• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HipComic. Anyone here familiar with this site before I go all in?

16 posts in this topic

I kept getting emails from this site plugging their auctions and I just assumed it was from an Ebay seller I had purchased from.When I finally clicked on the link I found a complete selling site devoted to comics mainly but also to stamps and postcards.Something about it seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it.I am really tempted to start listing there,especially considering the 22% total fees ebay hit me with last month.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

15 hours ago, Toz said:

I kept getting emails from this site plugging their auctions and I just assumed it was from an Ebay seller I had purchased from.When I finally clicked on the link I found a complete selling site devoted to comics mainly but also to stamps and postcards.Something about it seems familiar but I can't put my finger on it.I am really tempted to start listing there,especially considering the 22% total fees ebay hit me with last month.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I get their spam emails all the time too.  I have no idea why I get them.  I have never opened one yet.

I get these too! I also assumed it was some random eBay seller I'd bought from at some point.

Not sure whether 1¢ auctions are a good business model, but they definitely seem to know what they're doing when it comes to spam "email marketing"!

15 hours ago, adampasz said:

Not sure whether 1¢ auctions are a good business model, but they definitely seem to know what they're doing when it comes to spam "email marketing"!

1 cent auctions + free postage = a redistribution of inventory = Sayonara once completed.  

They do sound very hip though. Sadly, too hip for the likes of an old fuddy-duddy, like me., My concerns are that my mere presence would bring everyone down, and have a hip, maybe even, dare I say it, groovy experience for everyone come to an abrupt halt.

A bulk of their listings are from David Alexander (DTA Collectibles).  His son, Tyler, still frequents here occasionally and used to run sales here. DTA has their own and also they have a store on Amazon as well as Ebay.  Reputable dealer.  Marks Comics runs auctions on Hip of usually high grade slabbed books.  

I have never had a problem with Hip - one time they had a deal where they would credit your PP account a certain discount back which varied based on how much you bought -  I bought a couple of slabs from DTA (made offers which were accepted) and without issue received a payback from Hip.

Anyone have any new thoughts on this site? They have almost 500,000 comics listed, although nearly 1/2 are from newkadia. the site is dominated by 3 or 4 stores. Based on the #s of feedbacks (understanding not every transaction results in feedback), it seems like a lot of listings for not that many sales. like I sell as many books a month listing 100-150 items on ebay as a seller with a 10,000 item store does there. It looks like a nice platform and a $5 a month store with 10,000 listings sounds awesome, but if very few people are buying, it is pointless to spend the time populating a store there. I have dreams of my son running a store there where I could park less expensive stuff that is not a good fit on ebay where I don't want to waste precious store listings on $2 comics.

10 minutes ago, the blob said:

I guess the lack of a response confirms my fears. It is a nice set up, but the people running it have not done what is needed to generate eyeballs. A real shame. 

I can't get past the format to even look at it.  I guess I can't be arsed to learn yet another website, which is mostly populated with stuff already on eBay.

I've browsed there stuff once a while ago I keep getting emails from them all the time don't know how... oh well..