• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Comics part time, and full time?

64 posts in this topic

Just now, TwoPiece said:

And people keep asking me when I'm gonna get a serious girlfriend, or get married, or why I choose to be single...

My friends say the same thing. 😂

Just now, jfree580 said:

My friends say the same thing. 😂

Phase 1: Break up with girlfriend.

Phase 2: Do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want, with whoever you want, for any reason.

Phase 3: Buy comics, all the time, anywhere, with/out anyone, to have a good time.

Phase 4: ?

Phase 5: Eventually - death.

2 hours ago, jfree580 said:

1) Do you do the prescreening to help verify what grades you will get?

2) Do you buy multiples of the same raw to make sure you get at least one 9.8 for example? 

3) Any tips on where to look for raws other than eBay and other than LCS? (I live in the Marietta, GA area - close to Atlanta, and I’m not sure of any really good LCS most are way overpriced)

4) Do you stay away from restored comics, or do you just go with it and adjust the price for the resto?

5) Do you only try and flip what is hot before they crash, or what might turn hot? Like Naomi 1 or Rai 0? Or do you stay with keys, already well known comics, or all?

6) As far as estate sales and garage sales go, I see everyone thinks they are a re-seller now, and want top dollar even for drek or no-name comics. I haven’t found a single one with comics since over a year ago when my fiancé had me purchase those long boxes. Are you all still attempting to go to these to find deals?

7) Any tips on places other than eBay?

8) Do you sell raws and slabs, or just slabs?

1 - yes and no. depends on the comic and what I'm paying. usually I buy the books first then prescreen to determine if i should sell raw or get graded

2 - it doesn't matter to me to get a 9.8. I'm not buying books to get a 9.8 and if I have to get a 9.8 then I'm paying too much or it's not worth it me - better books to buy

3 - if you aren't sure where to look, I cannot help you. Plenty of examples here on where to find books. Your next question is going to be what books to buy. Again why should I or anyone else help - not trying to be mean but why should I give out all my years/knowledge and expertise for free. Do research. Look on these boards. Pay attention to the market. I would tell you to steer away from modern books. Yes there is a chance to make money but because of your situation (not a lot of room for error) I would stay away

4 - it depends on the book and the price, but in your situation I'd stay away

5 - I buy what I can buy and make money, hot or not, keys or not. Determine your lane and stay within it

6 - sometimes it's a hit or miss. my area is a lot more competitive than maybe a year ago. I still have some places or luck out at sales. Much of anyone's success is determined by how persistent you are. You keep going, you will find something. 

7 - I don't know your area so I can't tell where to look locally. Outside of your area I will not share other places I look for books. I don't need anymore competition.

8 - everything I can make a profit on

The biggest lesson I can give you is don't fall in love with your product. Don't buy things that you like. Buy books that sell.

Again I hope you don't take my answers as being mean but I am trying to be honest and make you aware of some realities that you are going to come across. If you were my friend I'd tell you to stay away from doing this. I'll use myself as an example. I see a lot of people buying vinyl records at garage sales. I think for sure there is money to be made. I see plenty of people going through boxes buying records left and right. That's money just staring at me. However I know zero about records. I have zero passion for it. I know if I try and look into it I will probably fail. It's not my area of expertise. Not worth it too me. Just because someone else is making money doing it doesn't mean I need to get in on that. 

3 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

But we all have to start somewhere building that trust and understanding, no?  Even if its initially from a confrontational position.

sure, but best to start without confrontation. Once you are at confrontation you have work to do just to get to even again. That is why I suggested buying dinner and such, it builds confidence. On the rare occasions I need serious money I explain it to my wife, she gets a face, and I say "you know that I know what I am doing though" and she says okay. I do not hide anything, she knows what is what but since it is my hobby money and that we do not need that money to survive it is all good.

10 minutes ago, Bird said:

My wife knows where mine is but respects it and leaves it alone, but in case I die suddenly she knows to go get it before disposing of my things!

hm

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

6 - sometimes it's a hit or miss. my area is a lot more competitive than maybe a year ago. I still have some places or luck out at sales. Much of anyone's success is determined by how persistent you are. You keep going, you will find something. 

I drove an hour each way the other day to look at 18000 comics. They were all dealer stock, cases of things like Brigade 1, 1963 issues and such. About 800 issues of Hellstorm 1. He wanted $4500. I offered $800 and then in the car thought about it and went to $1200. It was a total bust but without sticking to it and pursuing all leads you won't get anywhere. You must be persistent.

I would also try and figure out a business plan. If this is just a part-time job, it's a lot easier. But here are things to think about:

1) What types of comics do you like and want to sell? Like modern variants? Then sell modern variants.

2) Figure out where you're going to sell. Is it eBay, Facebook, Instagram, conventions, flea markets...

3) Start asking questions from other dealers. Some will be cagey -- but others will tell you how the find books. 

4) Do you have the capital available to float books going to CGC? Remember, if you buy a book raw for $200 and you send that to get graded, you don't have that money to play around with. You buy five $200 books, that's a lot of money going to grading, shipping, cost of books, etc.

5) Learn how to grade. I'm not sure anyone can guarantee a 9.8 vs a 9.6, but you had better know the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.5. 

6) Don't rip people off. If there's a small pile of books that are worth $200, don't offer $20. Your reputation follows you. 

7) Learn that the vast majority of comics published in the past 30 years sell for around 50 cents each. I bought a long box of miscellaneous Batman comics yesterday and I pulled about 5 comics out of it that I won't put in my 50-cent bin. 

3 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

hm

When the cleaning woman is coming wifey will sometimes forget to go to the bank and ask me if I have a hundred bucks to pay for the cleaning. I tell her no and she looks at me for a long time with disappointment on her face, Then she goes to the bank in the morning. Occasionally I give it to her and then I go to the bank in the morning to replenish.

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

1 - yes and no. depends on the comic and what I'm paying. usually I buy the books first then prescreen to determine if i should sell raw or get graded

2 - it doesn't matter to me to get a 9.8. I'm not buying books to get a 9.8 and if I have to get a 9.8 then I'm paying too much or it's not worth it me - better books to buy

3 - if you aren't sure where to look, I cannot help you. Plenty of examples here on where to find books. Your next question is going to be what books to buy. Again why should I or anyone else help - not trying to be mean but why should I give out all my years/knowledge and expertise for free. Do research. Look on these boards. Pay attention to the market. I would tell you to steer away from modern books. Yes there is a chance to make money but because of your situation (not a lot of room for error) I would stay away

4 - it depends on the book and the price, but in your situation I'd stay away

5 - I buy what I can buy and make money, hot or not, keys or not. Determine your lane and stay within it

7 - I don't know your area so I can't tell where to look locally. Outside of your area I will not share other places I look for books. I don't need anymore competition.

8 - everything I can make a profit on

The biggest lesson I can give you is don't fall in love with your product. Don't buy things that you like. Buy books that sell.

Again I hope you don't take my answers as being mean but I am trying to be honest and make you aware of some realities that you are going to come across. If you were my friend I'd tell you to stay away from doing this. I'll use myself as an example. I see a lot of people buying vinyl records at garage sales. I think for sure there is money to be made. I see plenty of people going through boxes buying records left and right. That's money just staring at me. However I know zero about records. I have zero passion for it. I know if I try and look into it I will probably fail. It's not my area of expertise. Not worth it too me. Just because someone else is making money doing it doesn't mean I need to get in on that. 

I don’t take it as mean at all. I know I have a lot more knowledge to gain, dealers to locate, contacts to make.

I asked some of my questions wrong, I see how that would be giving me your contacts, which you are right, you were many years to get. I do appreciate your response. Thank you for hitting each point as well.

3 minutes ago, Bird said:

When the cleaning woman is coming wifey will sometimes forget to go to the bank and ask me if I have a hundred bucks to pay for the cleaning. I tell her no and she looks at me for a long time with disappointment on her face, Then she goes to the bank in the morning. Occasionally I give it to her and then I go to the bank in the morning to replenish.

I think, just to be safe, you should tell me where this pile of money is. And also, I think you should invite me over to dinner some time.

How does after Hasbrouck Heights sound? 

12 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Phase 1: Break up with girlfriend.

Phase 2: Do whatever you want, whenever you want, wherever you want, with whoever you want, for any reason.

Phase 3: Buy comics, all the time, anywhere, with/out anyone, to have a good time.

Phase 4: ?

Phase 5: Eventually - death.

Or just find someone who doesn't care what you do with your money. 

My wife has never said a single thing about a single comic purchase I have ever made...and some of those purchases have been pretty substantial. 

I met another flipper/speculator at a comic store. We got to talking on facebook and a few times when we were both at the store tipped each other off to good buys (like he let me get a 50 cent Ultimate Taskmaster or whatever that was since I said I was looking for it but he saw it first and I passed along a ASM100 from my pile to his as I knew he wanted one...don't worry it was low grade!). I was looking at a collection, another bust, and before seeing it asked him if he wanted to maybe split it. He said maybe but that he would go with me to look it over as a second set of eyes. This was a bit naive as he could easily screw me but we seem to be working on joint karma. I now find him to be a great resource, another collector you can trust to help decide what is a good deal or not. I don't share everything obviously but when in doubt ask his opinion. 

Edited by Bird

Just now, october said:

Or just find someone who doesn't care what you do with your money. 

My wife has never said a single thing about a single comic purchase I have ever made...and some of those purchases have been pretty substantial. 

Hookers care about money, too.

I personally don't have any desire to sell comics but every time I read these types of threads, for comics or coins or whatever, it seems like the answer is that it's a grind and a lot of work, for what most people in society would not consider that much money.  I'm sure there are exceptions for those who do it very well or are luckier than most. 

2 hours ago, jfree580 said:

Do you have contacts or friends that help you go out and search for the “deal of a lifetime”?

I stopped believing in find a deal of a lifetime about year one into this (I'm not in year 6). If it happens it happens. 

5 minutes ago, FSF said:

I personally don't have any desire to sell comics but every time I read these types of threads, for comics or coins or whatever, it seems like the answer is that it's a grind and a lot of work, for what most people in society would not consider that much money.  I'm sure there are exceptions for those who do it very well or are luckier than most. 

It is, and before the OP deleted his intro, part of it was that he had only been collecting 1 1/2 years.  I can't imagine knowing much of anything in that short time period, but I suppose I am a slow learner, or don't really have :flipbait:in my eyes.

33 minutes ago, RCheli said:

I would also try and figure out a business plan. If this is just a part-time job, it's a lot easier. But here are things to think about:

1) What types of comics do you like and want to sell? Like modern variants? Then sell modern variants.

2) Figure out where you're going to sell. Is it eBay, Facebook, Instagram, conventions, flea markets...

3) Start asking questions from other dealers. Some will be cagey -- but others will tell you how the find books. 

4) Do you have the capital available to float books going to CGC? Remember, if you buy a book raw for $200 and you send that to get graded, you don't have that money to play around with. You buy five $200 books, that's a lot of money going to grading, shipping, cost of books, etc.

5) Learn how to grade. I'm not sure anyone can guarantee a 9.8 vs a 9.6, but you had better know the difference between a 3.0 and a 4.5. 

6) Don't rip people off. If there's a small pile of books that are worth $200, don't offer $20. Your reputation follows you. 

7) Learn that the vast majority of comics published in the past 30 years sell for around 50 cents each. I bought a long box of miscellaneous Batman comics yesterday and I pulled about 5 comics out of it that I won't put in my 50-cent bin. 

lot of solid advice here