• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel 1968 number 1's appreciation
3 3

79 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

The solo stories get re-started in Tales To Astonish 60. Hulk 102 gives the Hulk an entire comic of his own again. Most people like Hulk 102 better. 

But not me! :sumo:

I'm not as big a fan of the art on Hulk 102. I prefer Tales to Astonish personally but I'm also happy owning Hulk 102 lol

Ive read a few articles about how “1968“ was the year Marvel sold out that's talks about the change of ownership and push to merchandise taking away from the substance of the stories and scope. 

While this may have been a certain point of view at one time I believe looki g back that 1968 brought us an explosion of superhero comics and solo series. Lots of cool stickers, tee shirts and other types of memorabilia that is retro and nasralgic. 

I love how the end of the Silver brought with it an emphasis on the character on the cover. 

Just love those "big premiere issue" indications!! 

20 hours ago, Shoomanfoo said:

Just received my Sub-Mariner 1 midgrade. Been wanting one for sometime and knew I needed to get a copy before any confermed movie announcement. 

Next on my list Silver Surfer for same reason. Once there's official announcement it will go beyond my price range... Already kind is. 

5092952.jpg

Nice looking book! I’m in the same boat with Silver Surfer, been trying to find one for a while, they’re already out of my reach for anything but the lowest grade. I gave up and spent my silver surfer money on an x-men 94.

I was able to pick up a lower grade Nick Fury 1 and Captain Marvel 1 for about $20 each, so at least not all of the 68’s are expensive 🙂

1 hour ago, BrooksR said:

Nice looking book! I’m in the same boat with Silver Surfer, been trying to find one for a while, they’re already out of my reach for anything but the lowest grade. I gave up and spent my silver surfer money on an x-men 94.

I was able to pick up a lower grade Nick Fury 1 and Captain Marvel 1 for about $20 each, so at least not all of the 68’s are expensive 🙂

Thanks this was a 3.5 from mycomicshop. They undergrade there consignments so I'd say it's a solid 5.0. This is actual scan. 

I've been looking for nice mid grade Captain marvel as well but it's hard because the black in cover shows every crack. Same with the black on silver surfer. 

20 bucks is a steal for any lower to mid 1968! Wow. The books I've been seeing are close to 100.00 or better for say a true 5.5.

Edited by Shoomanfoo

49 minutes ago, Steelrain41 said:

I was finally able to get a 5.0 Sub-Mariner 1 at a really good price. Next up is Iron Man 1.

IMG_20191118_164530012.jpg

Nice! Looks pretty good for a 5 🙂. Do you guys think Iron Man will gradually get a little  less expensive now that his part in the movies is over? 

Also I just now noticed for the first time that Dr Strange and Nick Fury don’t have the premiere issue bubble. (shrug)

8 minutes ago, BrooksR said:

Nice! Looks pretty good for a 5 🙂. Do you guys think Iron Man will gradually get a little  less expensive now that his part in the movies is over? 

Also I just now noticed for the first time that Dr Strange and Nick Fury don’t have the premiere issue bubble. (shrug)

I'm hoping Iron Man comes down a bit but I have Hull 102 and Cap 100 getting graded right now and will have the special label so now I have to hurry up and get IM1 with the iron Man label so they'll all match. My Thor 126 needs to get graded, I know it isn't one of the 68 series but I want the start of all their solo series with the labels. 

On 8/6/2019 at 6:37 AM, Shoomanfoo said:

I believe looki g back that 1968 brought us an explosion of superhero comics and solo series. I love how the end of the Silver brought with it an emphasis on the character on the cover.

No love for first SA Ghost Rider?

ClMMy7i.jpg

22 hours ago, evilskip said:

I swapped out my old 3.5 copy for a 4.5 a few months ago.

5169594.jpg

Awesome. I was hoping to get one with the Iron Man label since I have Cap 100, Hulk 102, and Thor 126 with the new labels but I had a chance at a cheap Avengers 4 so I went with that instead. No regrets lol.

19 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

For those who also love these books, here's something a little …. different. It's actually a Mexican Edition of Doctor Strange #1. Same cover as Doctor Strange #169 with a Spidey signal face thrown in for good measure.

Doctor Centella 1 7.0 ow front.jpg

That is awesome! I didn't know those existed. Great piece of history