• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Magazine, as you now know it, will soon cease to exist - the end of Mad Magazine
5 5

200 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

A friend of mine owns this original. In his bathroom. I about peed on my shoe when I saw it. I remember it well when it was published. 

7BBF824E-6A5D-40BD-BC02-EB053788BDDD.jpeg

omg lotta moisture in the bathroom!!!

Back in mid-1970s, my uncle had a batch of 1960s MAD issues in his room. Like about a box full! He let me took them to read them. Some of the best gags, mocking stuff, and stories I will not forget. I personally think this is their best decade in comparison. I was 8 years at these time. 

11 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Back in mid-1970s, my uncle had a batch of 1960s MAD issues in his room. Like about a box full! He let me took them to read them. Some of the best gags, mocking stuff, and stories I will not forget. I personally think this is their best decade in comparison. I was 8 years at these time. 

60s for sure.  dave berg was in his prime.  all those guys were.

I was just at Barnes & Noble, grabbing a copy of Mad #8, then right behind me came and elderly couple. The man was there to get his copy of Mad, his wife was reading the news to him from her phone to help figure out when the last issue will be there. He seemed genuinely saddened. 😔

14 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Print media is dying.

Only print comics continue to survive. All other print media is dying..

Surviving, but, certainly not thriving.  I think it's only a matter of time before the number of titles being published (in print form) contracts in a major way. :( 

Speaking of which, RIP Mad Magazine. :cry: 

Edited by delekkerste

2 hours ago, Joosh said:

I was just at Barnes & Noble, grabbing a copy of Mad #8, then right behind me came and elderly couple. The man was there to get his copy of Mad, his wife was reading the news to him from her phone to help figure out when the last issue will be there. He seemed genuinely saddened. 😔

That`s how it is now. I have family members in the newspaper business(Boston Herald) and their customer average age is over 60. From what I am told is the newspapers make more profit with the obituaries than selling ads now.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Haven't read it in years. It didn't sell in my shops and I can't think of the last time any asked for back issues. A fun part of my boyhood, but both I and  the world have moved on.

You haven't read it in years just like most CGC members haven't read modern comics in years. That is the problem and that`s why Marvel and DC tried to find younger and diversified audiences because the old guard stopped buying.

25 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That`s how it is now. I have family members in the newspaper business(Boston Herald) and their customer average age is over 60. From what I am told is the newspapers make more profit with the obituaries than selling ads now.

what my local paper has taken to doing is sending out those ad mailer things that are incredibly annoying and impossible to stop delivery on.  "Here's some garbage-now go throw it away".  I hate being bossed around like this.

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Most newspapers laid off their obituary staff and outsourced it now, probably how it remains profitable. One of my moms best friends used to write obituaries for a newspaper in San Diego until her position was eliminated 

4 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

You haven't read it in years just like most CGC members haven't read modern comics in years. That is the problem and that`s why Marvel and DC tried to find younger and diversified audiences because the old guard stopped buying.

The last modern. I remember buying was Simpson’s #100. I have never given up MAD though. 

Even though I could see them slipping and sliding. Most of the old artists and writers either retired or died. I saw them accept advertising and try to boost the price by printing in color. Editorial bent over low by introducing offensive language and “adult” situations. Lots of one shot lack of talent artists and writers without much continuity. The political commentary which was always a part of the magazine seemed to really ramp up and take over an entire issue sometimes. They were gasping for air and just gave up I think.

MAD doesn’t need to die. Hopefully it could be revived in the future by going back and realizing what made it great in the first place. Something I don’t think the folks over at Warner Communications just don’t want to bother with. 

Bill Gaines would be rolling over in his box if he saw what his masterpiece has become. 

I the immortal words of Bobby Dylan, “The times, they are a changing” and not in a good way...:preach:

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

I was a Cracked guy. (shrug)

Certainly RIP to Mad. I did buy the first re-booted issue a couple of years ago. So I gave it a try. It was God awful. 

vlcsnap-2011-12-30-23h17m17s196.jpg