• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you care what people say in BIN offers?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

I just submitted a BIN OBO for a book and used the format to include a little message as I often do. 

Sometimes it's noting that I'm buying this cause I had it as a kid (if it's a toy), or mentioning how I love the artists (if it's a comic/book). Always honest sentiments, but that got me wondering, since so many of you buy and sell on ebay...

1) When you are making a BIN OBO do you bother to add a message?

2) When you are selling and get a BIN OBO do you actually care what is in the message or is it 100% about what the dollar amount is? 

(oh and my last three BIN OBOs with messages got accepted. First one was a $33 offer on a $50 toy, that we settled on $40, Second one was $45 on a $75 toy that s/he accepted, and third was a $62 offer on a $75 book that was accepted w/o counter)

I sometimes put a message when I buy, I am not a seller, but when I put a little note like I wanted this to complete my collection or had this as a kid but lost it I find I get those OBO accepted more often than blank ones. I learned rather quickly I guess when it comes to some comic seller that if you try to justify your price they ignore you or don't bother with you sometimes. So I learned quickly not to quote GPA even if their stuff is above GPA and I wanted to pay about near GPA + or - so in those cases its sometimes just a blank message, as I don't want to offend the seller if they accept great, if not; oh well at least I gave it a shot. 

100%. I have received some seriously, seriously, stupid messages with offers before.

Being a b-hole makes me not want to sell to you at all. Even if you somehow offered above asking price. If you're polite, and know how to type in proper English (assuming it's your 1st language), then it definitely makes me think more about giving a better price.

I always add a message to both my offers as a buyer and seller.  Typically I explain my offer (if an explanation is warranted) and thank the other party for their interest or for considering.  Even when I am returning a book as not as described (usually caused by poor packing and mail handling damage) I begin by thanking for their "prompt shipping".  Lol.

I read them, but anything debating my price or the validity of their generous offer is ignored. I will, however, sometimes lean towards accepting a borderline offer if they say something like I had this issue as a kid, I need it to fill a hole in a run and don't plan on reselling it, etc...

As both a buyer and a seller, I read whatever messages are added and take them on a case by case basis. If I am responding as a seller, I sometimes include something like "I don't see me going under $xx.xx for this". Just so the offerer knows where I stand.  

To be honest, if someone makes me a reasonable offer, I'll usually counter with my lowest possible price. If they don't go for it, that's OK. And communication is always a good thing...it's usually one of the keys to a successful transaction...  

The only time I care is when a fair counter-offer is made by me to a ridiculous lowball, and they respond with another lowball $5 above the last one and giving an ultimatum that they're not going any higher. Okay, don't. I also don't have to sell it.

I don't like receiving them myself because most of the time I "watch" an auction is to get a feel for FMV before listing my own copy of the same item, but sometimes when I have a watcher, I'll follow eBay's advice and send an offer. I don't know how many times I've sent out offers that are substantially less and include free shipping only to have it snapped up at full price by somebody else while I'm waiting on a response. Those are good problems to have I guess. Full transparency though: I get just as many sit on their hands until the offer expires.

As primarily a buyer, I do usually add a note with my offers trying to explain why it's fair (usually based on past Ebay sales or GPA). My view is that I'm hoping the seller at least sees where I'm coming from, and it's not just a blind offer for offer's sake with no rhyme or reason.

I can see how for some sellers, that doesn't matter, but I feel like for some, it would.

I have neither gotten a message nor left one concerning the OBO option. Don't really matter one way or another. If you're buying it as a gift for the president of the US I don't care. All that matters is if the amount is acceptable. Just like people saying their books were acquired thru an estate sale, found in wooden chest up in an attic, or a garage sale find. Don't matter ta doody. Just put up some good pictures of your books and forget the useless bee es. Rant over.

27 minutes ago, Ride the Tiger said:

I have neither gotten a message nor left one concerning the OBO option. Don't really matter one way or another. If you're buying it as a gift for the president of the US I don't care. All that matters is if the amount is acceptable. Just like people saying their books were acquired thru an estate sale, found in wooden chest up in an attic, or a garage sale find. Don't matter ta doody. Just put up some good pictures of your books and forget the useless bee es. Rant over.

This book was purchased after a 7 year ordeal of travelling thru the desert, fighting off bandits etc.  For that reason I think it's reasonable to charge double.

3 hours ago, kav said:

This book was purchased after a 7 year ordeal of travelling thru the desert, fighting off bandits etc.  For that reason I think it's reasonable to charge double.

Well.... then... ya. If that were the case it would probably be worth at least double. But what are the chances of that happening?

18 hours ago, kav said:

I send them a wall of text explaining why they need to sell it to me at my price.  

I've received messages of this type many times. I just decline and move on. Though, often, they'll toss in a note about how unappealing the book is due to grade or lack of fan interest so I should sell it for a miniscule price. In these cases I decline but also include a note to the effect of, "If the comic sucks so bad then I'll do you a favor and prevent you from buying it." 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to explain how an offer is derived (mine are always based off logic) so they know where I’m coming from... This can be done without saying the other person’s price is “wrong.” Surprised to see so many people here find that offensive? I call it transparency...

As a seller I gave a great deal to someone once because of their story, and a time came when I was on the other end buying/trading from them...and they haggled/milked me for every penny. I couldn’t believe it...so much for what goes around comes around. Ever since then I’ve vowed not to fall for the sentimental pitch...

I'm usually a buyer and have sent a message when a book is way over priced, I'm talking insanely over priced.  I'll make an offer and say if it doesn't sell in a month or so consider my offer. On the other side, I emailed a seller to tell him his book was under priced.  He quickly changed the price and it sold a few hours after!  He had a Secret Wars #8 Newsstand and didn't realize it.

Edited by Xenosmilus

I do because I am becoming a jaded malcontent on eBay lately. 

Example: Let's make believe I have an item listed for $100 WITH a BIN

Buyer 1: Offers me $60 - with some explanation that this is what they are willing to pay AND... hey nooooooooww.... they will pay me immediately !

I counter at $85 saying it is the best I am going to do. 

Buyer 1: Offers $70

Buyer 1: Offers $75 telling me that I am lucky to get the offer that they are making... 

Buyer 1: Offers me $80 telling me that I am robbing people but he needs the book for his dying grandmother who had but one wish... for him to get the book. 

I decline and then raise the price of the book to $150.

Then, two months later I message the buyer when the book sells for $150. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I do because I am becoming a jaded malcontent on eBay lately. 

The guy who consistently gets ebay to rule in his favor and deny refunds is malcontented.