• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange PayPal claim situation, possible scammer?

35 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Buzzetta couldn't the just match the tracking address with what eBay told him it was without printing through PayPal?

I mean if both are identical, why would it differ?

I'm thinking of printing out the labels from eBay now, but I don't have a bunch of priority mail boxes at home... just regular cardboard boxes, how do you know the printing label will charge enough?

Do you just pack it at the post office?

I'm new to selling on ebay...

Because the USPS tracking number is not as tied to eBay as some would believe.   If you take a look at a USPS tracking number it appears to track the parcel as it moves through each zip code but not the actual address.   eBay is also aware of some scams that could very easily exist without printing the correct label from them.

Remember, the address that the buyer enters is the address that is automatically submitted when a label is generated.  I know from first hand knowledge that eBay can detect when you buy the label through them and also if something is changed in the buyer's address.  For example, so long as you leave the buyer's self submitted address when you go to generate a label you will see a little message in your seller screen that says, "eligible for seller protection."  If you want to verify what I am talking about add a character, something innocuous like a period, or erase a period if one was submitted.  Maybe add a dash or capitalize a letter that should be capitalized that was not.  If you manipulate the address in any way shape or form you will see that little message in your seller screen change to, "May NOT be eligible for seller protection." or something like that. 

There are many reasons that eBay safeguards their labels and encourages sellers to generate labels through them or PayPal. 

1 - Let's say that a buyer submits an order and lives in New Jersey.   It just so happens that I have relatives that live in the same town in New Jersey.  I change the street address and send my item to my relative instead of the buyer.  Now, if eBay did not distinguish between what is protected and what is not, I could say, look it landed in the correct zip code therefore the buyer got his item when in reality he did not.  This is a great way to scam the system.   Now before you say that is a slim possibility, let's make sure we understand that in real life, I live in the same zip code as three other board members, two of which are very active on these boards.   I also work in the same zip code as a fourth board member.  It's a smaller world than some think. 

2 - Let's go the innocent route. If you do not buy the label through PayPal or eBay and choose to do it yourself and bring it to the post office OR buy it on the USPS site itself, (Which is kinda foolish given that you get a discount from eBay and PayPal), AND the package goes missing, even if you think you did the right thing eBay can assume that you made a mistake and perhaps you wrote 110 Main Street instead of 101 Main Street.  Perhaps you wrote or entered Apartment 2b instead of 4b.  No one knows what happened because you did not print the label out from them.

If you don't follow the rules of seller protection then do not be confused when something goes south and you did your own thing and you are not longer protected as a seller. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Because the USPS tracking number is not as tied to eBay as some would believe.   If you take a look at a USPS tracking number it appears to track the parcel as it moves through each zip code but not the actual address.   eBay is also aware of some scams that could very easily exist without printing the correct label from them.

Remember, the address that the buyer enters is the address that is automatically submitted when a label is generated.  I know from first hand knowledge that eBay can detect when you buy the label through them and also if something is changed in the buyer's address.  For example, so long as you leave the buyer's self submitted address when you go to generate a label you will see a little message in your seller screen that says, "eligible for seller protection."  If you want to verify what I am talking about add a character, something innocuous like a period, or erase a period if one was submitted.  Maybe add a dash or capitalize a letter that should be capitalized that was not.  If you manipulate the address in any way shape or form you will see that little message in your seller screen change to, "May NOT be eligible for seller protection." or something like that. 

There are many reasons that eBay safeguards their labels and encourages sellers to generate labels through them or PayPal. 

1 - Let's say that a buyer submits an order and lives in New Jersey.   It just so happens that I have relatives that live in the same town in New Jersey.  I change the street address and send my item to my relative instead of the buyer.  Now, if eBay did not distinguish between what is protected and what is not, I could say, look it landed in the correct zip code therefore the buyer got his item when in reality he did not.  This is a great way to scam the system.   Now before you say that is a slim possibility, let's make sure we understand that in real life, I live in the same zip code as three other board members, two of which are very active on these boards.   I also work in the same zip code as a fourth board member.  It's a smaller world than some think. 

2 - Let's go the innocent route. If you do not buy the label through PayPal or eBay and choose to do it yourself and bring it to the post office OR buy it on the USPS site itself, (Which is kinda foolish given that you get a discount from eBay and PayPal), AND the package goes missing, even if you think you did the right thing eBay can assume that you made a mistake and perhaps you wrote 110 Main Street instead of 101 Main Street.  Perhaps you wrote or entered Apartment 2b instead of 4b.  No one knows what happened because you did not print the label out from them.

If you don't follow the rules of seller protection then do not be confused when something goes south and you did your own thing and you are not longer protected as a seller. 

Ok that is an experience tip that I'm appreciative for ^^

My following question is how do you manage the shipping label to boxes and weight when you arrive at the post office?

Obviously I'm a noob for such a question, but hadn't figured it out and why I manually did it lol

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

My following question is how do you manage the shipping label to boxes and weight when you arrive at the post office?

Obviously I'm a noob for such a question, but hadn't figured it out and why I manually did it lol

If you mean figure out the weight, I bought a postal scale for $20 at Staples a few years ago that measures up to 11 lbs.   With the discount given by eBay and PayPal to generate labels through them it has paid for itself MANY MANY MANY times over. 

I just use regular clear packing tape and tape over the label to the box.  I tape it down in even stripes.  I have never had an issue with anything being scanned. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

We have something slightly different here because our postal service is so bloody primitive!

International tracking has to be manually filled out on forms - I always demand a stamped by PO copy to prove I sent to the correct address.

Or - a pre-paid domestic cardboard envelope which again, has the ability to have the address written by me and stamped by the PO.

If we used the labels from ebay here, they would not be capable of fitting in the forms!

Ebay needs to become universal. What can be tracked in some countries, stop when it reaches a certain country - ie Serbia (from Australia) so I block all Serbian buyers.

An item that can be listed in France, can't be here (some Vintage Adult books), due to ebay Australia being based in the Phillipines, and they have a very different moral compass that the French apparently.

A world-wide, standard system would sort out 99% of the problems - but ebay have either not the power, or inclination to do so.

The rot set in when Sellers were prevented from leaving negative feedback to buyers.

The scammers have thrived since then to the situation where I now send everything $10 and over tracked domestically. Neg feedback stopped most of them pretty quickly.

Ebay really needs to sort itself out.

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

If you mean figure out the weight, I bought a postal scale for $20 at Staples a few years ago that measures up to 11 lbs.   With the discount given by eBay and PayPal to generate labels through them it has paid for itself MANY MANY MANY times over. 

I just use regular clear packing tape and tape over the label to the box.  I tape it down in even stripes.  I have never had an issue with anything being scanned. 

Cool, because I'm new to mailing stuff too lol along with selling on ebay

I've printed out the shipping label before and adhered it to a box, but when I got to the post office, they wanted it transferred to a priority large mailer box...

Luckily the contents fit and it worked out... just something I didn't have experience with... :foryou:

Thanks for the feedback :)

5 minutes ago, Beige said:

We have something slightly different here because our postal service is so bloody primitive!

International tracking has to be manually filled out on forms - I always demand a stamped by PO copy to prove I sent to the correct address.

Or - a pre-paid domestic cardboard envelope which again, has the ability to have the address written by me and stamped by the PO.

If we used the labels from ebay here, they would not be capable of fitting in the forms!

Ebay needs to become universal. What can be tracked in some countries, stop when it reaches a certain country - ie Serbia (from Australia) so I block all Serbian buyers.

An item that can be listed in France, can't be here (some Vintage Adult books), due to ebay Australia being based in the Phillipines, and they have a very different moral compass that the French apparently.

A world-wide, standard system would sort out 99% of the problems - but ebay have either not the power, or inclination to do so.

The rot set in when Sellers were prevented from leaving negative feedback to buyers.

The scammers have thrived since then to the situation where I now send everything $10 and over tracked domestically. Neg feedback stopped most of them pretty quickly.

Ebay really needs to sort itself out.

That's another reason I only use the Global Shipping Program.   My responsibility is to get it to the eBay distribution center in Kentucky.  Once it goes to another nation eBay takes the package from there.   eBay also does not allow certain countries to participate in the GSP where they feel that the postal system is a liability or detrimental to the process. I forget where to find that list but it is there embedded in the terms.  Basically, if you want to ship something to a country that is not on their pre-approved list then you cannot enroll in the GSP.  

14 hours ago, Buzzetta said:
14 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The scale definitely pays for itself. Additionally, if you can find one of these (Dymo LabelWriter 4XL) at a really good price, get it. You'll save a ton on ink, tape and time. Only downside is that you can't print international labels from it.

16 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

The scale definitely pays for itself. Additionally, if you can find one of these (Dymo LabelWriter 4XL) at a really good price, get it. You'll save a ton on ink, tape and time. Only downside is that you can't print international labels from it.

I have been using the regular printer and opening the labels as PDF files and printing as a draft copy.  That also saves a ton on ink. 

Just now, Buzzetta said:

I have been using the regular printer and opening the labels as PDF files and printing as a draft copy.  That also saves a ton on ink. 

That's what I used to do and it definitely helps. The label writers don't use any ink at all, so your only expense is the upfront cost and labels, which you can find pretty cheap.

5 minutes ago, BishopT said:

Good news! I was reimbursed my costs by PayPal under Seller Proection. 

Nice to hear... this is why it is worth it to make that phone call or stay on top of it.

On 7/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Cool, because I'm new to mailing stuff too lol along with selling on ebay

I've printed out the shipping label before and adhered it to a box, but when I got to the post office, they wanted it transferred to a priority large mailer box...

Luckily the contents fit and it worked out... just something I didn't have experience with... :foryou:

Thanks for the feedback :)

My post office is not very customer friendly when it comes to people printing their own labels. My method is to package and apply my own printed labels (taped on like Buzz does). Priority mail does not have to be put into a priority mail box -- and you can order a roll of labels that announce this is Priority Mail through the USPS website (free) to adhere to whatever package you are using. depending on the size of the box/package-- I use enough of them to make it obvious that this mail item needs special attention. Once you have the package completely ready to go-- DO NOT WAIT IN ANY LINE AT THE POST OFFICE-- either place it in their large package bin OR most of them have some counter space where you simply leave the package. My post office acts all pissy if I wait in line -- and scrutinizes the package to no end -- as if you printing your own labels is some sort of personal affront to them. You have a receipt for your ebay purchased labels-- and the post office workers are correct that me expecting them to print me off some received receipt is a waste of their time and not why they allow us to print them in the first place. Also-- when the line is twenty people deep and you walk right by them, place your packages on the counter, and walk out-- the look on their faces is priceless the first few times.

The main reason to have your own scale is to be able to accurately weigh an item you are sending and apply the proper postage via the ebay shipping system. Side note-- there is a little bit of fudge factor allowed-- something like .15 ounce over that that does not impact their threshold. But I have seen some people send me stuff using 8 ounces as the shipping weight and the thing weighed at least 11 or 12 ounces-- still got there and no postage due. I would not recommend pushing your luck there though.

Having your own scale also helps when you are setting up the item for sale- things that are not your normal simple comic book shipping especially. My scale is not as robust as Buzzettas scale (11 lbs)-- but it handles anything under three pounds. I have other methods for larger items than that. My scale was fairly cheap-- I bought it on ebay for 11 bucks back in 2014 (model: Dymo P3 digital scale (3lbs)). Such a time saver and makes life so much easier.

As far as Priority Mail boxes are concerned-- most experienced ebay sellers have an inventory of the free shipping items provided by the USPS. You order them through their website and they are delivered directly to you. They are free and I have every intention of using them to ship through the USPS-- totally legal to have a nice stockpile of the boxes, padded envelopes, etc you use the most. The whole point of this is to save you time. When I was selling a lot more on ebay, I always made sure to restock well ahead of the busy times like Christmas. 

Edited by 01TheDude

1 hour ago, 01TheDude said:

My post office is not very customer friendly when it comes to people printing their own labels. My method is to package and apply my own printed labels (taped on like Buzz does). Priority mail does not have to be put into a priority mail box -- and you can order a roll of labels that announce this is Priority Mail through the USPS website (free) to adhere to whatever package you are using. depending on the size of the box/package-- I use enough of them to make it obvious that this mail item needs special attention. Once you have the package completely ready to go-- DO NOT WAIT IN ANY LINE AT THE POST OFFICE-- either place it in their large package bin OR most of them have some counter space where you simply leave the package. My post office acts all pissy if I wait in line -- and scrutinizes the package to no end -- as if you printing your own labels is some sort of personal affront to them. You have a receipt for your ebay purchased labels-- and the post office workers are correct that me expecting them to print me off some received receipt is a waste of their time and not why they allow us to print them in the first place. Also-- when the line is twenty people deep and you walk right by them, place your packages on the counter, and walk out-- the look on their faces is priceless the first few times.

The main reason to have your own scale is to be able to accurately weigh an item you are sending and apply the proper postage via the ebay shipping system. Side note-- there is a little bit of fudge factor allowed-- something like .15 ounce over that that does not impact their threshold. But I have seen some people send me stuff using 8 ounces as the shipping weight and the thing weighed at least 11 or 12 ounces-- still got there and no postage due. I would not recommend pushing your luck there though.

Having your own scale also helps when you are setting up the item for sale- things that are not your normal simple comic book shipping especially. My scale is not as robust as Buzzettas scale (11 lbs)-- but it handles anything under three pounds. I have other methods for larger items than that. My scale was fairly cheap-- I bought it on ebay for 11 bucks back in 2014 (model: Dymo P3 digital scale (3lbs)). Such a time saver and makes life so much easier.

As far as Priority Mail boxes are concerned-- most experienced ebay sellers have an inventory of the free shipping items provided by the USPS. You order them through their website and they are delivered directly to you. They are free and I have every intention of using them to ship through the USPS-- totally legal to have a nice stockpile of the boxes, padded envelopes, etc you use the most. The whole point of this is to save you time. When I was selling a lot more on ebay, I always made sure to restock well ahead of the busy times like Christmas. 

As Buzzetta says, weigh and print the labels at home on draft setting on regular paper using Feebay-generated labels.

Unless I drop the package into the big package bin at the post office, I go to the USPS outlet at the convenience store 3 blocks from my house (no lines ever). 

But to the dude's point, I ALWAYS have them scan it in in my presence and get a receipt. That way my responsibility is done and I have proof the USPS has now taken physical possession of the package. 

Otherwise, me simply printing a label is no evidence the package actually got to the post office. 

And for big  $$ items, I always go to the USPS office itself (about 3 miles away) and will wait in line for the reciept. Just because one less set of hands and transfers that way.

4 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

My post office is not very customer friendly when it comes to people printing their own labels.

@01TheDude, all sound advice.  I wanted to point out that for everyone else, YMMV.  My post office is great!  Then again, I go there enough where the workers all know me and we're on friendly terms.

1 hour ago, jcjames said:

Once you have the package completely ready to go-- DO NOT WAIT IN ANY LINE AT THE POST OFFICE-- either place it in their large package bin OR most of them have some counter space where you simply leave the package.

Not all Post Offices have an area to place their boxes.  During the holiday season, mine usually has a rack or bin sitting out to collect the prepaid boxes.  However, most of the time this is not the case.

Regardless, I always go up to the counter and get my boxes scanned in.  I don't need a receipt necessarily, but I NEED that scan, especially if I'm selling on eBay.  The policy on eBay these days is that all packages MUST be scanned in within the stated handling time (this is in addition to having the tracking number uploaded).  This affects not only the criteria for Top Rated and Power Seller status, but they also hint that it can affect any open cases and your qualification for their Seller Protection money back guarantee.  In any case, as long as I get my packages scanned in at the counter, I know they are put into the USPS system, and therefore I meet the requirement set by the very strict eBay rules.

6 hours ago, masterlogan2000 said:

@01TheDude, all sound advice.  I wanted to point out that for everyone else, YMMV.  My post office is great!  Then again, I go there enough where the workers all know me and we're on friendly terms.

Not all Post Offices have an area to place their boxes.  During the holiday season, mine usually has a rack or bin sitting out to collect the prepaid boxes.  However, most of the time this is not the case.

Regardless, I always go up to the counter and get my boxes scanned in.  I don't need a receipt necessarily, but I NEED that scan, especially if I'm selling on eBay.  The policy on eBay these days is that all packages MUST be scanned in within the stated handling time (this is in addition to having the tracking number uploaded).  This affects not only the criteria for Top Rated and Power Seller status, but they also hint that it can affect any open cases and your qualification for their Seller Protection money back guarantee.  In any case, as long as I get my packages scanned in at the counter, I know they are put into the USPS system, and therefore I meet the requirement set by the very strict eBay rules.

Do what works for you-- I am just saying that in all the times I have sent something, be it left at the counter for a package or put into the outside drive thru bin-- I have never not had a package scanned by the USPS. I refuse to stand in that line and have to deal with some pretty surly people who work at my PO. It feels like they go out of their way to be individual_without_enough_empathys to me -- and not just one particular person either-- maybe that is just how they were trained in a sort of "be suspicious of everyone" sort of way. It isn't like I live in a bad part of town either (JCJames knows-- Ahwatukee). Honestly-=- most of the stuff I send is low value, rarely over 30 bucks. The handful of times I sold something more expensive like hundreds of dollars-- it was sent in priority mail that includes proper (mostly free) insurance.

Bottom line-- at my post office, I was instructed by USPS employees to stop standing in line for them to scan my items. I found that off putting as well -- because at the time I cared to get the scan done with proof myself. But considering what jerks they were about it literally every single time I tried it-- I just gave up and put the stuff on the counter and walk out. It gets scanned eventually that day which I can see on tracker. Good enough for me. At worse-- what am I out? An item that might cost 20 bucks, and returning the payment to the buyer (I can get the postage cost back for sure- just as I have when I needed to print out a label for some reason and cancel the original). In other words-- I do not sweat the small stuff.

Another factor might be that I don't wait to package/send stuff - get it out either same day or the next day. I used to care about the seller stuff when I was selling a great deal of things each month but I have stopped being that active on ebay for over a year and those things take more volume/sales than what I care to deal with currently.

Edited by 01TheDude