• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Spider-Man #667 Dell'Otto variant resurfaces
1 1

48 posts in this topic

I don't know about the seller's claims of a $20K sale as nothing seems to be recorded on GPA past $13.3K in Jan. 2019

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-667-Dell-Otto-1-100-variant-Cgc-9-6/293104447757?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Interesting that this variant is now more valuable than all bar the very first few issues of ASM (and #101 + 129 of course).  I don't know if that is impressive or just a sad reflection on the times.

Edited by World Devourer

11 hours ago, World Devourer said:

I don't know about the seller's claims of a $20K sale as nothing seems to be recorded on GPA past $13.3K in Jan. 2019

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-667-Dell-Otto-1-100-variant-Cgc-9-6/293104447757?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Interesting that this variant is now more valuable than all bar the very first few issues of ASM.  I don't know if that is impressive or just a sad reflection on the times.

The off record sales were Torpedo who had them and a con and supposedly sold them.

5 hours ago, MGH said:

Totally insane  ..   

IMO Much better books to get at that price point  but to each their own .   Some obviously really really want it . 

Agreed. The problem I have with expensive variants is that people can suddenly go off them and someone can be stuck with an overpriced albatross around their neck. I know the tried and true staples aren't sexy when compared to the modern picks, but they are steady sellers through bull and bear markets.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

Agreed. The problem I have with expensive variants is that people can suddenly go off them and someone can be stuck with an overpriced albatross around their neck. I know the tried and true staples aren't sexy when compared to the modern picks, but they are steady sellers through bull and bear markets.

They question is when do they become "tried and true"? This book has been hot for a long time now and keeps going up.

14 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

They question is when do they become "tried and true"? This book has been hot for a long time now and keeps going up.

Point taken. I think in this instance the rarity factor is key. I fully believe Jay's investigative analysis which concludes that the book was overlooked at the time due to large sales of the preceding issue. What the ceiling is would be anyone's guess (I'm thinking around 25K).

I'd still take another ASM #129, IH #181 over this.

Time will tell.

Edited by World Devourer

3 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Point taken. I think in this instance the rarity factor is key. I fully believe Jay's investigative analysis which concludes that the book was overlooked at the time due to large sales of the preceding issue. What the ceiling is would be anyone's guess (I'm thinking around 25K).

I'd still take another ASM #129, IH #182 over this.

Time will tell.

You're talking about perceived rarity. We will never know how many were made. But more to the point it's supply vs. demand. I can get a ASM 129 or Hulk 182 ???  any day of the week on eBay. ASM 667 variant was not regularly available in the past decade. The supply is / was not meeting the demand for a top artist and top character.

Edited by ygogolak

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You're talking about perceived rarity. We will never know how many were made. But more to the point it's supply vs. demand. I can get a ASM 129 or Hulk 181 any day of the week on eBay. ASM 667 variant was not regularly available in the past decade. The supply is / was not meeting the demand for a top artist and top character.

Yes...but not necessarily a ASM#129 or IH#181 in 9.8 with white pages. As I just said on the Cameo thread, it is indeed a matter of perception.

11 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Yes...but not necessarily a ASM#129 or IH#181 in 9.8 with white pages. As I just said on the Cameo thread, it is indeed a matter of perception.

If you can afford those books with disposable income for a hobby you are not worried about what the market is doing today or tomorrow.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

If you can afford those books with disposable income for a hobby you are not worried about what the market is doing today or tomorrow.

Well, I can (I have both in 9.8 W), but am interested rather than worried. One of my hobbies after all.

3 hours ago, World Devourer said:

I'd still take another ASM #129, IH #181 over this.

Time will tell.

Actually it was partly that, but more so the fact that the book was not offered for order until after the final order cut off for the month had passed (and later extended by only one week on this one book).  These, together with the fact that there was another heavily ordered, competing, non-qualifying variant for the same issue, resulted in the book being either overlooked or entirely ignored by dealers and one single case pack of around 225 copies being printed.  

-J.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

one single case pack of around 225 copies being printed. 

Are you saying this is a fact? Because it sure sounds like you are. hm (not that it impacts my opinion of the book whatsoever.)

6 hours ago, World Devourer said:

. I fully believe Jay's investigative analysis which concludes that the book was overlooked at the time due to large sales of the preceding issue.

Jay's investigative analysis is flawed, because it doesn't take into account that the "large sales of the preceding issue" was due to the store variant gimmick. When you take out the "500 copies per store mandatory ordering" for the store variant, the numbers for the issue (#666) are fairly typical (in this case, "fairly typical" meaning "average orders for the time, plus a bit of a bump for the start of the storyline, plus whatever extras of the regular book were ordered because of the store gimmick.")

Was the book overlooked? Of course. Was it printed to the tune of "a case or less"? Of course not. Where are "the rest"? Who knows? Marvel and Diamond do, and they aren't telling (and won't tell.)

The census has shown an average of about 5 copies added a year since 2011, which includes an additional 7 copies this year alone. The census does not indicate anything except broad trends, and should not be used to come to any decisive conclusions about anything other than how many times the issue (NOT how many copies!) have passed through CGC's hands.

Will more show up? Anything is possible, but yes, obviously more will show up. The price pressure is far, far too great for those who paid "nothing" for the book when it came out.