• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No doubt I am late to the party but please explain Mile High's Ebay prices
1 1

58 posts in this topic

I don't order from Chuckster's site nor his Ebay listings but just happened to glance at one and then compared it the MH website.  The Ebay listings are significantly less, even more so than if you have the super-secret codeword it appears (especially taking into account Ebay fees). All the ones I looked at are like this.  Here is an example - Fox and Crow #1 on Ebay lists for $752 OBO while on the MH site it is $1,960.  Same book - grade and picture.  I am used to it being cheaper on the dealer's website (e.g., Lonestar).  Below are the links if anyone cares to look but what is the reasoning for this?

Fox and Crow MH Ebay listing

Fox and Crow MH website listing

1 minute ago, telerites said:

I don't order from Chuckster's site nor his Ebay listings but just happened to glance at one and then compared it the MH website.  The Ebay listings are significantly less, even more so than if you have the super-secret codeword it appears (especially taking into account Ebay fees). All the ones I looked at are like this.  Here is an example - Fox and Crow #1 on Ebay lists for $752 OBO while on the MH site it is $1,960.  Same book - grade and picture.  I am used to it being cheaper on the dealer's website (e.g., Lonestar).  Below are the links if anyone cares to look but what is the reasoning for this?

Fox and Crow MH Ebay listing

Fox and Crow MH website listing

If they price the book sky-high on their site, they can try to make it seem like a really good deal when it's 40-60% off.

3 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If they price the book sky-high on their site, they can try to make it seem like a really good deal when it's 40-60% off.

I know and they adjust their prices upward depending on the sale/code.  But the Ebay listing is less even if someone bought on their site with the code.  Are you saying they are trying to push buyers to Ebay?

Just now, telerites said:

I know and they adjust their prices upward depending on the sale/code.  But the Ebay listing is less even if someone bought on their site with the code.  Are you saying they are trying to push buyers to Ebay?

They sell so much that it's entirely possible that they missed changing the price in one of the locations.

I recently bought two copies of a Valiant incentive variant from their eBay store. They were listed as the same condition but at two different prices. They only delivered one, and said the other was out of stock. I imagine they had just listed it twice and didn't realize it.

6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

They sell so much that it's entirely possible that they missed changing the price in one of the locations.

I recently bought two copies of a Valiant incentive variant from their eBay store. They were listed as the same condition but at two different prices. They only delivered one, and said the other was out of stock. I imagine they had just listed it twice and didn't realize it.

I looked at several of their listings and they all follow this same pattern with the Ebay price being much lower.  They have 249,582 listings on Ebay - can they globally adjust the prices of all of those items.  Maybe the 25 or so I looked at were overlooked.  (shrug)

19 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

He prices with an algorithm that has nothing to do with demand or realized value. He probably doesn’t use the algorithm on eBay, might even have someone else in charge of eBay listings

Yeah I knew about the algorithm and doing a quick calculation on a few if 60% off were applied to the Ebay price it is very close but still lower on Ebay - could be some rounding issues but if you include Ebay fees, it is still less on Ebay - add to that, they accept offers on Ebay so maybe even lower.   Does Ebay waive fees for a large dealer like MH which has name appeal and nearly 250K listings?

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yeah I knew about the algorithm and doing a quick calculation on a few if 60% off were applied to the Ebay price it is very close but still lower on Ebay - could be some rounding issues but if you include Ebay fees, it is still less on Ebay - add to that, they accept offers on Ebay so maybe even lower.   Does Ebay waive fees for a large dealer like MH which has name appeal and nearly 250K listings?

E-Bay gives them a volume discount, but I think E-bay is cheaper than his 30,40,50,60% codeword sales.....still the prices are Mile High....

15 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Does he use stock images for a book, rather than specific scans?

Hi Paul :hi:

Hope you are well.

Stock photos according to the EBay listing but the same photos are used on his site.  It may say that as well on MH's site but they are the same photo.  I looked at this one which has cover writing.

And all the ones I looked at are cropped like this one but since it is stock, it doesn't matter.

s-l500.gif

Edited by telerites

7 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Is it possible Milehigh’s high dollar listings have that feature where the price reduces by a few percent every few weeks until it sells?

That is possible but wouldn't they rather have their sales on the website as opposed to Ebay?  Like I mentioned, with the few I ciphered, Ebay was cheaper even if I applied 60% off to the MH listing price and again, that doesn't take into account the best offer on Ebay which could potentially lower it even more.  So lower sale price and Ebay fees even if thinking they receive a large volume seller discount.  

No biggie for me since I wouldn't buy from them as I don't trust their grading and with limited description and stock photos it is nearly impossible to know you may get.  I buy only GA books.  I could see buying dollar reading copy books from them but nothing more.

14 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

They know their high dollar stuff doesn’t actually sell on the website though. A thousand dollar book probably sells less than once a month. The website is for $5 and under books

That is possible and makes more sense than anything I could up with.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Is it possible Milehigh’s high dollar listings have that feature where the price reduces by a few percent every few weeks until it sells?

I'm not sure any of us have the appropriate life span left, for prices to get to FMV. :sorry: