• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Science-Fiction & Fantasy OA favourites!
1 1

78 posts in this topic

On 7/7/2019 at 3:36 PM, The Voord said:

The recreated captioned elements have now been restored to the artwork.  Here's how it now looks (photo updated).  My print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, recreated the captions for me and, as usual, did a great job on them.

Sinbad  - cropped.jpg

Super, Cong

Daily from the JEFF HAWKE story, 'The Dear, Dead Days' (1979).

Artist Sydney Jordan recollects . . .

"Once in the dear dead days beyond recall . . . " is from 'Just a Song at Twilight' as most of you will know. Having lived the first four years of my life in a house lit by gas mantles and next door to my widowed grandmother, whose style of dress and furnishing was resolutely Victorian, I had and still have a built-in fascination with what L. Ron Hubbard called "the beautiful sadness", the unashamed sentiment surrounding life, death and the human condition in Victorian times. Whilst hoping to steer clear of mawkish romanticism, I was free to indulge this passion for the poignant and lyrical. That it involved a twenty-first century android woman flying a Sopwith Camel just goes to show how anything can happen in Hawke's Cosmos!

This one of those artworks where the dialogue just hits an emotive chord with me (you'd have to see the full sequence to understand where I'm coming from) . . .

CGqIYU9B_2707171217301gpadd.jpg

On 7/5/2019 at 1:03 PM, BookofStrange said:

Here are a couple:

Sky Masters October 27, 1958
 Jack Kirby (Penciller) ,  Wally Wood (Inker)

f8PaBTtK_2211171720201sbpi.jpg

Babylon 5 In Valen's Name 2 p. 4 (April 1998)
Michael Collins (Penciller) ,  David Roach (Inker)

EXtVbDRN_1107181300071gpadd.jpg

Rock and Roll Aliens (1988) From Rip Off Comix #19
Larry  Todd (All)

RocknRollAliensLarryTodd01.jpg

Race for the Moon #1 advertisement
Jack Kirby (Penciller) ,  Al Williamson (Inker)

Raceforthemoon1ad.gif

Wonderful stuff!

5 hours ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Al Williamson from the Edgar Rice Burroughs portfolio, and also the back cover for Al Williamson Adventures...a pride and joy piece for me. The first piece I had to really dig deep on. When I saw that it was actually available, I knew that I couldn’t let anyone else have my piece :banana:

1214CF7E-03B0-4B50-98AE-216DD5BB7ED1.jpeg

One word . . . Wow!

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, The Voord said:

The recreated captioned elements have now been restored to the artwork.  Here's how it now looks (photo updated).  My print-maker friend in Los Angeles, Lloyd Braddy, recreated the captions for me and, as usual, did a great job on them.

Sinbad  - cropped.jpg

WOW! I loved these movies when I was a kid so much nostalgia! SO FREAKING COOL

Some sample pages by UK artist, Hugh Stanley White, who produced some illustrations for my 1980s small-press mag, Shadow Play.

Hugh Stanley White was born in Kilburn, North London, on 6 October 1904, son of Hough White, a sanitary engineer, and his wife Ethel May. He studied at Islington Park College School, Hastings Art School and Chiswick Art School, but his first job was as a heating engineer. In 1926, while sketching at the Natural History Museum, he met Walter Booth, who was already an established comic artist, and became his assistant, working on strips like "Rob the Rover". By 1929 he was drawing comics in his own right, working on the nursery comic Bo-Peep and Little Boy Blue. Strips he drew for the title include "Ranji's Ruby" (1932) and "In the Days of Drake" (1933). He also drew strips for The Boy's and Girl's Daily Mail, and "Jimmy in Java", "Peter in Pygmy Land" and "Rosalind and Tommy's Adventures Among the Chinese" for the South Wales Echo & Express in the 1930s. From 1936 he worked for Mickey Mouse Weekly, drawing "Ian on Mu" (1936), the first British science fiction strip, "Ginger Nick the Whaler" "The Phantom City", "Flashing Through" and "Oil and Claw". In 1938 he drew "Into Unknown Worlds" for Butterfly, and "John Irons, Lone Fighter", for an Amalgamated Press title. After the war he worked for small publishers, starting his own title, Merry Maker, which also featured art by Walter Booth and Basil Reynolds. He drew two comics in American style, Xmas Comic and Atomic Age Comic, as well as "Tornado" for Bob Monkhouse's Oh Boy!. In 1951 he drew some episodes of Young Marvelman. Other titles he worked for included Happy Times, Top Notch, Space Comics and Adventurer. His last work in comics was in the 1960s. After that, his spent a few years as an advertising illustrator in Kenya, before retiring. He died in Banbury, Oxfordshire, on 21 September 1988, aged 83.

bDxCFsqX_0102181819241sbpi.jpg

cadDqIYm_0102181818531sbpi.jpg

s3zDixfk_0102181825331sbpi.jpg

Movie Poster painting by Vic Fair for the 1980 fantasy thriller, HARLEQUIN.  I like this painting a lot, it has a nice surreal feel to it.  Sometimes I just stare at this painting . . . and it stares back at me.

DTVKeSSq_0607171450221sbpi.jpg

Edited by The Voord

6 hours ago, The Voord said:

Some sample pages by UK artist, Hugh Stanley White, who produced some illustrations for my 1980s small-press mag, Shadow Play.

Hugh Stanley White was born in Kilburn, North London, on 6 October 1904, son of Hough White, a sanitary engineer, and his wife Ethel May. He studied at Islington Park College School, Hastings Art School and Chiswick Art School, but his first job was as a heating engineer. In 1926, while sketching at the Natural History Museum, he met Walter Booth, who was already an established comic artist, and became his assistant, working on strips like "Rob the Rover". By 1929 he was drawing comics in his own right, working on the nursery comic Bo-Peep and Little Boy Blue. Strips he drew for the title include "Ranji's Ruby" (1932) and "In the Days of Drake" (1933). He also drew strips for The Boy's and Girl's Daily Mail, and "Jimmy in Java", "Peter in Pygmy Land" and "Rosalind and Tommy's Adventures Among the Chinese" for the South Wales Echo & Express in the 1930s. From 1936 he worked for Mickey Mouse Weekly, drawing "Ian on Mu" (1936), the first British science fiction strip, "Ginger Nick the Whaler" "The Phantom City", "Flashing Through" and "Oil and Claw". In 1938 he drew "Into Unknown Worlds" for Butterfly, and "John Irons, Lone Fighter", for an Amalgamated Press title. After the war he worked for small publishers, starting his own title, Merry Maker, which also featured art by Walter Booth and Basil Reynolds. He drew two comics in American style, Xmas Comic and Atomic Age Comic, as well as "Tornado" for Bob Monkhouse's Oh Boy!. In 1951 he drew some episodes of Young Marvelman. Other titles he worked for included Happy Times, Top Notch, Space Comics and Adventurer. His last work in comics was in the 1960s. After that, his spent a few years as an advertising illustrator in Kenya, before retiring. He died in Banbury, Oxfordshire, on 21 September 1988, aged 83.

bDxCFsqX_0102181819241sbpi.jpg

cadDqIYm_0102181818531sbpi.jpg

s3zDixfk_0102181825331sbpi.jpg

Enjoyed the lesson! And those are some cool pages!

This Movie Poster painting by Nevio Zeccara was created for the 1974 Italian theatrical re-release of the 1961 classic science-fiction film, THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE.

THE DAY THE EARTH CAUGHT FIRE was a British science fiction disaster film starring Edward Judd, Leo McKern and Janet Munro. It was directed by Val Guest and released in 1961, and is one of the classic apocalyptic films of its era. The film opened at the Odeon Marble Arch in London on 23 November 1961.

The film, which was partly made on location in London and Brighton, used matte paintings to create images of abandoned cities and desolate landscapes. The production also featured the real Daily Express, even using the paper's own headquarters, the Daily Express Building in Fleet Street, London, and featured Arthur Christiansen as the Express editor, a job he had held in real life.

7rknLZny_0504180931521gpadd.jpg