• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mad Magazine, as you now know it, will soon cease to exist - the end of Mad Magazine
5 5

200 posts in this topic

38 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Cracked sucked  :sumo:  lol

I honestly can’t remember the contents of any issue of Cracked. I should crack one open and check it out. The website and app seem to still be active so I wonder if they’ll ever do reprint collections like Mad did?

5 minutes ago, Senormac said:

Any idea how many issues Cracked lasted ? Yea, I could look it up..... but hey, it's a forum.  It's for talking with people 

Define 'people'

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

I honestly can’t remember the contents of any issue of Cracked. I should crack one open and check it out. The website and app seem to still be active so I wonder if they’ll ever do reprint collections like Mad did?

Cracked was my favourite!I especially looked forward to these growing up.Sylvester P Smyth forever.Cracked even had it's own Aragones marginals swipe,the sabs,or saboteurs :cloud9:

I think it was the late nineties they did a relaunch?I have the first issue somewhere,colour and glossy and not the same.

Edit-mac,John Severin did a lot of work for early Cracked.Some great artists.

mags.png

Edited by porcupine48

On 8/16/2019 at 10:38 PM, 01TheDude said:

Received my first issue from the new subscription on Thursday... came with a outer paper wrap which was nice and the copy is in excellent shape. Thought for sure some dope at the post office would have read it on their lunch break.

Me too ! Got mine in the mail as well. 

:banana:

9 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Cracked was my favourite!I especially looked forward to these growing up.Sylvester P Smyth forever.Cracked even had it's own Aragones marginals swipe,the sabs,or saboteurs :cloud9:

I think it was the late nineties they did a relaunch?I have the first issue somewhere,colour and glossy and not the same.

Edit-mac,John Severin did a lot of work for early Cracked.Some great artists.

mags.png

YES! I LOVED Cracked, and far and away preferred it over Mad. I'd go with my mom to the grocery every Saturday, and while she shopped I'd be camped out in the magazine aisle, reading Cracked. She'd usually buy me the copy when she was done so I could take it home and read it over and over again. A TON of great artists on the book that I didn't know as a kid, but I recognized their style as I got older, primarily Dan Clowes, Pete Bagge, and Rick Altergott. Clowes' "Uggly Family" was so repulsive, it made me sick just touching the paper, but I couldn't look away!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

YES! I LOVED Cracked, and far and away preferred it over Mad. I'd go with my mom to the grocery every Saturday, and while she shopped I'd be camped out in the magazine aisle, reading Cracked. She'd usually buy me the copy when she was done so I could take it home and read it over and over again. A TON of great artists on the book that I didn't know as a kid, but I recognized their style as I got older, primarily Dan Clowes, Pete Bagge, and Rick Altergott. Clowes' "Uggly Family" was so repulsive, it made me sick just touching the paper, but I couldn't look away!

I remember this one was reprinted in the mid,later eighties and it stuck with me so much I tracked it down last year,from fellow fan Robot Man

Not my copy!

Cracked+Magazine+008+001.jpg

To keep on topic,here's an interesting pic of a subscription mailer.I guess they just slapped this brown cover over for protection.

!!!!!5.jpg

Edited by porcupine48

9 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I liked them both. And wasn't John Severin one of the main artists for Cracked?

He sure was.Some great art by him in the issue I posted above.I remember being amazed by his black and white work as a kid.Like,why isn't new Mad and Cracked this good!?

On 8/16/2019 at 8:29 PM, Senormac said:

You have a sub to MAD ??  

They are going away !! 

I think you must be MAD !! 

are you even following along with the discussion in this very thread? There were multiple posts about the subscription deal and that it should cover the final issue of the magazine. And to tell the truth, your posts are starting to make me MAD.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

https://www.cracked.com/blog/11-forgotten-heroes-from-historys-worst-comics-publisher/#

And with articles like this, how can anyone not love Cracked??!!

I liked Cracked back in the day, not as good as Mad but still good for a kid 🆒🆒‼️

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

There were so many MAD immatiors back in the day. Cracked was probably the top contender. There were other high lights but most paled in comparrison to the real thing...

comcracked9.jpg

comfrenzy2.jpg

comhelp22.jpg

comshookup1.jpg

comsick33.jpg

comthimk5.jpg

comzany3.jpg

companic3.jpg

comcrazy1.jpg

comfooey1.jpg

comhumbug2.jpg

comnuts1.jpg

Fooey what a classic..how is the quality of artwork inside and how many issues did it run?

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

From the February  2019 issue:

363F1752-9FCD-4BE2-9E1B-C0F0841F326A.jpeg

artist sure screwed the pooch on that alfred e neuman.

Got my subscription copy of #10 today and noticed something interesting. There is a full page subscription ad and just under the black bar in the center is a statement eluding to the fact that they might have changed their mind. This issue appears to be all new content as well. Interesting...

301FE87E-8860-4B83-B0CB-A71C368FF1C1.jpeg

CF9542F9-4D29-4BF7-8A6A-91F921EF46A9.jpeg

I can still recall my first encounter with Mad. I had just moved to a new neighborhood, and found the kid next door had a pile of old Mad's, that I read from cover to cover. Don Martin's stuff in the 60's and 70's was great. This 2 pager on water skiing was one of his best.

MAD_74DM1.jpg

MAD_74DM2.jpg