• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jesus in the Golden Age/Question

27 posts in this topic

I'm trying to identify Golden Age comics that depict Jesus in any way, shape, or manner. Can anyone help me add to my very short list of titles? Thanks.

The Life of Christ Visualized 1942-42

Picture Stories from the Bible 1944

Bible Tales for Young Folk 1953

Classics Illustrated The Story of Jesus 1955

Tales from the Great Book 1955

The Guild put out quite a few both Gold and Silver

There were (not all guild)

Topix

Treasure Chest

Sunday Pix Weekly in the 40's and 50's covering the Bible in general

The Life of Christ was put out by more than 1 company

1083163071_InLovewithJesus_zpshjkhlmkl.jpg.52c8dd2f2c0546545f6aaaec0abd5be6.jpg1790815875_LifeofChrist_zpss3ztpy9l.jpg.a3a3d813079be45c90281e528143da0d.jpg

2071589977_SundayPixVol9-49_zpsprsstxgm.jpg.1f5390f5ab11f81fc9a9bc0dba915db1.jpg

609388395_TreasureChestVol5No5_zpsdovuvadj.jpg.b25fd425075f3601cdcad405c56c987a.jpg

1955793774_OfSuchistheKingdomreprintsfromVol6_zps1adjowyl.jpg.d47f0babf89ed197268ec59e17a5588a.jpg

Life of Christ_zpss3ztpy9l.jpg

In Love with Jesus_zpshjkhlmkl.jpg

Sunday Pix Vol 6-42_zpsevzmm1bw.jpg

In Love with Jesus_zpshjkhlmkl.jpg

Edited by Montezuma

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

There were multiple EC Bible Picture Stories books, as well as the 1944 book you mentioned. Just for clarity; you might have known already.

CCFA78CB-6B17-459E-8081-9340E6AC4CC3.thumb.jpeg.992984d2f50246ccc40bea32e28b59c9.jpeg

I've said it before, but I still think "Death of Jesus" is my all-time favorite label notation on a slabbed book.  Not wrong, but missing the point completely.

Picture_Stories_NT.jpg

4 minutes ago, EC ed said:

picstoriesbible_nt1_f.jpg

This one interests me just from a weird curiosity what it could even be about - as there isn't anything found in the bible about this 'story', and only really exist in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas - which I HIGHLY doubt this comic would be putting into comic form as it would end up as violent as other crime/horror GA books :D

Edited by Sauce Dog
spelling....jesus take the edits!

2 hours ago, EC ed said:

Are you talking covers only?

I am actually doing research. I'm in the early, early just thinking about it stage, so I'm just trying to identify potential sources for now. I'm considering writing something on Jesus in comics. I've presented some papers on the topic, and I've written a little about Christianity in manga and will have a chapter in a book dealing with Daredevil's Catholicism (Netflix's Daredevil) coming out later this year or sometime next. So, it's a topic I'm interested in. Just trying to get a feel for the lay of the land at this point.

Thanks, everyone. This is really helpful. I knew about David C. Cook's stuff, but I didn't realize it had gone that far back. I have a book collecting his Jesus narratives, but its copyright page says 1978. The style of art should have given it away. Good info.

I knew about the E.C. stuff, Sunday Pix, and Treasure Chest, too, but the "Of Such Is the Kingdom," "In Love with Jesus," and "The Life of Christ" are completely new to me. I really appreciate the pointers.

1 hour ago, Sauce Dog said:

This one interests me just from a weird curiosity what it could even be about - as there isn't anything found in the bible about this 'story', and only really exist in the Infancy Gospel of Thomas - which I HIGHLY doubt this comic would be putting into comic form as it would end up as violent as other crime/horror GA books :D

I will try to check when I get home... I vaguely recall a detailed list at the back of the book citing chapter and verse for every scene.  It might have been a different series, though... I’ve got the classics illustrated life and a couple tales  from the great book in addition to the picture stories collections 

11 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

And I looked at my complete new testament edition, assuming they didn't dramatically edit the issues when they collected them... that scene is on the cover but not in the actual book. o.O

6 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And I looked at my complete new testament edition, assuming they didn't dramatically edit the issues when they collected them... that scene is on the cover but not in the actual book. o.O

xD of course...maybe they contracted the cover art first thinking they actually HAD a story in the bible to pull from on that, but then actually read the thing only to realize they got nothing! 

On 7/3/2019 at 2:25 PM, Sauce Dog said:

On 7/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, buttock said:

Here's one with a Catholic priest on the cover...

lf (5).jpeg

oh, my.