• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling Comics part time, and full time?

64 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, kav said:

Basically we're like roving silver surfers looking for planets for @Buzzetta to consume-

He's a very picky eater tho

Other than, "Don't do it", I have nothing really to add here.   I figure I will give a real answer though. 

• I sell a few things here and there.
  • I sell things I no longer want or have grown tired with. 
  • I sell things to flip. I saw a highly undervalued book on ComicLink so I bought it and flipped it on eBay at 3x what I paid on ComicLink. 
  • I sell things I have put away for a bit knowing that it will increase in value in the short or long term. 

How do I know what to sell and what to look for?  Well, to each their own. You learn through trial and error and luck.  

However, my source of income is NOT dependent on selling things.   If your kid's braces are dependent on whether or not you can flip a few comic books then that to me, is HIGHLY irresponsible. Get a job, forget your "dreams" and be responsible.   My situation allows me to honestly say that if everything disappeared tomorrow I can still pay the bills based on income from my actual job.   

I don't know what the original poster wrote about his significant other.  If you are starting out and need to be responsible when it comes to finances with one another then this is not the thing for you to do.  Most relationships are broken up over financial issues. 

What does the term "dealer" even mean in today's world?  Obviously, there are full time dealers who sell comics, many who have done it forever.  However, with the advent of the internet in full force, it seems like any collector who strategically is on the lookout for good deals and flips them is doing basically the same thing on a smaller scale.  I personally have zero appetite for doing that even once but a lot of collectors seem to engage in that.  

So to the OP, yes buy any good deals you can and flip them if that's your thing.  But don't feel the need to call yourself a "dealer" per se and have to commit time running around in circles telling yourself you have to make things happen.  Just be on the lookout with your preferred sources such as ebay, new items at MCS, long boxes at Cons and whatever.  The more hours you spend on this, the less each hour will yield IMO.

Also, understand your primary motivation in doing this.  I mean, if it's money, you will be better off trying to get a PT job at In N Out or Costco which seem to pay $15-20 hour depending on where you're located. 

when i sell raw comics and slabs, i do it with the intention of just getting rid of books i no longer want in my collection and or think that it will make me some good pocket cash to buy my next fancy book or collectible. being a sheep and buying in bulk whatever CBSI,comicsheatingup or what johnny angelhair claims is the new "it" book might get one stuck with alot of worthless down the line. so DON"T DO IT ! lol take this hobby with a grain of salt and think before you do something drastic.

Edited by Gabagool