• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BCW Showcases Love/Hate
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have used BCW Showcases for a lot of my ungraded Keys for a long time. Generally I love the product, but it has some issues imo.

IMG_20190526_095242241.thumb.jpg.c86a21666842727ad904623d58c35250.jpg

IMG_20190526_095246199.thumb.jpg.48005dcc64ad851ce250bbc988b567a9.jpg

IMG_20181102_095857563.thumb.jpg.3e8ea7ddaff82206a736cbf02145604a.jpg

The product is intended to be used without a bag and board but I cannot bring myself to use them that way as there is room for book movement which will ding corners and cause general disarray.

images.jpeg.ec813535592326ee04bf22b49c8658e6.jpeg

When putting books in the showcase with a bag and board I get the feeling that the case is putting stress on the book, which has caused me to remove most of my very high grade raw books to avoid even the slightest of damage. I've opted to place my highest grade books in a top-loader instead.

Others have suggested trimming the boards to get a better fit, which I have done with my ASM 300 and WBN 32.

I figured I'd get a discussion going on them and see how others display their raw books.

19 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

I figured I'd get a discussion going on them and see how others display their raw books.

Cue the crowd who will tell you never, in any circumstances, display your comics.

Pull your most favored books into their own short/long box, in alphabetical order, and then have a look at any of them whenever you want.  Ease of access with no risk of light or uv overexposure.

Another approach is to have high quality oversized prints made of favorite comic covers, which can then be framed and displayed even in direct sunlight.

Finally, high resolution scans of favorite books look great on a large retina display computer monitor.

I stuck with the latter two methods with my own collection.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Cue the crowd who will tell you never, in any circumstances, display your comics.

58 minutes ago, namisgr said:

Pull your most favored books into their own short/long box, in alphabetical order, and then have a look at any of them whenever you want.  Ease of access with no risk of light or uv overexposure.

Another approach is to have high quality oversized prints made of favorite comic covers, which can then be framed and displayed even in direct sunlight.

Finally, high resolution scans of favorite books look great on a large retina display computer monitor.

I stuck with the latter two methods with my own collection.

I should have specified that I use the the UV protected showcases.

10 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I should have specified that I use the the UV protected showcases.

By mentioning alternatives, I was responding to your comment that your current display system has issues.

46 minutes ago, namisgr said:

By mentioning alternatives, I was responding to your comment that your current display system has issues.

Appreciate the suggestions. Made the thread to discuss all display methods showing people all the options. Always liked the idea of oversized prints.

Also wanted discuss these showcases because as a product they are the top of the line but still leave me wanting in some areas... Specifically book fit. 

I'm keeping all my most NM books in top-loaders in boxes. I'm keeping some mid grade keys keys in the Showcases for display along with my high grade ASM 300 and 4.0ish WBN 32 because they are books I aspired to get and like seeing them daily. I trimed the boards and got the best fit possible for both of those as they are important to me and don't want to incur damage from displaying.

Edited by Lurker89