• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Florida Supercon
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hey good afternoon all. Quick question... any reason why CGC wasn’t present at Florida Supercon 2019?? I had some books to grade and found out they were not at the event.  Any reason for the no show ???   Thanks. 

On 7/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, Mike Diaz said:

Hey good afternoon all. Quick question... any reason why CGC wasn’t present at Florida Supercon 2019?? I had some books to grade and found out they were not at the event.  Any reason for the no show ???   Thanks. 

I was told that the sale of Florida Supercon to Reed took a bit longer than expected, and so they weren't able to get CGC on in time.  I too was disappointed that they weren't there.

33 minutes ago, mdube16 said:

in the end I choose not to go due to what seemed like a lack of actual comic book dealers.   Were there actually comics there outside of the few regular local vendors?

Not really.  Hopefully next year Reed fully assimilates this show and gets the comic book aspect figured out.  If Neal Adams, Jim Starlin and Mike Zeck are going to be there, they need to have CGC there.

Edited by zosocane

they had a facilitator taking books for CGC, i know it doesn't appeal to everyone including myself. without CGC present at the con, i didn't feel it was worthwhile dealing with the Miami traffic and what not. hopefully they step up their game next year and i would definletely like to see it back in broward county.  Miami = PITA driveing,parking,etc

On 7/12/2019 at 9:35 PM, Gabagool said:

they had a facilitator taking books for CGC, i know it doesn't appeal to everyone including myself. without CGC present at the con, i didn't feel it was worthwhile dealing with the Miami traffic and what not. hopefully they step up their game next year and i would definletely like to see it back in broward county.  Miami = PITA driveing,parking,etc

I can't see that happening.

I think the convention center in Broward County is limited access for the next few years (construction).

Plus, the only reason Florida Supercon was in Fort Lauderdale in the recent past was because the Miami Beach Convention Center was under construction.

There is no venue in Broward County large enough for the size Supercon has grown to, unfortunately (even without construction issues).

It's in Miami to stay (which is where it always wanted to be).

I always have32090698_20190705_1922351.thumb.jpg.8a1f0600148a8e3002135e4e7ee9fdbc.jpg133645976_20190705_1922131.thumb.jpg.fd5defcce86fce4729b4b3ff54b3f242.jpg a corner booth presence at this convention ( last 4 shows ) and carried comics from the late 1930's to the present, with about 1000 CGC books available for purchase just at my table. There were some dealers from outside of the South Florida Tri-County area. If you looked around the room , there were Amazing Fantasy 15 , ASM #1-10, X-Men #1 and up, FF #3 to #10, Avengers #1 & #4, Incredible Hulks #3 and #6 CGC SS with Stan, X-Men 95 CGC SS 9..8 also Stan signed, Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics from the 1940's , several Captain America Comics (Timely) , assorted Golden Age books and even a few Platinum Age comics. I personally purchased several books from those non Miami vendors because they were the right key books being offered at the right price. 

Also present was a good mix of Silver to Modern Age comics. Items like: Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 and some lower, Iron Man #55 CGC 9.4  - ASM #121, 129,  thus lots of CGC books to be had if you only took the time to look. What I did not see were super early Detectives (27-50) or Batmans below issue #25  - Supercon Miami has never been or will never be San Diego. Personally I prefer a lesser number of quality dealers over having 100 booths filled with their  excess inventory of recent books blowing them out at $1.00 each that add no real value to my personal collection. 

On the CGC presence, it would have been nice to have them there for convenience but in it's place there were two CGC facilitators witnessing signatures and taking books to be delivered to CGC and then CGC mails your comics back to you directly when they are done. I have used them both before for years and never had any issues. May be when CGC sees the large amount of books these two guys took in CGC will realize being being there is a win/win for CGC and collectors alike. That is my take. See you next year.

20 hours ago, HardlyCollectAnyComics said:

I always have32090698_20190705_1922351.thumb.jpg.8a1f0600148a8e3002135e4e7ee9fdbc.jpg133645976_20190705_1922131.thumb.jpg.fd5defcce86fce4729b4b3ff54b3f242.jpg a corner booth presence at this convention ( last 4 shows ) and carried comics from the late 1930's to the present, with about 1000 CGC books available for purchase just at my table. There were some dealers from outside of the South Florida Tri-County area. If you looked around the room , there were Amazing Fantasy 15 , ASM #1-10, X-Men #1 and up, FF #3 to #10, Avengers #1 & #4, Incredible Hulks #3 and #6 CGC SS with Stan, X-Men 95 CGC SS 9..8 also Stan signed, Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics from the 1940's , several Captain America Comics (Timely) , assorted Golden Age books and even a few Platinum Age comics. I personally purchased several books from those non Miami vendors because they were the right key books being offered at the right price. 

Also present was a good mix of Silver to Modern Age comics. Items like: Incredible Hulk 181 CGC 6.5 and some lower, Iron Man #55 CGC 9.4  - ASM #121, 129,  thus lots of CGC books to be had if you only took the time to look. What I did not see were super early Detectives (27-50) or Batmans below issue #25  - Supercon Miami has never been or will never be San Diego. Personally I prefer a lesser number of quality dealers over having 100 booths filled with their  excess inventory of recent books blowing them out at $1.00 each that add no real value to my personal collection. 

On the CGC presence, it would have been nice to have them there for convenience but in it's place there were two CGC facilitators witnessing signatures and taking books to be delivered to CGC and then CGC mails your comics back to you directly when they are done. I have used them both before for years and never had any issues. May be when CGC sees the large amount of books these two guys took in CGC will realize being being there is a win/win for CGC and collectors alike. That is my take. See you next year.

Very cool. So good to hear. I've gone for the past decade, but I'm always too busy to check out the old funny book selection.

Since ReedPop bought the show I'm no longer involved. It was a strange feeling not being there while it was happening.

Maybe I'll have time to scour for golden age in Raleigh next week.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:18 PM, circumstances said:

I can't see that happening.

I think the convention center in Broward County is limited access for the next few years (construction).

Plus, the only reason Florida Supercon was in Fort Lauderdale in the recent past was because the Miami Beach Convention Center was under construction.

There is no venue in Broward County large enough for the size Supercon has grown to, unfortunately (even without construction issues).

It's in Miami to stay (which is where it always wanted to be).

you're incorrect. it was in broward county the past year and it was completely fine.  everything they would normally have at any of their previous cons in dade county was there at the broward convention center. i also heard they went to broward due to some financial dispute and the owners of the miami beach convention center didn't want to work with them. supercon is what it is. it's a decent show with usually the same artists and writers appearing every year with a mix of a few others.the celebs are usually decent. i would have attended this past july show but don't like dealing with the facilitators instead of actual CGC themselves. i also know quite a few collectors that feel the same way. i take it your a miami dade resident ? lol us broward folks can't stand the the drive going down there.

I have resided in Miami Dade County for over 50 years and agree that traffic, anywhere in the tri-county area, is complicated at best. 

Whatever the reason , most of us would like to have a second show up in Broward to compliment the Miami Beach presence. But in the end, it is not up to us the collectors / sellers, it is up to the show promoter to make a commitment to and spend the $$ required to get the show back into Broward.  In so far as CGC, I would welcome their making a commitment to attending the largest S. Florida show and showing their long term support to this market. 

2 hours ago, Gabagool said:

you're incorrect. it was in broward county the past year and it was completely fine.  everything they would normally have at any of their previous cons in dade county was there at the broward convention center. i also heard they went to broward due to some financial dispute and the owners of the miami beach convention center didn't want to work with them. supercon is what it is. it's a decent show with usually the same artists and writers appearing every year with a mix of a few others.the celebs are usually decent. i would have attended this past july show but don't like dealing with the facilitators instead of actual CGC themselves. i also know quite a few collectors that feel the same way. i take it your a miami dade resident ? lol us broward folks can't stand the the drive going down there.

I live in Plantation. Everything I said is correct. I help run the show. Although not anymore since it was sold to ReedPop. I am still affiliated with GalaxyCon (our new name after the sale of Supercon to ReedPop). Our shows are now in Louisville, Richmond, Raleigh and Minneapolis. Zero affiliation with Florida Supercon now (including the show last month).

3 hours ago, circumstances said:

I live in Plantation. Everything I said is correct. I help run the show. Although not anymore since it was sold to ReedPop. I am still affiliated with GalaxyCon (our new name after the sale of Supercon to ReedPop). Our shows are now in Louisville, Richmond, Raleigh and Minneapolis. Zero affiliation with Florida Supercon now (including the show last month).

Except the whole part about the broward convention center not being able to handle a show the size of super-con. if you ran it the prior year, you should  know it was capable of working and it did work. from what others told me was they moved it back to miami because they had gotten the deal they wanted with Miami beach convention center.

they really do need to step up the show. it is lackluster compared to say Megacon in orlando or similar shows.

37 minutes ago, Gabagool said:

Except the whole part about the broward convention center not being able to handle a show the size of super-con. if you ran it the prior year, you should  know it was capable of working and it did work. from what others told me was they moved it back to miami because they had gotten the deal they wanted with Miami beach convention center.

they really do need to step up the show. it is lackluster compared to say Megacon in orlando or similar shows.

K. And can't help with the future, it's ReedPop now and we're no longer involved.