• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's finally over. Dracula is smote.
2 2

80 posts in this topic

Ok, here are the last 10, starting with #10. Obviously, this has become the biggest book in the run, even more than #1. I had a CGC 9.2 for a while, so I actually bided my time on this one. It came up for auction on Heritage, and I think bidders must have fallen asleep on it. I was very happy paying what I did. I continued to receive offers through Heritage from potential buyers until I finally let them know it wasn't for sale.

Scan_20190704 (64).jpg

Issue 6- there are a few of these out there, but it took forever to get one. I just never saw any come up for sale or at auction. I found a very nice raw copy at MCCC a few years ago, but it came back 9.6 W. When the former #1 set holder finally broke up his set, I was able to get it... and paid for it.

Scan_20190704 (68).jpg

Issue number 5. Issue... number... five. The last piece of the puzzle. It just came in the mail today. Again, @Ghostzapper makes another appearance by finding out a friend of his had one of the three out there and brokered a deal for it. I have had several opportunities to get one of these over the years. From the get go, a dealer had one on his web site. I thought it was a bit too high and passed. It was eventually auctioned, and, well, let's just say I didn't win it. Then greggy had a copy of 1, 5, and 6 graded from a stash he found. I don't remember why we didn't work something out, but I didn't get that one either. One ended up in the #2 set holder's collection, but the other two didn't show up for 6 or 7 years to my knowledge. It wasn't in a ToD registry set, nor a picture frame set that I could find. They were just locked away somewhere. Ghostzapper got in touch with me remembering I needed it, and got a deal done! He is truly the comic concierge!

Scan_20190705.jpg

Number 3 and 4. These went without having a copy graded for years! Finally a 4 was graded and sold on eBay for $2000. There are 4 now and the most recent one sold for $104. :whatthe: I got mine for a fair price. Number three still only has two copies. I also was able to get mine at a decent price after two were finally graded. When there were still no copies available, I found a decent copy at WW Chicago for $7. I thought it would be a good placeholder as a 9.2 until something better came along. Joey pressed it and it came back a 9.6 White! Not bad for $7. It's been sold for a while though.

Scan_20190704 (69).jpg

Scan_20190704 (70).jpg

Issue 2. I mentioned the former #1 set holder for issue #6. He also comes into play for issue #2. When I first started to build my set, he and I would bid against each other quite a bit. If we kept up that pace, we were going to go broke. We were both firing numbers at books that were pretty ridiculous. I finally reached out to him and asked him if he'd be willing to not chase the same book at auction if we both needed it. It actually worked out very well. The lone #2 came up for auction at Hughes with 7 or 8 nice 9.8s. He said he really wanted the 2, and I got another book we both needed. We each got 2 or 3 others that we needed. We also lost a few to a still unknown bidder. (Oddly enough, I don't remember Hughes having any auctions since then, and it seems like it's been 10 years.

Anyway, when he broke up his run, he auctioned it on Heritage. I budgeted a very high number to bid between the 2 and the 6 combined. I was able to get both for about $150 less than I was going to pay. They were still expensive though.

Scan_20190704 (71).jpg

21 hours ago, electricprune said:

Issue 22. Here is where @KingOfRulers makes his first appearance. This book was on that had zero 9.8s when I started. It showed up in one of KoR's sales threads, but I didn't see it until several days after it was posted. I was surprised it was still there being the only copy graded and he had a fair price on it as well. I actually made him an offer and he discounted it a little bit. There are only 3 copies at 9.8 currently.

Scan_20190704 (52).jpg

I love looking at entire runs laid out like this. This cover stands out as my favorite. So creepy!

20 hours ago, electricprune said:

Number 3 and 4. These went without having a copy graded for years! Finally a 4 was graded and sold on eBay for $2000. There are 4 now and the most recent one sold for $104. :whatthe: I got mine for a fair price. Number three still only has two copies. I also was able to get mine at a decent price after two were finally graded. When there were still no copies available, I found a decent copy at WW Chicago for $7. I thought it would be a good placeholder as a 9.2 until something better came along. Joey pressed it and it came back a 9.6 White! Not bad for $7. It's been sold for a while though.

Scan_20190704 (69).jpg

Scan_20190704 (70).jpg

Was the #4 from a seller in Florida? Intergalactic I believe.