• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Grading Fees

7 posts in this topic

Their offices are closed today (7/5/2019) and I would like to ship tomorrow.  

So "Economy" has a max value of $400 or "Value" at $200, if the book has a FMV of, e.g., $1750, does this force you to use the "Express" category? 

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks.....

Doesn’t force you, but in the event of damage you wouldn’t be able to recover FMV. 

That and CGC would likely bump you to the higher tier anyway. 

Edited by joeypost

3 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Doesn’t force you, but in the even if damage you wouldn’t be able to recover FMV. 

That and CGC would likely bump you to the higher tier anyway. 

Joey is spot on.

The tier system is to protect you in the event of damage/loss when it is at CGC, so knowingly dropping it down to a lower tier only hurts you.  But then there can be really large money differences between the grades so that comes into play also.

I would recommend being fair with your assessment of the value going into it with the idea of "if this gets damaged, lost, stolen, etc. How much would it cost me to replace it?"

If you send in a $1750 FMV book under the $200 tier, they will likely bump you to the correct tier and reach out to let you know the differences in price and why (that would be my guess at least).

Or you can take the path that you don't know how to grade and send it in the Standard tier (Max $1000) which is much better then sending it in Economy.

Less likely to get it bumped if you don't go the grading "low ball" route.

36 minutes ago, JohnFranklin said:

Thanks for the responses.  So if I am understanding the FMV limits, these dollar values per tier are the amounts that CGC will be responsible should something happen while the book is in their possession, correct?

Yes, the declared FMV limit is the amount that that CGC - or USPS - would be responsible for should something happen while in the possession of CGC or shipped back to you by the US Postal service.  Because the declared amount is also the insured amount when being shipped back to you. I mention USPS specifically because while UPS and FedEx are return shipping options, those packages are only insured for $100, period. Regardless of declared value. The expectation by CGC is that anyone using FedEx or UPS has private shipping insurance. Otherwise CGC uses registered mail. As secure and safe as it gets. 

I will disagree with a few others though on the likelihood of being "bumped up".  CGC seems little inclined to argue about the FMV of books submitted. I've seen books submitted under the Value tier (FMV limit of $200) that after grading were worth 3-5K.  No bump. And CGC's own webpage - in announcing that the modern tier was rolled back to 1975 (from 1980) pictured a Giant Size X-Men 1 CGC graded 9.6. That books is worth many multiples of the $200 FMV limit of the modern tier. 

So really it comes down to insurance coverage in the event of a problem. Problems are rare. But as the saying goes - "the odds being one in a million doesn't mean much to the one"  AND also turn around time (TAT). If you list the book at $1750 and pay the express tier price, the book will be done and on it's way back to you in a week. The economy tier will be done in about four months, Economy  three months, Standard tier in about six weeks.