• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

closed

175 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

What point? That because you knew TWO WHOLE DAYS before some others that Kirkman was pulling a switcheroo, you are somehow more in the know than people who do this for a living?  There's a reason this story made national news -- and again, in this case Monday vs. Wednesday doesn't make a difference in the number of books they would have ordered.

Got it now?

tenor.gif?itemid=7842918

40 minutes ago, RonS2112 said:

Gonna assume that the author of this post (and many like it on this forum) doesn't follow TWD comic.  

That is all. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5362498

Kirkman gave his philosophical reasons for doing this, and it's his book and he can do want he wants.  But whenever publishers do this, it's the comic shops that take the heat.  There will always be confusion and mistakes with this kind of stunt.  And the anger is always aimed at the comic retailer... for some reason the publisher who decided to create a book with lots of interest and purposefully made sure many of those interested wouldn't be able to obtain a copy... for some reason they get off without any criticism.

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I guess it really depends on how hard you are trying to find it.

(worship)

11 minutes ago, Bookery said:

Kirkman gave his philosophical reasons for doing this, and it's his book and he can do want he wants.  But whenever publishers do this, it's the comic shops that take the heat.  There will always be confusion and mistakes with this kind of stunt.  And the anger is always aimed at the comic retailer... for some reason the publisher who decided to create a book with lots of interest and purposefully made sure many of those interested wouldn't be able to obtain a copy... for some reason they get off without any criticism.

It's difficult to see a winner with this decision, other than short-term flippers who will make a killing on copies they are able to gobble up. Stores are stuck in the crosshairs, enduring wrath of dissatisfied customers, and potential lost profit if they'd been able to order the book fully armed with the knowledge. I guess Kirkman wins in the sense that his trolling was successful, so he gets a chuckle out of it? But I'm sure every shop could have used the sales bump that would have accompanied a properly solicited book, and more copies would have gotten into readers' hands. I don't collect WD any more, and I haven't bought any to sell or flip, so I don't have a dog in the race. But it definitely feels like this was a missed opportunity for all involved. Instead, shops are going to lose a dependable monthly Top 10 seller on top of the insult of not being able to capitalize on the ending. Not saying that Kirkman owes it to the LCS's to keep writing and publishing if he doesn't want to, but it might have been nice to give a heads up to the people who helped build this thing into what it is today.

Just now, F For Fake said:
15 minutes ago, Bookery said:

It's difficult to see a winner with this decision, other than short-term flippers who will make a killing on copies they are able to gobble up. Stores are stuck in the crosshairs, enduring wrath of dissatisfied customers, and potential lost profit if they'd been able to order the book fully armed with the knowledge. I guess Kirkman wins in the sense that his trolling was successful, so he gets a chuckle out of it? But I'm sure every shop could have used the sales bump that would have accompanied a properly solicited book, and more copies would have gotten into readers' hands. I don't collect WD any more, and I haven't bought any to sell or flip, so I don't have a dog in the race. But it definitely feels like this was a missed opportunity for all involved. Instead, shops are going to lose a dependable monthly Top 10 seller on top of the insult of not being able to capitalize on the ending. Not saying that Kirkman owes it to the LCS's to keep writing and publishing if he doesn't want to, but it might have been nice to give a heads up to the people who helped build this thing into what it is today.

If these boards have taught me anything, it is that you can't go wrong with blaming speculators or Eric Stephenson.

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

If these boards have taught me anything, it is that you can't go wrong with blaming speculators or Eric Stephenson.

(worship)

3 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

I don't see how F For Fake blamed speculators.  He simply pointed out they were the only winners (actually, he mentioned short-term flippers, which isn't quite the same as speculators anyway).  But pointing out that someone came out a winner in a situation is a long way from blaming them for something.

2 minutes ago, Bookery said:

I don't see how F For Fake blamed speculators.  He simply pointed out they were the only winners (actually, he mentioned short-term flippers, which isn't quite the same as speculators anyway).  But pointing out that someone came out a winner in a situation is a long way from blaming them for something.

Thanks! Yes, not blaming speculators. Make hay while the sun is shining! I have flipped more than my share of books. I'm just saying that this could have been a big opportunity for shops AND readers, and instead the only people I see making any money off of it are the flippers. There could have been a lot of money to go around, and a lot of happy buyers as well.

Just now, Bookery said:

Oh, I'm not saying he did. Far from it. He was stating that it's a terrible situation for retailers, and I agree. 

I was simply offering a tongue-in-cheek take on the situation that may uncover a speck of truth lodged in the corner of the industry's mouth.

32 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Karma...it will come back around and bite you.

Ouch