• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Comic Shop payment question.
3 3

25 posts in this topic

So, I’m trying to purchase a book on mycomicshop.com.  I get to the end of the checkout where I enter payment information and it says I can only use a credit card if the amount is under $500.  The book is several thousand.  This is a little frustrating to me.  I don’t have any checks to send a payment by mail and I’m not really into the idea of a money order or something of that nature.  

Would any higher-up at MCS that are on the boards be able to assist me?  

Thank you!

@mycomicshop

4 minutes ago, DocHoppus182 said:

So, I’m trying to purchase a book on mycomicshop.com.  I get to the end of the checkout where I enter payment information and it says I can only use a credit card if the amount is under $500.  The book is several thousand.  This is a little frustrating to me.  I don’t have any checks to send a payment by mail and I’m not really into the idea of a money order or something of that nature.  

Would any higher-up at MCS that are on the boards be able to assist me?  

Thank you!

1 minute ago, DocHoppus182 said:

@ADAMANTIUM Thanks buddy.  I should’ve known that.

you could try pm'ing too... since itls probably too late to call...

as i have to pay sales tax, i don't shop with them often enough, that'lll change october 1st when ebay charges it

It’s odd to me that I can’t use a card for a book that’s under 5k.  Is that usual for big vendors?  I’ve bought a couple books worth a few thousand each over the years with other big online dealers and have been able to use a CC just fine.

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

It’s odd to me that I can’t use a card for a book that’s under 5k.  Is that usual for big vendors?  I’ve bought a couple books worth a few thousand each over the years with other big online dealers and have been able to use a CC just fine.

I've never heard of this it seems weird.  MCS is not weird so that is also weird.

8 hours ago, mycomicshop said:

Am following up with OP via PM.

For everybody else reading along, we have temporary lower charge limits for newer customer accounts than for accounts with a longer established order history. Limits also vary if you're in the US or in another country, etc.

Does the process differ with debit cards?

Heritage is up to 2500 if I remember correctly, for purchases above that I've used ACH.  I know Hakes I won just under 1000$ before and they took credit card.  With MyComicShop I won just under 500 and the checkout allowed me to use credit card, I paid and they never notified me that they didn't take my credit card payment, I found out after a week of the transaction not going from pending on my card to captured and turned out that the transaction was supposedly too large for a first time customer and they never notified me.  That pretty much soured me from ever using MyComicShop personally.

2 hours ago, gotpong said:

With MyComicShop I won just under 500 and the checkout allowed me to use credit card, I paid and they never notified me that they didn't take my credit card payment, I found out after a week of the transaction not going from pending on my card to captured and turned out that the transaction was supposedly too large for a first time customer and they never notified me.  That pretty much soured me from ever using MyComicShop personally.

My guess would be that we did actually email you about requesting a different form of payment due to the size of the order, but that it wound up in a spam or promotional email folder where you never saw it. Regardless, I agree that's not an ideal way to handle your order. I'd prefer our limits to be higher so they are less likely to restrict new customers, and any payment requirements should be made clear while you're going through the checkout process. I'm working on improving all that.

13 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

you could try pm'ing too... since itls probably too late to call...

as i have to pay sales tax, i don't shop with them often enough, that'lll change october 1st when ebay charges it

I have a CA resale number. Will I be able to file it with eBay somehow? 

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I have a CA resale number. Will I be able to file it with eBay somehow? 

I believe so, they posted it in a thread that you supply documents to ebay, I believe you should call them....

The answer is YES, but I can't quote the details :eek: but... it was posted on the boards to a link to ebay with the details....

I just can't remember the thread or how to search it on ebay :sorry: but it was the last time that (I believe you) it was asked, if you remember that thread lol been a minute

I've gotta be honest... MyComicShop continues to impress.   Seriously.  

My LCS is closing it's doors this December / January unbeknownst to the customers.  I am seeking a new avenue to purchase my one modern comic book a month and MCS might be the store for me.  Hm... I should start a thread asking for advice on this matter. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I've gotta be honest... MyComicShop continues to impress.   Seriously.  

My LCS is closing it's doors this December / January unbeknownst to the customers.  I am seeking a new avenue to purchase my one modern comic book a month and MCS might be the store for me.  Hm... I should start a thread asking for advice on this matter. 

Just bought a book from them on the bay. Very fast and smooth transaction. My only complaint would be their lack of back cover scans. There was a lot of in noted damage on the back cover that I didn’t know about.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Just bought a book from them on the bay. Very fast and smooth transaction. My only complaint would be their lack of back cover scans. There was a lot of in noted damage on the back cover that I didn’t know about.

I suggest looking for the exact same copy on their website, and save a few bucks. All[?] their listings on eBay are higher than their MCS prices due to eBay's fees.

MCS rocks!