• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Science-Fiction & Fantasy OA favourites!
1 1

78 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Bronty said:

^ yuck, forum resized the pic and took all the detail out.

Still looks good to me.

I would suggest using CamScanner on your smartphone to "square" up such pictures.

Unused movie poster design for the 1968 film, THE POWER. Not 100% sure who the artist is but I lean towards Gray Morrow, who is credited with painting the used movie poster design (and to my eye, there are strong similarities). I may be wrong.  The movie was both George Pal and Byron Haskin's last outing on the big screen (WAR OF THE WORLDS is probably their best-known and loved collaboration). I'm a big fan of George Pal's work . . . and director Byron Haskin was responsible for bringing my all-time-favourite OUTER LIMITS episode, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' to life based on Harlan Ellison's powerful teleplay.  Big shout out to my friend Richie Halegua who went out of his way to get me this painting.

cGbceOcc_1204190952431sbpi.jpg

The cover prelim to the Marshall Rogers graphic novel adaptation of Harlan Ellison's award-winning Outer Limits teleplay, Demon With a Glass Hand.

As a long-time OL fan, and this being my enduring favourite episode of that outstanding TV show, this one's a cornerstone of my collection.

Very close to the published cover (with minor changes).

Thanks are in order to fellow collectors Felix Lu and Yoram Matzkin (who pointed me in the direction of the source for this artwork), Chris Killackey (who helped with an overseas payment at a time before I opened a paypal account) and to Anthony Snyder (who sold me the art - great guy to do business with).

TaQPrNmh_031117072017lola.jpg

Illustrator, comic artist, essayist and screen writer, James Cawthorn died December 2, 2008, following hospitalization at Queen Elisabeth Hospital in Durham, UK. He died 19 days before his 79th birthday. Cawthorn's illustrations were used in books by science fiction and fantasy writers as diverse as Arthur C. Clarke, Poul Anderson, Michael Moorcock, L. Sprague de Camp, and Robert E. Howard. He is probably best known for his many illustrations for the work of Edgar Rice Burroughs, as well as J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings. With Michael Moorcock, he wrote the screenplay for the 1975 movie, The Land That Time Forgot. On a personal level, although I never met Jim in person, we regularly exchanged letters over a 20 year period. Back in the mid-1980s, Jim subscribed to my fanzine, SHADOW PLAY, and would contribute illustrations to some of the (self-published) projects I worked on. At christmas time, when exchanging cards, Jim would draw gag cartoons on the cards he sent me. During the course of mailing items to me, Jim would sometimes include the odd unfinished and aborted original from his adaptations of the Moorcock CHRONICLES OF HAWKMOON series, a selection of which are presented here . . .

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

5 hours ago, mtlevy1 said:

Here is one of mine - Finlay

finlay_twilight.jpg

Really like this one, Mark.  I'm a fan of the old TZ series and also admire the incredible talent of Virgil Finlay . . . wow, what an incredible combination, colour me green with envy!  Any idea about the publication date for the illustration?

Here are a couple:

Sky Masters October 27, 1958
 Jack Kirby (Penciller) ,  Wally Wood (Inker)

f8PaBTtK_2211171720201sbpi.jpg

Babylon 5 In Valen's Name 2 p. 4 (April 1998)
Michael Collins (Penciller) ,  David Roach (Inker)

EXtVbDRN_1107181300071gpadd.jpg

Rock and Roll Aliens (1988) From Rip Off Comix #19
Larry  Todd (All)

RocknRollAliensLarryTodd01.jpg

Race for the Moon #1 advertisement
Jack Kirby (Penciller) ,  Al Williamson (Inker)

Raceforthemoon1ad.gif

19 hours ago, The Voord said:

Really like this one, Mark.  I'm a fan of the old TZ series and also admire the incredible talent of Virgil Finlay . . . wow, what an incredible combination, colour me green with envy!  Any idea about the publication date for the illustration?

Thanks - I was pretty pleased when I was able to acquire it - I believe it was  published in a 1960 - 1965 Doubleday catalog, still looking for someone to tell me when...

Original painting used for the commercial break in the Channel 3 screening of 1960s television series, THE OUTER LIMITS. My guess is that Channel 3 was a local TV station - so any further information would be welcome.

No idea who the artist is, but this is basically a pastiche of imagery taken from two 1950s science-fiction movies - i.e. DESTINATION MOON (1950) and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE (1959).

ne8vVQIK_0610170900321gpadd.jpg

GALAXY HORROR (Italian release of the British 1969 movie, THE BODY STEALERS).

With an image size of approximately 17” x 13”, this was an Italian re-designed poster artwork that differs significantly to the (rather sedate) original UK quad poster version.

Re-named GALAXY HORROR for its Italian release, the resulting advertising art dramatically enlivens what is basically a low-budget British science-fiction thriller that is both short on excitement and special effects. As such, the movie short-changed cinema-going audiences captivated by a poster image that is basically a cheat and had very little to do with the movie it was seeking to promote!

Not entirely sure who the artist is on this one (possibly Franco Picchioni?), but the artwork (which has a nice retro-feel to it) instantly appealed to me when I saw it up for sale on Mitch Itkowitz’s Graphic Collectibles web-site several years ago. Bought entirely for the artwork itself and not for the dull movie it represents. 

G0T5vg0j_1801181741171sbpi.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 10:21 AM, The Voord said:

Unused movie poster design for the 1968 film, THE POWER. Not 100% sure who the artist is but I lean towards Gray Morrow, who is credited with painting the used movie poster design (and to my eye, there are strong similarities). I may be wrong.  The movie was both George Pal and Byron Haskin's last outing on the big screen (WAR OF THE WORLDS is probably their best-known and loved collaboration). I'm a big fan of George Pal's work . . . and director Byron Haskin was responsible for bringing my all-time-favourite OUTER LIMITS episode, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' to life based on Harlan Ellison's powerful teleplay.  Big shout out to my friend Richie Halegua who went out of his way to get me this painting.

cGbceOcc_1204190952431sbpi.jpg

Great film in my opinion, and I saw it when I was 13...great special effects...especially the crosswalk...."Don't Run" classic... I thought Michael Rennie and George Hamilton  were outstanding. A HD versions of the film was on recently on TCM....and I think there is or gonna be a HD disc.....Cong on great artwork

Edited by Mmehdy

On 7/4/2019 at 3:18 AM, Mmehdy said:

Movie was great too...hope to let us see it restored...

The recreated caption elements for the Golden Voyage of Sinbad painting arrived yesterday, with thanks to my print-maker friend in LA, Lloyd Braddy.  Should have a photo of the completed art in a few days time.  Off out this afternoon sampling beers in Liverpool (UK), so may not be in a fit state to get anything done till Monday, Sunday being a day of rest/recovery . . .

THE OUTER LIMITS remains, to this day, my all-time-favourite TV series. I remember watching the show, as a small boy, back in the 1960s and it’s always something that has stayed with me as an enduring favourite.

My favourite episode of this favourite TV series has always been the Harlan Ellison-scripted episode, Demon With a Glass Hand.

Back in 1986, DC Comics released a graphic novel version of Ellison’s original teleplay (that was revised for the filmed TV episode) adapted and illustrated by Marshall Rogers.

Prior to the DC adaptation, I’d always considered Demon to be a great candidate for a comic-strip version – even to the point of having an ideal artist in mind, Al Williamson. Several years earlier Williamson had illustrated an excellent adaptation of the movie Blade Runner, which has some of its action taking place in the Bradbury Building in downtown Los Angeles (where Demon was filmed).

My reaction to Marshall’s version was a bit mixed at the time of publication. Not quite what I was expecting (I had in mind a darker, film noir look to the story artwork), but I none-the-less enjoyed the version I read (above all, the beauty of Ellison’s superbly-crafted teleplay shines through . . . even if Marshall's treatment is not entirely faithful to the unrevised -script - which can be read in Harlan Ellison’s Brain Movies Volume 1).

Five interior pages I currently own, with special thanks to Felix Lu and Dave Ruth who made it happen for me . . .

p19.jpg

p32.jpg

p36.jpg

p45.jpg

p46.jpg

On 7/4/2019 at 3:18 AM, Mmehdy said:

Movie was great too...hope to let us see it restored...

The recreated captioned elements have now been restored to the artwork.  Here's how it now looks (photo updated).  My print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, recreated the captions for me and, as usual, did a great job on them.

Sinbad  - cropped.jpg

Edited by The Voord