• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the dealers: How to decide when to hold one back for you?
2 2

52 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Logic like this results in a booth full of Rom Spaceknights #1

:cloud9:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I remember asking a major dealer this question once and his answer was “my collection is my current inventory”. This guy had owned just about everything from Action #1 down. 

I thought this odd and kind of sad. But then I realized I was only looking at it from my own collector’s perspective. 

I still think it is sad...

This is what I am driving at.  He “had owned” an Action 1.  And yes theoretically he could buy it back. But perhaps some systematic method of holding back really good stuff without crippling your overall business would make sense?

I don't know if I am a "dealer" (whatever that is), but I buy a lot of books, I sell a lot of books and I keep a few books. 

For me, it's easy. I look at something I think is cool. I think of how much money I could sell it for. If I want the book more than the money it goes into my collection. 

2 hours ago, Krishosein said:

Rule #1 I think of it as you can almost in 99.99% of the cases can always get that book again as what you have does exist the only time that I can theoretically think of when you wont be able to ever get it again is if you sell something 1 of a kind to a crazy person and they take whatever it is and light it on fire or destroy it so no one can ever have it even the person themselves I bet its super rare that someone would take a 1 of a kind item for $$$$$$ and destroy it but you can always get something back with the right amount of resources. Unless they are crazy and destroy it. :insane:

I doubt I’ll ever come across another Dead At 17

31 minutes ago, kav said:

The one I’m talking about had an original print run of 20 copies and rumor has it plenty of them went in the trash. There’s 3-4 copies accounted for on the boards. It’s a four figure comic

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The one I’m talking about had an original print run of 20 copies and rumor has it plenty of them went in the trash. There’s 3-4 copies accounted for on the boards. It’s a four figure comic

:whatthe:

18 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

hm but there are 3-4 copies for the right amount of resources you could still own it technically 

41 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

hm but there are 3-4 copies for the right amount of resources you could still own it technically 

Angry Youth Comix #1, heard about a copy selling on eBay a decade ago. What amount or resources could track something like that down

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Angry Youth Comix #1, heard about a copy selling on eBay a decade ago. What amount or resources could track something like that down

A lotto win? 

a US powerball 500 mill win probably, unless like I said earlier a crazy person comes and buys the last and only copy and burns it or destroys it hence 99.99% you can get it with the right amount of resources. :acclaim:lol 

48 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Is this the one?  What is it rare or something?

OCT002079_1._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg

8 hours ago, Krishosein said:

Rule #1 I think of it as you can almost in 99.99% of the cases can always get that book again as what you have does exist the only time that I can theoretically think of when you wont be able to ever get it again is if you sell something 1 of a kind to a crazy person and they take whatever it is and light it on fire or destroy it so no one can ever have it even the person themselves I bet its super rare that someone would take a 1 of a kind item for $$$$$$ and destroy it but you can always get something back with the right amount of resources. Unless they are crazy and destroy it. :insane:

spoken like someone who doesn't collect GA (not that theres anything wrong with that).... there have been a few sales I've never gotten the chance to undo...

7 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

spoken like someone who doesn't collect GA (not that theres anything wrong with that).... there have been a few sales I've never gotten the chance to undo...

Yup. 

3 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I can stop buying and I can get rid of a good chunk of my collection and be fine, but the thought of having no comics kind of horrifies me. 

Just imagine if your buddy suggested you sell all your comics and "do something fun".  

I literally cannot think of ANYTHING that would be fun enough to make me do this.  Not a trip to the moon with a bunch of playmates, not nuthin.

12 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I know I am just joking around, I know a lot of the sales many people will not be able to ever get back again. I was just playing the devils advocate. Was just trying to poke a hole in the Rule from a logistics and theoretical view not what reality is. As I know in reality 99.99% of certain sales will never be had back again or given another chance to undo.