• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix and BBC's DRACULA starring Claes Bang (1/4/20)

45 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I missed it altogether. I assumed it was yet another verbatim Stoker adaptation.

Please point me to a verbatim one.  Most aren't even close.

The Coppola version doesn't count because the main love story between Dracula and Mina was pulled out of their :censored:, not the book.

Edited by D84

2 minutes ago, PunisherPunisherPunisher said:

Sounds like I should stop after one episode 

No. The second episode is good as well. It is the third episode where they tried something different from the source material. But then didn't deliver it effectively. And that's a bummer, as they had something interesting here.

But it's not horrible. Just the third episode doesn't deliver like the other two. I want to avoid spoilers.

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

No. The second episode is good as well. It is the third episode where they tried something different from the source material. But then didn't deliver it effectively. And that's a bummer, as they had something interesting here.

But it's not horrible. Just the third episode doesn't deliver like the other two. I want to avoid spoilers.

Thanks mate, will watch it soon (thumbsu

8 hours ago, D84 said:

Please point me to a verbatim one.  Most aren't even close.

The Coppola version doesn't count because the main love story between Dracula and Mina was pulled out of their :censored:, not the book.

Yup.  I'm being much, much too harsh, not a word-for-word case, I'd agree, and sounding extremely jaded towards the classic version of this horror character, whenever yet another film or TV series seems to be heavily referencing the original, public domain story.  Reading the synopsis on the PVR, the reaction I got was 'here we go again, zzz'. 

Total disinterest at the time, even at that level.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I enjoyed it up until the last two minutes, which was rushed and terrible.

The whole third episode was a homage to Hammer films and I particularly liked the Easter egg for Dracula AD72 in the hospital.

I don't mind people doing their own versions of the story - some work and some don't. The BBC's 1972 version with Louis Jourdan is still the closest I've seen to the original material.

Loved it all. Dolly Wells as Agatha Van Helsing stole every scene she was in. Talk about a fast mind and wit! Tremendous delivery. The writer(s) really nailed her and vice versa. The best Van Helsing since Edward Van Sloan's 1931 Abraham Van Helsing. Claes Bang's Count  was written with absolutely no sympathetic qualities, and remarkably cruel. I would say sadistic but I think he lacks the emotions needed to BE sadistic. John Heffernan played Harker beautifully. A sympathetic character to be sure but not overly so. Sometimes spine, sometimes not so much, but always nicely tempered. The one character I was a bit irritated at was Morfydd Clark's Mina. Just too sappy/supporting/loving/not-so-bright. One needs a really strong coffee to deal with that much sugar. 

As far as the ship scenario, they devoted considerable time aboard The Demeter and it was well worth it. Nice insights into Dracula's history that further revealed his own morals and mores that were apparently a constant throughout his "life".

Now yes, ep 3 took some mind shifting to get into and to even to understand at the start, but Lydia West's Lucy really made it worthwhile. 

Definitely one of the top DRACULA adaptations.

Edited by PovertyRow
spilling...err...spelling

3 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

Was one of the main season I disliked #3! To each their own..

If she made you feel that way she succeeded in conveying the character. She was not made to be liked and I was quite gratified at her final situation. A nicely extreme dimension of Lucy.

Dracula, the BBC and Netflix’s blood-soaked retelling of Bram Stoker’s mythical vampire story, has sunk its teeth into a much-improved audience with the addition of catch-up viewing in the UK.

The seven-day rating for the first episode of Hartswood Films’ drama stood at 6.6M viewers, according to BARB figures provided by the BBC. This was an increase of 83% on Dracula‘s overnight audience of 3.6M.

The three-part season, created by Sherlock writers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, was aired on consecutive nights in the UK, starting on New Year’s Day. It launched globally on Netflix on January 4.