• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Magazine, as you now know it, will soon cease to exist - the end of Mad Magazine
5 5

200 posts in this topic

wow. i always thought Mr. Nuwman was a Mad Magazine creation. I wonder if Sylvester the Janitor from Cracked is from the turn of the century, too?

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

EVERYBODY used Alfred before MAD! Oldest, I can trace back to is around 1896.

Yes, I am Robot Man and I am a MAD addict...

alfredeneumanpaperweight1.jpg

alfredeneuman1914picture.jpg

alfredsign.jpg

madalfred:girlpostcards.jpg

madcoasters.jpg

madcomfortsoapin.jpg

madpostcards.jpg

madrooseveltpcards.jpg

madmatchbooks.jpg

madpinbacks.jpg

The New Boy. An 1894 play. It was a hit in London, 1894-1895. There are historic antecedents that go back further, but this iteration here of Mad's Alfred E. Neuman, the likeness, was taken from the 1894 playbill for the New Boy. A play about Archibald Rennick, a 30-ish man who passes as a boarding school adolescent so that he and his wife can cash in on an inheritance scheme.

That's why the face of this iteration has such an odd look, a blend of adult and adolescent characteristics. It was a 30ish adult posing as a child.

8 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The New Boy. An 1894 play. It was a hit in London, 1894-1895. There are historic antecedents that go back further, but this iteration here of Mad's Alfred E. Neuman, the likeness, was taken from the 1894 playbill for the New Boy. A play about Archibald Rennick, a 30-ish man who passes as a boarding school adolescent so that he and his wife can cash in on an inheritance scheme.

That's why the face of this iteration has such an odd look, a blend of adult and adolescent characteristics. It was a 30ish adult posing as a child.

The one eye lower than the other is the distinguishing disturbing characteristic.

10 hours ago, Robot Man said:

EVERYBODY used Alfred before MAD! Oldest, I can trace back to is around 1896.

Yes, I am Robot Man and I am a MAD addict...

alfredeneumanpaperweight1.jpg

alfredeneuman1914picture.jpg

alfredsign.jpg

madalfred:girlpostcards.jpg

madcoasters.jpg

madcomfortsoapin.jpg

madpostcards.jpg

madrooseveltpcards.jpg

madmatchbooks.jpg

madpinbacks.jpg

That is crazy

My soon to be 70 year old mom, bought a copy of issue "8" of this year when she heard the news. 

Where does one go to preorder the last issues? 

Robot Man, The one item what I like the most is the MAD matches. :roflmao:This matches with the big red match sticking out and the Alfred Neuman figure on background... it is too good!  lol

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My soon to be 70 year old mom, bought a copy of issue "8" of this year when she heard the news. 

Where does one go to preorder the last issues? 

Oh I love Mad #8!!

Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 9.39.27 PM.png

On 7/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, Mmehdy said:

Just plain incredible...the quality of Freas and Mingo....today a pale shadow  of the current  covers...nothing can touch that and which was neglected by DC for the last 20 years..with hopes of some time of new Mad show......Does anybody know what was Bill Gaines last issue? Feldstien?...just curious...thanks

Only thing I can offer is that Mr. Gaines title/credit changed from "Publisher" to "Founder" in Mad #315.  Not sure about Al Feldstein.

LVRRnSCl.jpg  zSaT1Esl.jpg 

11 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Robot Man, The one item what I like the most is the MAD matches. :roflmao:This matches with the big red match sticking out and the Alfred Neuman figure on background... it is too good!  lol

It was a gift from a dealer I know. I ‘bout wet my pants when she gave it to me. A lot of what I get comes to me from people who know I collect MAD and pre-MAD Alfred stuff. It turns up at in-expected times and places. 

We will try again... "Someone" wasn't helpful lol 

My soon to be 70 year old mom, bought a copy of this month's copy when she heard the news. 

Where does one go to preorder online the last issues of original content through ... the end?

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/8/2019 at 10:19 PM, steveinthecity said:

Only thing I can offer is that Mr. Gaines title/credit changed from "Publisher" to "Founder" in Mad #315.  Not sure about Al Feldstein.

LVRRnSCl.jpg  zSaT1Esl.jpg 

thanks....I hope the last issue will be special....any idea of the contents????

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Nope. I suspect #10 will probably just be a regular issue with no fanfare. But I’m sure the money grabbers at DC will come out with a “special collector’s edition” designed to squeeze the last buck out of fans...

or maybe they dont want their current subscribers to know.....and it will  be interesting to see if they accept future ones after #10

Edited by Mmehdy