• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix and BBC's DRACULA starring Claes Bang (1/4/20)

45 posts in this topic

The BBC and Netflix have unveiled the first look of their Dracula reboot as they have rounded out the cast.

The three-part series, which stars Claes Bang as Count Dracula, is written by Sherlock’s Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat and produced by Hartswood Films. The series is inspired by Bram Stoker’s classic novel and will re-introduce the world to Dracula, the vampire who made evil sexy. In Transylvania in 1897, the blood drinking Count is drawing his plans against Victorian London.

Lyndsey Marshal (The League of Gentlemen), Chanel Cresswell (This Is England), Matthew Beard (The Imitation Game), Lydia West (Years & Years), Paul Brennen (Happy Valley), Sarah Niles (Catastrophe), Sofia Oxenham (Poldark), John McCrea (God’s Own Country), Phil Dunster (Humans) and newcomer Millicent Wong have joined the series alongside John Heffernan, Joanna Scanlan, Dolly Wells, Sacha Dhawan, Jonathan Aris, Morfydd Clark and Nathan Stewart-Jarrett.

Jonny Campbell (Westworld), Damon Thomas (Killing Eve) and Paul McGuigan (Sherlock) will direct. Gatiss, Moffat and Sue Vertue exec produce for Hartswood, Ben Irving for the BBC, and it will be handled by Larry Tanz and Carolyn Newman for Netflix.

embargoed-until-0001am-thurs-4-july-uk-t

Edited by Bosco685

Netflix Reveals Dracula TV Series Release Date

The classic story of Dracula will be told in a brand new way next year, with the debut of the Netflix and BBC TV series from Sherlock creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat. Dracula stars Claes Bang as the titular character and tells his story over the course of three 90-minute episodes, following the Count's move from Transylvania to Victorian London. Netflix had previously announced that the series would arrive on the streaming service in January but failed to offer an official release date. That changed on Friday when the trailer was released.

Netflix's trailer was the same as the one BBC released back in October, but it did confirm when the show would be making its streaming debut. All three episodes of Dracula will launch on Netflix on January 4th.

Gatiss, Moffat, and Hartswood Films head Sue Vertue all executive produce the series. Joining Bang in the cast are Joanna Scanlon, Morfydd Clark, Lujza Richter, John Heffernan, and Dolly Wells. Dracula will be Moffat's first new project since stepping down as the Doctor Who showrunner following six seasons with the series.

The hope is that Dracula can recapture the success that Moffat and Gatiss found with Sherlock, which has been a wildly popular show since it first debuted on BBC. Like Dracula, Sherlock is a reimagining of a classic character made to be more inventive than its source material. Benedict Cumberbatch stars in the series as Sherlock Holmes.

"There have always been stories about great evil," Moffat and Gatiss said when the show was first announced. "What's special about Dracula is that Bram Stoker gave evil its own hero."

Vertue added, "There's nothing like fresh blood."

When the show will play with both BBC One and Netflix.

Dracula is set to premiere on BBC One on 1 January 2020, and will be broadcast over three consecutive days. The three episodes will then be released on Netflix on 4 January 2020. The documentary In Search of Dracula, with Mark Gatiss exploring the legacy of the famous Count, is set to air alongside the series on BBC Two on 3 January 2020.

dracula01.thumb.JPG.7411519dce5026f11fe038fb35861ff7.JPG

Based on the story from Bram Stoker’s Dracula, the series was crafted into three 90-minute installments. Think of them as three feature-length movies set in 1897 as the titular vampire sets his sights on Victorian London.

So even though it is only three episodes, they are going to be mini movies in length. :popcorn:

Watched Episode 1 last night.

If you want a full-on horror story with a Dracula that is pure evil with no redeeming characteristics to sympathize with his situation, this is your show.

There are some really graphic scenes. So definitely not one to show the kids to introduce them to the classic tale.

Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss’ version of Dracula is being lavished with praise by British critics, but a good chunk of its audience slipped away for its second episode on Thursday night.

The blood-soaked BBC One drama, which launches globally on Netflix on January 4, was watched by 2.8M viewers in a 90-minute slot at 9PM, according to BARB figures provided by overnights.tv.

This was 22%, or 800,000 viewers, down on the first episode’s performance of 3.6M viewers on New Year’s Day — an underwhelming showing given Moffat and Gatiss’ last big literary reimagination, Sherlock, debuted with 7.5M in July 2010.

It really is a good telling of the traditional story. But the strong horror atmosphere is so strong, it could be troubling to many. Including when Dracula comes bursting out of a wolf.

dracula_metacritic.PNG.5a90a7e9c4ef5ab435eb366c5a46d157.PNG

The one critic so far on Metacritic loved it. Though we will see more reviews come tomorrow when it goes live on Netflix.

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Watched Episode 1 last night.

If you want a full-on horror story with a Dracula that is pure evil with no redeeming characteristics to sympathize with his situation, this is your show.

There are some really graphic scenes. So definitely not one to show the kids to introduce them to the classic tale.

Are you in the UK? When I try to watch it says it's coming Saturday....

Saw Episode 3 last night. Extremely dark!

Avoiding spoilers, as there is a big twist in the storyline compared to the source material. I kind of liked it. But not 100% because of how some of the finale plays out.

But then I remind myself, this is Dracula. He's not supposed to be your buddy.

7 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

I liked 1 and 2. I thought 3 was a little corny. Overall I liked it the series.

Spoiler

Yeah, it was like near the end they just wanted to wrap it up and said "Well, let's have them kill each other directly or indirectly. GO!'

I missed it altogether. I assumed it was yet another verbatim Stoker adaptation.

Edited by Ken Aldred