• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad experience with MGA
2 2

33 posts in this topic

So I asked MGA (More Great Art) about a piece they listed on CAF for $5000. They said they could come down to $4500. I sent an email accepting the deal and then they sent me this...

Hi West, I have the offer in to Ed. I'm awaiting approval. 

He is away for the weekend. The only way I can guarantee the cover is at $5k.

Mike.

Really? Is that how this guy normally does business? Make a deal then have to confirm he can actually make the deal once the offer was accepted? Lousy IMO. I won't do business with somebody who plays these games. There is too much good art out there to deal with this kind of bs.

39 minutes ago, Timely said:

So I asked MGA (More Great Art) about a piece they listed on CAF for $5000. They said they could come down to $4500. I sent an email accepting the deal and then they sent me this...

Mike.

Really? Is that how this guy normally does business? Make a deal then have to confirm he can actually make the deal once the offer was accepted? Lousy IMO. I won't do business with somebody who plays these games. There is too much good art out there to deal with this kind of bs.

Let me suggest, respectfully, that if you want it and they come back at anything other than $4,500, you say no. You were probably given a quote at what MGA thought they could sell it for, and that MGA must confirm it can be sold for that price. MGA should have told you that up front.

Legally, you would be correct, there is an offer and acceptance, so there would be a contract for the price, but that's not going to do you much good in the real world.

You do have a right to be pissed off; I would be, too. 

Edited by Rick2you2

i feel your irritation. Listen if it's a piece you really want give him a chance to make it right. early on I had similar experiences and told the dealer "go to hell." One time it was piece I really liked and I let it go. Never got another shot at it and the dollar value soared over the years. Pride before the fall.

I agree, definitely an irritating position. I would definitely wait, as suggested by others, to see what they come back. Hopefully it’s all good in the hood. 

I’ll now hijack/expand upon this because it’s a topic I’ve been dwelling upon. 

I’ll hold up Felix as an idea rep - responsive, proactive, efficient. And overall my experiences have been GREAT in this hobby. 

BUT...

1) This has been driving me crazy. Before Como I contacted a rep about a cover their artist had done that I really liked. They said they’d talk to the artist at Como and get back to me.  I still haven’t heard back. I’ve sent a polite reminder once a week (after a long gap) but nothing. WTF?!? This is a mid to high 4 figure purchase too. Do I have to send a CAF link to establish my “legitimacy”? Additionally, IMHO, the rep asked way too much for the piece in question. I have a fair grasp of the market, and this was beyond the pale.

2) Another extremely talented artist had a rep who is overpricing the art and, frankly, being a bit sketch at cons. I commissioned a two figure con sketch and paid accordingly, and the result was a double bust. It is a PHENOMENAL piece and the artist really poured their effort into executing it and I love it, but it’s a double bust, not two full figures - and the rep should have explained or compensated for it. And currently, this artist had amazing pieces of work unsold for many months because it is overpriced. 

3) This is minor, I purchase a piece and the rep was just slow about updating me as to why it was not shipping. And I only start asking after minimum 2 weeks. It turns out the artist was moving and obviously in flux about their possessions - no problem a perfectly acceptable explanation, but please tell me that instead of not replying or telling me something else. I work as an agent in an unrelated field and I understand the many nuances of representing someone to a customer, and communication is basically your job. I will say, after a couple snafus, the artist sent me, at no additional cost, a superior piece. 

End of the day, I’m patient and always polite, but don’t think I won’t remember if you tried to pull something on me. 

Have a great weekend everyone. 

3 hours ago, Timely said:

Mike.

Yes, this hasn't been handled well.  They shouldn't accept a deal until they know it's a done deal.  Perhaps Mike made a mistake assuming the offer was good and realized he'd have to clear it or perhaps he misspoke when he replied.  I'd stay classy here and wait to see if you get it for $4500.  Once I had the piece in hand or my offer was rejected I'd politely point out that unconditionally accepting an offer and then adding conditions, as occurred here, isn't the best way to conduct business. 

And yes, being told the only way to guarantee a piece is to pay their asking price after a lower offer was accepted would frost my toenails.

Hi guys, sorry this got aired in the public. I never make it a habit to answer in this or any other forum because it should be settled between the two parties. I spoke to West and offered my apologies. He neglected to write my response.

Hi West, I understand the confusion and I apologize. I gave you the impression that I have the OK to dictate terms. Which I do what I should have included was pending his approval. That's on me. But if you want me to hold a cover I need a deposit. That's with all our transactions. I've  have had other inquires but informed clients that there is a deal pending on this cover. So im not sure why your angry. All you wrote me back is I'll take it at 4500 payment on Tuesday.

You didn't even let me say sure can I get a small deposit.

Let me know and again I'm sorry you are angry.

Mike

My apologies

So I'm supposed to hold a cover without a deposit with some one I don't know.

Again my apologies it's got this far and I was the cause. We always intended to honor my offer with a deposit. That's all i was asking and could not guarantee the cover unless we had one.

Mike

MGA

Gentleman this seems like a misunderstanding. I'd love to see you complete the deal and then lets get an image of the art on this thread so we can help you celebrate a successful transaction. Rooting for both sides here:-)

7 hours ago, Timely said:

Yeah, on the comics side this kind of behavior is why I stopped doing business with Robert Roter many years ago.

2 hours ago, FETTBOB1 said:

So I'm supposed to hold a cover without a deposit with some one I don't know.

Yes, if you agreed to sell the cover to him without saying that you needed a deposit. 

In any event, did he say that he was not going to pay you the full $4500 until some distant date?  If he's planning on paying the full $4500 immediately, after you indicated you would sell it to him at $4500 (without any indication of a requirement for a deposit), why would he need to put a deposit down?  In the same time it would take him to pay the deposit, he'll just pay the entire $4500. 

3 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Yes, if you agreed to sell the cover to him without saying that you needed a deposit. 

In any event, did he say that he was not going to pay you the full $4500 until some distant date?  If he's planning on paying the full $4500 immediately, after you indicated you would sell it to him at $4500 (without any indication of a requirement for a deposit), why would he need to put a deposit down?  In the same time it would take him to pay the deposit, he'll just pay the entire $4500. 

The whole conversation was based on price. No mention of terms. I was under the assumption payment was going to be immediate. The response was Tuesday with a check.

I reserve the right to set payment terms for my client. Again I sent my apologies to him and the rest of the board for any misunderstandings as you see in the thread.

Given time and a few more emails I'm sure this would have been sorted out. But i got blasted for wanting to make sure I and the client understood the deal. 

I've done business with a lot great people over ten years most leaving with a smile on their face. Never once have I blasted anyone on any forum for a late or non payment on a piece.

How can some one blast me for a deal that was still incomplete in my eyes. Does it sound like I wasn't willing to listen to anything he had to say in my response? 

Again to everyone my apologies, but i stand by my decision even though admittedly mistakes could have been avoided.

Have a great 4th of July weekend.

Mike

MGA

9 hours ago, dichotomy said:

I agree, definitely an irritating position. I would definitely wait, as suggested by others, to see what they come back. Hopefully it’s all good in the hood. 

I’ll now hijack/expand upon this because it’s a topic I’ve been dwelling upon. 

I’ll hold up Felix as an idea rep - responsive, proactive, efficient. And overall my experiences have been GREAT in this hobby. 

BUT...

1) This has been driving me crazy. Before Como I contacted a rep about a cover their artist had done that I really liked. They said they’d talk to the artist at Como and get back to me.  I still haven’t heard back. I’ve sent a polite reminder once a week (after a long gap) but nothing. WTF?!? This is a mid to high 4 figure purchase too. Do I have to send a CAF link to establish my “legitimacy”? Additionally, IMHO, the rep asked way too much for the piece in question. I have a fair grasp of the market, and this was beyond the pale.

2) Another extremely talented artist had a rep who is overpricing the art and, frankly, being a bit sketch at cons. I commissioned a two figure con sketch and paid accordingly, and the result was a double bust. It is a PHENOMENAL piece and the artist really poured their effort into executing it and I love it, but it’s a double bust, not two full figures - and the rep should have explained or compensated for it. And currently, this artist had amazing pieces of work unsold for many months because it is overpriced. 

3) This is minor, I purchase a piece and the rep was just slow about updating me as to why it was not shipping. And I only start asking after minimum 2 weeks. It turns out the artist was moving and obviously in flux about their possessions - no problem a perfectly acceptable explanation, but please tell me that instead of not replying or telling me something else. I work as an agent in an unrelated field and I understand the many nuances of representing someone to a customer, and communication is basically your job. I will say, after a couple snafus, the artist sent me, at no additional cost, a superior piece. 

End of the day, I’m patient and always polite, but don’t think I won’t remember if you tried to pull something on me. 

Have a great weekend everyone. 

1. It looks like there was a list price and you were making an offer to pay less. I interpret the silence as a rejection. Sometimes artists want more than the market will bear, and eventually change their mind to make a sale. Other times, someone buys it. I suggest that if you really want it, you may have to spend more than market price. It happens.

2. If it is really great, don’t complain too loudly. You could have gotten 2 lousy full figures. As to the value of what you say is overpriced work, same comment as above. Finally, I know you said you paid for 2 full figures, but what do you have in writing to support it if that statement is challenged? There could have been a misunderstanding.

3. You are right, but s**t happens.

Never having done business with MGA I know nothing about him or his reputation. What turned me off was him asking for the full amount to "guarantee" I get the art. 

Only after I told him to forget it did he email me and ask for a down payment. But why would I need to send a down payment if I'm sending full payment in 2 days? I could have said I'll send payment out right away, and with the inconsistency of snail mail he wouldn't have known the difference, but I was upfront about sending a check on Tuesday instead of Monday. 

Anyway, what's done is done. If you guys say he's a good guy I'll believe you, I just didn't get that good guy experience from Mike.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

1. It looks like there was a list price and you were making an offer to pay less. I interpret the silence as a rejection. Sometimes artists want more than the market will bear, and eventually change their mind to make a sale. Other times, someone buys it. I suggest that if you really want it, you may have to spend more than market price. It happens.

2. If it is really great, don’t complain too loudly. You could have gotten 2 lousy full figures. As to the value of what you say is overpriced work, same comment as above. Finally, I know you said you paid for 2 full figures, but what do you have in writing to support it if that statement is challenged? There could have been a misunderstanding.

3. You are right, but s**t happens.

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the feedback and understanding how other collectors work. Clarifying some points below  

1. The rep is ghosting, or so it seems. He owed me a reply on a couple points. I’m always willing to enter into a conversation on price, and I can feel how much I like the piece because I have been thinking about it, so likely I will pay the ‘right’ price - but it has to start with a conversation! 

2.  My point including this experience is to comment on rep expectations. The entire commission was set up through the rep - and there was a clear price list. The artists wasn’t at the table at that point. GREAT artist - I prepared, waited, and paid to get the commission. I did my due diligence. I was rewarded with quality artwork. BUT, paying what I paid, and getting less, it is the rep’s responsibility (I wouldn’t even involve the artist) to maybe say “hey, I know you paid for 2 full figures, let me knock a hundred off.” It’s partly the money, but partly the awareness on the reps part that the transaction wasn’t fully completed. I certainly didn’t complain at the time - I could barely pour out enough compliments I was so thrilled - and this is the first time I am mentioning it in 2 years. It’s only the additional aspect of the high priced artwork that causes me to mention it here. It’s not that it’s too expensive for me, it’s too expensive for anyone. None of the pieces are moving, and I’ll bet with a tad more realistic pricing, they would move and further enhance the artists career and exposure. He is right at the peak of his ability with many years to go. 

3. Correct, but again, it’s the rep’s job to maintain communication, to let the customer (who has already paid) know that they have not been forgotten. 

13 hours ago, dichotomy said:

I’ll hold up Felix as an idea rep - responsive, proactive, efficient.

Yes. 100% no BS. There isn't anybody in this hobby, even very old hands that couldn't learn something from him re: professionalism. Folks that have me blocked or otherwise can barely control their temper every time I post...know that I do not hand out blanket compliments lightly or...ever ;)

Anybody that's ever had a bad experience with Felix should post it. I just don't think it's ever happened otherwise!

Edited by vodou
typo

7 hours ago, FETTBOB1 said:

How can some one blast me for a deal that was still incomplete in my eyes. Does it sound like I wasn't willing to listen to anything he had to say in my response? 

You need to tighten up your operation. Every contact is gold. Every real near target offer to buy is platinum and should be handled as such. Either you understand that or you don't.

You're a rep. Big deal. This means you have nothing "into" your business but your name/reputation and customer service. The second can burn the first mighty fast. And then you have nothing.

Anyway I've never done business with you to date, may not ever, but if I was going to...I'd be hesitant and dead-on cagey re: offer and acceptance. If nothing else...know what your artists bottom line is, thus your discount or do not discount as web site stated policy. The "let's wait and see" model is poor customer service. So is "let me check with my Brother", a hobby klassick :insane:

Edited by vodou
typo

I have never done business with MGA and don't plan to.

I am not sure but once I inquired about purchasing a piece immediately and the rep was asking me for references in order to purchase. WTF??? Reference for a piece I want to pay immediately for? Needless to say I said "you know what? I'll think I'll invest my money elsewhere!"

Patience is a virtue in this hobby that is all I will tell you. Dealing with people is always complicated in any area. Apparently your offer has been accepted and they just wanted to secure the sale with a deposit, one that you no doubt would loose in case you backed out of the deal. Some people are expecting people to back out of a deal and make some easy money, lol.