• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

White paper showing
1 1

20 posts in this topic

My book is showing a paper piece sliding out, doesn't look like a page. Read somewhere that CGC puts in a paper material for preservation purposes, could this be it? Anyone seen this before? Book is SS FF #236.IMG_0015.thumb.JPG.eab51f678302b8e75c6ef17850f8c60e.JPGIMG_0016.thumb.JPG.96c090a078ff7fce25f4e2abf3ad4051.JPG

Thanks all. Leave it or reholder? I don't display my books that much so it doesn't bother me, but not sure if it will make some damage if the book moves around a bit in the case with that paper sticking out like that.

41 minutes ago, bobotski said:

Thanks all. Leave it or reholder? I don't display my books that much so it doesn't bother me, but not sure if it will make some damage if the book moves around a bit in the case with that paper sticking out like that.

This is a pretty common occurrence. The good news is that the book looks like it's being held in place by a plastic "wedge" at the bottom edge of the inner well (the wedge was put there by someone in the encapsulation room at CGC to help keep the book stable in the holder). The microchamber paper appears to have been placed between the front cover and the first page, and because it's so thin (and not attached to anything) it's able to work it's way downward. The paper should only be able to go so far before it bottoms out, and it may have already reached that point. There are ways to get the paper to move back to where it belongs, but if you're OK with it, so be it...  :)   

wow what a great seller to offer refund for re holder fee.. 

but as mentioned this is the micro chamber paper used to help preserve the book.. you can try to gentle tap the slab to shift it back into place so you dont see it.. key word gentle 

I attempted to lightly tap it but didn't get anywhere. I'm just concerned that the micro chamber paper may press against the well walls and make an impression on the cover. I'll leave the FF#236 alone since its more straight but I'll send the Hulk for reholder.

21 hours ago, bobotski said:

I attempted to lightly tap it but didn't get anywhere. I'm just concerned that the micro chamber paper may press against the well walls and make an impression on the cover. I'll leave the FF#236 alone since its more straight but I'll send the Hulk for reholder.

in my opinion I wouldn't stress about the micro chamber paper causing damage I would be more worried about shipping it to get re holdered I would make sure the entire book is not loose to move around easy. Look up shaken comic syndrome there are some threads and pics " warning not for the faint of heart" 

the microchamber paper sticking out wont harm the book in my opinion. but shipping a loose book in a holder and if you get this guy transporting your stuff... :eek:

I did not know that CGC used micro chamber paper to help preserve the comics and grades. I've wondered what would happen over time to the integrity of the paper and now happy to hear that CGC has taken the steps to help slow the aging process.

Been schooled.... thanks.

It's in the FAQ

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/faq/

Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered after a certain number of years?

No. The CGC holder is designed for long-term preservation and provides superior protection for your books. A properly handled and stored CGC-certified book can last for generations.

The CGC holder is made from high-quality materials and is entirely archival-safe. The inner well that holds books, for example, is comprised of PETG, a plastic that is well known to be archival-safe and extremely clear. This PETG well is placed inside of a durable outer case that is sonically welded to ensure a secure, tamper-evident seal. For added long-term preservation, CGC inserts *MicroChamber® paper into vintage books prior to encapsulation. This MicroChamber paper helps to neutralize the natural acidity of some books by using a specialized, proprietary “zeolite” that was designed to absorb and hold the molecules known to damage archival collections. That is why MicroChamber paper is used by many of the world’s most respected museums and institutions, including the Smithsonian Institution, the Getty Conservation Institute, the Louvre, the British Museum and the Northeast Document Conservation Center. To further protect books from the natural off-gassing that releases acidic molecules over time, CGC has a secure sonic seal that is NOT airtight so that acidic molecules are not trapped inside the holder.

*MicroChamber® is a registered trademark of Conservation Resources International, Inc.

1 hour ago, jokiing said:

I did not know that CGC used micro chamber paper to help preserve the comics and grades. I've wondered what would happen over time to the integrity of the paper and now happy to hear that CGC has taken the steps to help slow the aging process.

Been schooled.... thanks.

I think they have been there for a long time, at least for pre-glossy paper books. Surely they were there in some I deslabbed a few years ago.

19 hours ago, Ka-dujh said:

It's in the FAQ

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/faq/

Is it necessary to get my CGC book reholdered after a certain number of years?

I'm glad that someone has read the rules book....

I found the MicroChamber® paper on ebay and bought a short stack... interested to see how it works on a smelly comic.

Thanks and welcome to the boards.

Ha! I came across the same thing and, fortunately, found this post. The pictures make is look must worse and as if it could be the comic book pages. But when you hold it in your hand and look along the entire edge, you can clearly see it's the micro-chamber sheet. No biggie.

Corner 03.jpg

Corner 2.jpg

Corner 01.jpg