• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Science-Fiction & Fantasy OA favourites!
1 1

78 posts in this topic

This particular daily comes from the 1960 JEFF HAWKE (UK) newspaper strip adventure, ‘Survival’, something that I consider to be an artistic highpoint for the series (and a really neat dark, moody and claustrophobic pot-boiler of a story). The artwork for this serial is of a consistently high-standard throughout the 71 dailies that comprise the storyline, with few (if any) lacklustre examples.

My introduction to the serial . . .

“Whilst on a deep space voyage, Jeff Hawke’s spacecraft is accidently shot down by a strange alien craft onto a nearby asteroid, with one of the crew members badly injured during the crash-landing. To help make amends for their tragic error, the aliens who caused the accident, “repair and improve” the dying crewman . . . with resulting grave consequences that will soon unfold for Jeff and his team.”

This particular daily is, to my mind, a standout example from a standout serial. Panel one sets the stage as Jeff and his crew put into position the strange alien cylinder that contains the ‘repaired and improved’ crewman. Panel two sees Jeff cautiously unscrewing the cap off the life-healing cylinder . . . leading into a wonderful cliff-hanger of a third and final climactic panel in which the altered ‘Mac’ slowly emerges . . . eyes glowing strangely.

Artwork by Sydney Jordan and Colin Howard.

GEYME0iP_2607170826561sbpi.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Painted artwork by Frank Hampson for a 1957 cover strip of DAN DARE, PILOT OF THE FUTURE, that featured in the UK's Eagle magazine.  This particle adventure is called, 'Reign of the Robots'.  Each weekly episode comprised of two fully-painted pages. 

SDi1nFQB_1301181520051sbpi.jpg

Brian Bysouth's magnificent painting for the 1973 film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I've always been a huge fan of the Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen collaborations and to my mind Golden Voyage of Sinbad marks the end of their better efforts (I was never that keen on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Clash of the Titans, which followed on from GVOS). The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is also notable for landing featured actor Tom Baker the subsequent starring role of Dr Who as a result of his performance in the movie (Dr Who producer Barry Letts was really taken by Tom Baker's performance).  For whatever reason, the former owner of this artwork had decided to peel away the captioned materials (currently being re-created for me), so with a little bit of tender loving care the artwork will be soon be restored to its full glory. This OA is at the top of my list of personal favourite movie poster paintings that I currently own.

dnQZElky_0404191550421sbpi.jpg

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

Brian Bysouth's magnificent painting for the 1973 film, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD. I've always been a huge fan of the Charles Schneer and Ray Harryhausen collaborations and to my mind Golden Voyage of Sinbad marks the end of their better efforts (I was never that keen on Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger or Clash of the Titans, which followed on from GVOS). The Golden Voyage of Sinbad is also notable for landing featured actor Tom Baker the subsequent starring role of Dr Who as a result of his performance in the movie (Dr Who producer Barry Letts was really taken by Tom Baker's performance).  For whatever reason, the former owner of this artwork had decided to peel away the captioned materials (currently being re-created for me), so with a little bit of tender loving care the artwork will be soon be restored to its full glory. This OA is at the top of my list of personal favourite movie poster paintings that I currently own.

dnQZElky_0404191550421sbpi.jpg

Movie was great too...hope to let us see it restored...

Tom Chantrell's original artwork painting for THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT (1977).

THE PEOPLE THAT TIME FORGOT is a 1977 Technicolor fantasy/adventure film based on the novel The People That Time Forgot (1924) and Out of Time's Abyss (1924) by Edgar Rice Burroughs. It was produced by Britain's Amicus Productions and directed by Kevin Connor. Like Connor's other two Burroughs-derived films, The Land That Time Forgot and At the Earth's Core, the film was distributed in the United States by American International Pictures.

The film is a direct sequel to The Land That Time Forgot, which initiated the series in 1975. The story follows a rescue expedition, led by Patrick Wayne in search of his friend, played by Doug McClure, who had vanished many years before. The expedition lands on Caprona, the same fantastic prehistoric land where dinosaurs and barbarian tribes of men coexist.

ojuvy7xs_0607180439421gpadd.jpg

I really enjoyed the Shockrockets series when it was published in France. 

Therefore, I'm very happy to own four pages that makes for a nice sequence of "hero rising from the ashes of defeat and ready to kick " with top notch storytelling.

Here, you can almost hear the engines coming to live and beginning to roar, the thunder behind the Shockrockets.

Shockrockets #5 page 21, 22 Shockrockets #6 cover and page 6

Stuart Immonen (Penciller)
Wade Von Grawbadger (Inker)
Kurt Busiek (Writer)

Immonen%20Shockrockets5%20p21%20w.jpg

Immonen%20Shockrockets5%20p22%20w.jpg

Immonen%20Shockrockets6%20cover%20w.jpg

Immonen%20Shockrockets6%20p9%20w.jpg

Edited by Mycroft

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

^ yuck, forum resized the pic and took all the detail out.

Many cameras let you take more than one photo, a few of the more (admittedly) expensive models let you get closer too!

Just now, vodou said:

Many cameras let you take more than one photo, a few of the more (admittedly) expensive models let you get closer too!

I took many pics of the little details in various parts of the painting with my iphone but I didn't want to photobomb the thread.

Stand alone cameras are better, yes, but the iphone pics are so convenient.