• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you care what people say in BIN offers?
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Buzzetta said:

Buyer 1: Offers me $80 telling me that I am robbing people but he needs the book for his dying grandmother who had but one wish... for him to get the book. 

I decline and then raise the price of the book to $150.

Then, two months later I message the buyer when the book sells for $150. 

lol   Good one!

Does anyone remember the very early days of ebay (when it was in its infancy), when anyone could leave feedback for a seller whether they bought an item or not?

It lasted a very short time (thankfully!) but could you imagine what feedback would look like if they still allowed that?

As a buyer the only time I put in a note if my offer is significantly lower and I will explain why. I'll usually quote some similar sales so they know where I'm coming from. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. 

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

A very common message that does nothing in determining my acceptance:

"If you accept I will pay immediately."

This may actually catch my eye, because it seems like more and more lately that someone makes an offer, i accept it, and then they proceed to not pay for two days or more. It's ridiculous. If you make an offer, I treat that the same as a BIN, meaning I expect you're ready to pay right now. Why make an offer on something just so you can put it on hold? Ugh. These buyers these days are driving me nuts.

As to the original question, I usually don't even read the comments or messages. They have no meaning to me. Your offer works or it doesn't. I can't imagine what anyone could say that would change my mind. If they have a sob story, it's a turn off because either 1. they're making it up, which means they're lying in order to get a better price on a toy or comic book, which means they're scum or 2. they're NOT making it up, which means they're attempting to exploit personal hardship in order to get a better price on a toy or comic book, which is somehow even worse.

Reasonable offers are always welcome, and I take them more often that not. But there's no reason to tell me why you're offering what you're offering. I'm not reading it.

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

lol   Good one!

Does anyone remember the very early days of ebay (when it was in its infancy), when anyone could leave feedback for a seller whether they bought an item or not?

It lasted a very short time (thankfully!) but could you imagine what feedback would look like if they still allowed that?

eBay used to be the wild west. You could buy and sell practically anything on there. It was great. :cloud9:

1 hour ago, DanCooper said:

lol   Good one!

Conveniently that was also during a time period before many states enacted what constitutes online harassment.  A couple of sellers tried to take my money and run. I was in college back then and when you are at that age you have no fear of repercussions.  I did things twenty years ago that I would never do now lol 

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

A very common message that does nothing in determining my acceptance:

"If you accept I will pay immediately."

46 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

This may actually catch my eye, because it seems like more and more lately that someone makes an offer, i accept it, and then they proceed to not pay for two days or more. It's ridiculous. If you make an offer, I treat that the same as a BIN, meaning I expect you're ready to pay right now. Why make an offer on something just so you can put it on hold? Ugh. These buyers these days are driving me nuts.

I agree on that front. But it seems they are usually asking for a big discount because they will pay right away. Ridiculous.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:

I agree on that front. But it seems they are usually asking for a big discount because they will pay right away. Ridiculous.

Agreed, there should be no discount given just because you're willing to do what is already expected of you. 

"Hello I am interested in this $400 item - I will offer $100 but I will pay!"

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

This may actually catch my eye, because it seems like more and more lately that someone makes an offer, i accept it, and then they proceed to not pay for two days or more. It's ridiculous. If you make an offer, I treat that the same as a BIN, meaning I expect you're ready to pay right now. Why make an offer on something just so you can put it on hold? Ugh. These buyers these days are driving me nuts...

To be fair, I placed an offer on an item in which only 100 exist (not comic-related), earlier this year. I couldn't pay immediately and I also couldn't pass on the opportunity to reach an agreement with the risk of someone else finding the listing. After he accepted the final offer, I messaged the seller and told him, "I get paid in 2 days". He told me "NP" and that he'd shipped within 24 hours of payment.

Does that make a difference, if the perspective buyer messages you that it'll be a couple of days?

As has been said - communication is key.

"Please accept my offer of $100 for your $400 item-what I will do is offer $5, you accept, I pay, then you ship, then I will send the other $95."

25 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

To be fair, I placed an offer on an item in which only 100 exist (not comic-related), earlier this year. I couldn't pay immediately and I also couldn't pass on the opportunity to reach an agreement with the risk of someone else finding the listing. After he accepted the final offer, I messaged the seller and told him, "I get paid in 2 days". He told me "NP" and that he'd shipped within 24 hours of payment.

Does that make a difference, if the perspective buyer messages you that it'll be a couple of days?

As has been said - communication is key.

And I'd have no problem whatsoever if there was this communication, as you pointed out. It's the folks who come in hot and heavy with a lowball, then ghost you as soon as you accept. That's what drives me nuts. I'm not in a hurry if I know the score beforehand.

Just now, F For Fake said:

And I'd have no problem whatsoever if there was this communication, as you pointed out. It's the folks who come in hot and heavy with a lowball, then ghost you as soon as you accept. That's what drives me nuts. I'm not in a hurry if I know the score beforehand.

Gotcha. Makes sense.