• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Magazine, as you now know it, will soon cease to exist - the end of Mad Magazine
5 5

200 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicparadox said:

First subscription I ever ordered. Gaines-published, no ads, the usual gang of talented artists and writers. In that form, it hasn’t really existed for years, but I somehow assumed it’d always be around. MAD probably shaped my world view, warped as it is. 

Definitely did mine, that and Cracked!

I'm surprised it lasted this long. Confounded Internet!

Sad to know that the MAD magazine will end with no more new stories or the SPY vs SPY gags. I was surprised that it had lasted that long. I used to read them in the 1970s, had good laughs then. So, I was fine with it ending away since I have read a lot then. :sorry:

12 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Sad to know that the MAD magazine will end with no more new stories or the SPY vs SPY gags. I was surprised that it had lasted that long. I used to read them in the 1970s, had good laughs then. So, I was fine with it ending away since I have read a lot then. :sorry:

sniff sniff. ah the memories sniff sniff

It was near death a couple times before.  After five decades without advertisements, the magazine had to begin to accept them to keep afloat.  And the publication schedule slowed for a time to a quarterly basis.

Having subscribed to the mag as a 13 year old right through high school graduation, it's sad to see the demise of the great American humor magazine.  But it's been in the works for a long time now.

A major blow to me personally...of course its not what it used to be...but it had a great run and effect on my childhood, especially that issue with painting the road....however it appears that paper or physical with your hands types of magazines are fading away..slowly. I have the seen the new issues, not bought them..just did not seem to have the great writing or style of the 50'-70's issues, Ganies was great but also his supporting cast of Al Feld, WW, Mingo, etc...real talent. This could be a major blow to future collectors of Mad in that no NEW persons will be wanting to get back issues. Might be a good time to sell your duplicates asap.

The last original issue #10 might be a collectors item way down the road since it will be limited distribution to comic shops only...and last original issue. Does anybody have with this #10 issue the final number of issues of Mad including specials every published?

Edited by Mmehdy