• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

closed

175 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Phil Boyle said:

We have some shortage replacements coming in on WD and those will go to regulars who missed out for one reason or another. At 3.99.

So....if he had it on order via previews well ahead of time and was still shorted the book....was it do to one reason......or was it due to another?

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

So....if he had it on order via previews well ahead of time and was still shorted the book....was it do to one reason......or was it due to another?

I've never had a pull list but honestly how does this happen?  The LCS gets the same number of copies every month, right?  And they fill the pull list customers first.  So how does magically they run out when a book comes out of the gate hot?

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I've never had a pull list but honestly how does this happen?  The LCS gets the same number of copies every month, right?  And they fill the pull list customers first.  So how does magically they run out when a book comes out of the gate hot?

Agreed.  And I'm assuming with this book that there was no chance of an unforeseen publisher print shortage.  I'm still puzzled as to how this happened and would love to hear the detailed facts.  It's not like in the mid 1980s when I "reserved" Elflord, what was I thinking???, or TMNT and their print runs were only a few thousand which would make thing understandable.

9 minutes ago, FSF said:
15 minutes ago, kav said:

Agreed.  And I'm assuming with this book that there was no chance of an unforeseen publisher print shortage.  I'm still puzzled as to how this happened and would love to hear the detailed facts.  It's not like in the mid 1980s when I "reserved" Elflord, what was I thinking???, or TMNT and their print runs were only a few thousand which would make thing understandable.

@Phil Boyle

16 minutes ago, FSF said:

Yep.   I always assumed it works like this....

LCS has to order their books a few months in advance.   They offer a pull service.   Say there are 20 customers that have Amazing Super-Guy on their pull (15 guys have requested 1 copy of each issue per month and the other 5 are 2 copy guys).   The store knows they have to order 25 copies to fill their pull.   

Depending on how popular the title is, they order some additional shelf copies each month.  Let's say in our example, they always order 10 shelf copies.

So, each month the store should be ordering 35 total copies (25 for pulls, 10 for shelf).   The pull customers should never be shorted their copy/copies (barring the distributor really screwing something up).   Seems a bit convenient that a distributor issue happened on this particular book for many people.  

Edited by chrisco37
"math is hard" - Barbie

16 minutes ago, FSF said:

It's been a LOOOOOONG time since I was involved in comic ordering, but if there was a ramp-up in orders before the FOC, couldn't the books have been allocated? Meaning that stores wouldn't necessarily get all they ordered? Not defending anyone here, just wondering if that is possible.

20 hours ago, Phil Boyle said:

Tracee,

Coliseum has been around for 37 years and thank you for being a customer for the past 7 of those.

As I told you in an e-mail, we can fix problems when they arise. We have some shortage replacements coming in on WD and those will go to regulars who missed out for one reason or another. At 3.99.

Every store has a known difficult customer. We still smile and do our best to make such folks happy. Sometimes it's a lost cause despite our efforts.

I'm sorry we disappointed you and I hope you find a store that can service your collecting needs in the future.

Be well,,

Phil Boyle
Coliseum of Comics

Why was there a shortage in the 1st place?  (shrug)

5 minutes ago, F For Fake said:
22 minutes ago, FSF said:

It's been a LOOOOOONG time since I was involved in comic ordering, but if there was a ramp-up in orders before the FOC, couldn't the books have been allocated? Meaning that stores wouldn't necessarily get all they ordered? Not defending anyone here, just wondering if that is possible.

That could be possible. However, if that was the case, no copies should have hit the shelves at a markup. The only copies the store received should have been allocated between subscription boxes. @Phil Boyle at Coliseum of Comics, I hope that is how it was handled. 

20 hours ago, Phil Boyle said:

Tracee,

Coliseum has been around for 37 years and thank you for being a customer for the past 7 of those.

As I told you in an e-mail, we can fix problems when they arise. We have some shortage replacements coming in on WD and those will go to regulars who missed out for one reason or another. At 3.99.

Every store has a known difficult customer. We still smile and do our best to make such folks happy. Sometimes it's a lost cause despite our efforts.

I'm sorry we disappointed you and I hope you find a store that can service your collecting needs in the future.

Be well,,

Phil Boyle
Coliseum of Comics

I was going to ask if the store offered to make good on the situation, given your long patronage.

This post answered my question and wins my nomination for Post of the Month.

Shortages happen every week. Diamond distributors puts hundreds of thousands of books in boxes and every week there are inevitably shortages and damages. When that happens, Diamond is diligent in getting replacements out.
Coliseum ordered extras on this book as Image was offering returnability. So we ordered up and sold every copy that each store received at cover price. We limited them one per person off the stands in the 7 stores that did not get shorted. The shorted store has since received the replacements and yes, they went out at cover price after filling the shortages. That's how we've always done these things.
The above ordering equations above are not quite as black and white when ordering new comics. 20 people order a book but the week after orders are finalized, Marvel announces the first appearance of Wolverine's daughter and we get 3 times the requests overnight than we have coming. No reorders available so 2/3 of people are disappointed. This happens far too often (every other week?) and the speculators just wanting to flip them on eBay eat up all the copies. Demand changes drastically between issues so 20 is sometimes too many on #4 but 50 on #5 can leave us short.

37 minutes ago, FSF said:

Gonna assume that the author of this post (and many like it on this forum) doesn't follow TWD comic.  Kirkman pulled a surprise ending of the title, going so far as to issue fake solicits for issues 194 and 195.  I'm going to guess that MANY stores who order a near-constant number of this title from month to month were caught off-guard, when this issue LITERALLY became an instant collectors' item last week.

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

I was going to ask if the store offered to make good on the situation, given your long patronage.

This post answered my question and wins my nomination for Post of the Month.

store didn't offer to make good even after I sent the owner a nasty gram. The countless workers at their stores are clueless and this just tipped the scale. They fabricated lies on top of everything!

Just now, RonS2112 said:

Gonna assume that the author of this post (and many like it on this forum) doesn't follow TWD comic.  Kirkman pulled a surprise ending of the title, going so far as to issue fake solicits for issues 194 and 195.  I'm going to guess that MANY stores who order a near-constant number of this title from month to month were caught off-guard, when this issue LITERALLY became an instant collectors' item last week.

nope, following walking dead, had it on previews order and subscribed to it (double upped). I had issues up through 200 on order, figured they were going to make a big deal out of another milestone issue.

2 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Collectors' item or not, pull lists should ALWAYS be filled first. 

4 minutes ago, 1p36DSA said:

nope, following walking dead, had it on previews order and subscribed to it (double upped). I had issues up through 200 on order, figured they were going to make a big deal out of another milestone issue.

It appears reading comprehension maybe a contributor to your problem.  A) I wasn't talking to you and B) as I said in my post, there was NEVER going to be an "issue 200," but only Robert Kirkman knew that.  Ending the series at issue 193 was a surprise to everyone until last Wednesday morning.

Just now, RonS2112 said:

It appears reading comprehension maybe a contributor to your problem.  A) I wasn't talking to you and B) as I said in my post, there was NEVER going to be an "issue 200," but only Robert Kirkman knew that.  Ending the series at issue 193 was a surprise to everyone until last Wednesday morning.

Yep.