that said I noticed that the color intensity in the chromium covers varies from issue to issue and is noticeably different, though it does not seem to affect the grading process. Also, the “Superman” moniker on some covers appears to be downright transparent, even with text visible from the first page of the issue through the cover. Again, this does not seem to affect the grade.

I know there are a more than a few DOS collector’s around these parts and was wondering if anyone else had noticed and was puzzled by this...

 

B740E0B5-CFC5-4267-ADC7-5E6FDAA8A776.jpeg

 

2211171759231.jpg

 

C719BFA7-1D28-4733-8116-17C149250CD9.jpeg

 

As as you can see from these examples,  all graded 9.8, they each look vastly different. I know sunlight exposure can “yellow” books, but was also wondering if this was perhaps the chromium cover reacting to possible pressing. Thoughts?

Edited by Bibbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
385 posts

I have seen this a lot myself as well. It appears to be an issue they had in manufacturing,  but common enough that cgc has not noted this as a manufacturing error. Where some appear gold , others more silver and transparent.  Several people have started trying to ask more money claiming one is more rare than the other, and the error copy, yet they both seem relatively common. Still I would agree it is a good cover. Plus one of the issues I have been looking for although I am after the #82 second print 9.8 and considering only one on census i will have to hope some of my raws come back that high..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,258 posts

Full cover chromium comics were NEW in 1993, and the first few ordered (starting with X-O Manowar #0 from Valiant) were made in very large quantities.  As a result, new process, high quantity, there are lots-and-lots of variations (unintentional) for those books. :foryou:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 posts

So it seems like we're chalking this up to various manufacturing errors due to mass printing of chromium covers.  This was 1993, so I guess that makes sense.  This does, in my opinion, hurt those who are trying to price gouge based on "errors" for this issue. 

I would say that the top photo is the correct/intended version, and that any other variations in color and transparent covers were simply the chromium not being correctly applied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,023 posts
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Full cover chromium comics were NEW in 1993, and the first few ordered (starting with X-O Manowar #0 from Valiant) were made in very large quantities.  As a result, new process, high quantity, there are lots-and-lots of variations (unintentional) for those books. :foryou:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,258 posts
21 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
1 hour ago, valiantman said:

Full cover chromium comics were NEW in 1993, and the first few ordered (starting with X-O Manowar #0 from Valiant) were made in very large quantities.  As a result, new process, high quantity, there are lots-and-lots of variations (unintentional) for those books. :foryou:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

:sick:

I literally had no idea. :whatthe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,192 posts
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

You mean Chromium front cover/card back, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,190 posts
27 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

You mean Chromium front cover/card back, right?

Yeah, with the chromium sheet being attached to a thin strip of the back cover that wraps around to the front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56,023 posts
1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:
2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:
3 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

You mean Chromium front cover/card back, right?

Yeah, with the chromium sheet being attached to a thin strip of the back cover that wraps around to the front.

A la Lady Death #1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40,157 posts
4 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Superman #82 isn't a full cover chromium book. It's a hybrid half chromium sheet attached to a cardboard cover, a la Lady Death #1.

FYI for nerd minutiae.

You had a list somewhere of the full-chromium covers . . . not really that many issues if I recall. hm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1