• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share your Science-Fiction & Fantasy OA favourites!
1 1

78 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2019 at 5:15 PM, The Voord said:

Really like this one, Mark.  I'm a fan of the old TZ series and also admire the incredible talent of Virgil Finlay . . . wow, what an incredible combination, colour me green with envy!  Any idea about the publication date for the illustration?

I found a picture of the published image on the internet, the owner of the published copy says it was a Doubleday ad/flyer and there was a Doubleday book published in 1962 so my guess is 1961 - 1962.  If anyone knows for sure that would be cool.  The original art is a nice size 8 x 12 - I am looking at it now, have it framed in my home office area.

Enter the Twilight Zone.jpg

On 8/16/2019 at 11:30 AM, Weird Paper said:

Just a few from my collection that fit this bill:

Basil Wolverton, 1930s unpublished strip. I know I've seen these printed in one of the Wolverton art books.

wolvertonb.thumb.jpg.228fe65ae7035eff7bfa69d87fde9524.jpg

Virgil FInlay, recently identified for me as being from "They Will Destroy" by Bryce Wilton, Future Science Fiction Stories, January 1952

finlay.jpg.731ad9621389a66293174477decf49ae.jpg

Stephen Fabian illustration of Ursulla Andress in "She."  Published in one of his early art books.

AqcjoIeI_0804151059111.thumb.jpg.a0ad74b6f91c43ce8f537703a2782645.jpg

Vaughn Bode faux Galaxy cover from the late 1960s, probably unpublished. Signed and dated on the back.

6G267oMp_2003181105321gpadd.thumb.jpg.d94a2ee23614cd586cb957cd6efa05ec.jpg

Hannes Bok, early painting (1936). Printed and identified as "The Last Leaf" in one of the Bok art books.

E3Lka3qC_0512181016181gpadd.thumb.jpg.cf619d3e2f61c7ad25ff40a580f48b57.jpg

Awesomeness!

Got in five nice original artwork examples from the UK newspaper strip JEFF HAWKE that featured in the 1960 adventure, 'Survival' (a big favourite with me). Although Sydney Jordan was the strip's creator and main artist, for 'Survival' most of the finished art was supplied by his assistant at the time, Colin Andrew. Colin must have been a big fan of the EC comics as you can detect a heavy influence in his artwork (in some cases, direct swipes). Here, on this particular daily, you can see Andrew channelling Wally Wood . . .

jh 3.jpg

jh 3a.jpg

Fred Freeman (1955) Collier's Magazine- From Collier's Sept 16, 1955. An illustration for the story: "The Navy Comes Up with Real Flying Saucers." The article focused on an abandoned aerospace technology called: Coleopters.

OM2eqrGA_2102191207001gpadd.jpg

A page from: Exploring Space : A True Story of the Rockets of Today and a Glimpse of the Rockets That Are to Come (1958). Tibor Gergely was one of the great children's book illustrators. He did the paintings in over 70 of the Little Golden Books of the 1940s-1950s.

OaHLfCfD_1002161403041.jpg

Babylon 5 #2 p. 13 (1994)
Artists: Michael Netzer (Penciller) ,  Rob Leigh (Inker)

9lzRUP3T_2701141357031.jpg

Luna Hilton by Kelly Freas-The awesome Kelly Freas did many little pre-lim sketches. These may have been spot illustrations for Analog or maybe just trying ideas out.

KellyFreasMoonhiltonfull.jpg

Recently acquired this Spanish video-sleeve painting from a collector friend . . .APOCALIPSIS 2024 (A Boy and His Dog) an 1975 American black comedy science fiction film directed by actor L.Q. Jones, from a screenplay by Jones based on the 1969 novella of the same title by fantasy author Harlan Ellison. The film stars Don Johnson, Susanne Benton, Alvy Moore and Jason Robards. It was independently produced and distributed by Jones' company LQ/Jaf Productions.

The film's storyline concerns a teenage boy (Vic) and his telepathic dog (Blood), who work together as a team in order to survive in the dangerous post-apocalyptic wasteland of the Southwestern United States.

Harlan Ellison, the author of the original novella A Boy and His Dog, started the screenplay but encountered writer's block, so director L. Q. Jones wrote the -script. Jones' own company, LQ/Jaf Productions (L. Q. Jones & Friends), independently produced the film. The film was shot at Pacific Ocean Park in Venice, California, and on location around Barstow, and Coyote Dry Lake in the Mojave Desert.

No idea who the artist 'Segarra' is, but I'm a big fan of Harlan Ellison's work.  The figure was painted separately and pasted to the post-apocalyptic background . . . only problem being, Vic is leaning a bit too far forward (minor quibble).

yRSmZRi9_0403211659161gpadd.jpg