• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What TPB should I look at buying for ASM 1-100

21 posts in this topic

I know nothing about TPB or HC books but if I wanted to read the original ASM story line from 1-100 or further should I look for Marvel Master pieces or Omni bus (also what is a Omni bus). looking at the cheaper route but if its a few bucks more for something cooler or more collectable or would have a demand why not. 

5 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

I know nothing about TPB or HC books but if I wanted to read the original ASM story line from 1-100 or further should I look for Marvel Master pieces or Omni bus (also what is a Omni bus). looking at the cheaper route but if its a few bucks more for something cooler or more collectable or would have a demand why not. 

Marvel Masterworks. I think they have 11 volumes for Spider-Man, now.

Omnibuses usually have a TON of collected works, but they can be less than ideal to handle.

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Marvel Masterworks. I think they have 11 volumes for Spider-Man, now.

Omnibuses usually have a TON of collected works, but they can be less than ideal to handle.

Also, the problem with the omni's is that while volume 1 was just reprinted, it only runs through issue 38. Volumes 2 and 3 are currently out of print, and getting pricey. And while Marvel sometimes reprints these volumes (this is the 4th printing of volume 1, after all) there's no real rhyme or reason to when they reprint them, so you might buy volume 1 (only $50-$60 most places) but who knows how long you might have to wait for a reprint of 2 and 3? Or you could pony up and pay current FMV, which I think is around $150 each.

I'd recommend the softcover Epic collection trades, if they're still in print. They have the most recent remastering of the material. The old Masterworks are great books, but the OOP volumes can get pricey, and most of the early volumes were printed in the late 80's and early 90's. The Epics are all recent remasters and very sharp. And you can usually get them for around $25 or so. 

2 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

If you want the cheapest route to just read the stories get a subscription to Marvel Unlimited... I believe they have issues 1-800+ for 9.99/month

Also this, yes! This is how I read new marvel books. I collect hardcovers for the older stuff, as I love to own the physical books. But for reading new stuff I don't care about owning, MU is absolutely a gem.

3 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Also this, yes! This is how I read new marvel books. I collect hardcovers for the older stuff, as I love to own the physical books. But for reading new stuff I don't care about owning, MU is absolutely a gem.

yeah I kind of have the same sentiment I might try to grab a Masterworks for the earlier stuff and then do a subscription and read the current stuff there. 

Thanks all for the advice

Just now, Krishosein said:

yeah I kind of have the same sentiment I might try to grab a Masterworks for the earlier stuff and then do a subscription and read the current stuff there. 

Thanks all for the advice

Hard to go wrong with that plan! A lot of the early MMWs were printed in fairly large numbers, and can still be picked up at a fraction of cover price. The later volumes, when they relaunched at volume 28, can get expensive, as they didn't print many. In fact, several of the "variant" covers (the volumes printed with the marble look to match the earlier run) were only printed in the hundreds. However, as Marvel keeps remastering and rereleasing stuff, some folks will dump their MMW's and upgrade, so there are definitely bargains to be found. Good luck!

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

This is an Omni Bus:

night bus.jpe

17 minutes ago, NoMan said:

Omnibus kinda sucks. It's impossible to read unless you hire someone to hold it for you.

They truly can be a pain to read without damaging the spine, but man oh man, do they look nice on the shelf. Just a big horkin' BRICK of comics. The Omnis with sewn binding tend to be easier to read than their glued brethren.

Do a yearly subscription to Marvel Unlimited.  Save on bookshelf space.  Read whenever you want.  Stop buying future 10¢ moderns at day of release $4 prices. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Do a yearly subscription to Marvel Unlimited.  Save on bookshelf space.  Read whenever you want.  Stop buying future 10¢ moderns at day of release $4 prices. 

… but then I wouldn't be able to join the Modern section of the forum and debate about what modern will make me a millionaire :cry:

I read all the Ditko books via masterworks. 

I picked up the Omni Volume 2 a few years ago when it came out (I think it runs from 39 to almost 70 or so).  Still one of my favorite "buys" ever.  

The Masterworks are great, but I love that the Omni's include the letters.  They are super bulky though.

FYI about the Masterworks, there are a couple of different kinds - in addition to the newer "Epic" versions already mentioned by F for Fake.

The hardcover Masterworks (volume I to the far right in pic), and the softcover 'Barnes & Noble' editions (don't know official name) that printed at least 5 volumes (up to ASM #50) and include around 10 or 11-issue-run (or 9 issues + annual).  The 3 volumes pictured to the left are the soft-covered.   Original retail was $12.95 for these TPBs.   I think the hardcovers basically started at $30 and went up from there.  The point is you might be able to find the softcover TPB versions not priced with a scarcity premium like many of the Omnibus or Masterworks series.

IMG_1004.thumb.JPG.8258d736b32957fff1b259ca55acaedc.JPG

I have both the Spidey Masterworks and the Omnibuses. I like the Omnis personally and don't find them all that unwieldy, but, as was mentioned, 2 and 3 are out of print and go for maybe $150ish for #2 and $200+ for #3. The good thing with the Masterworks is that the first five ASM volumes (covering up to issue 50) were given limited edition reprints in the early 2000's (the edition size of these reprints is printed on the back cover in the text near the bottom and the comic pictured on the front is usually different from the original release of the MMW volume) and that pretty much killed the value of the actual first printings, so you can get the first prints fairly cheap -- just take a few minutes to search the 'Bay to see what's out there and learn the differences. If you don't see the print run on the back of the book, it's the original release and you can probably nab them for maybe $20-25 each, plus the print quality is superior on the MMW's. The Epic Collections are softcovers and might be cheaper, but I know those can go out of print as well and would be pricey if that's the case.

If you're open to digital, Comixology is having a sale through July 15 on all of the Amazing Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks for $5.99 each.  Unfortunately to get issue 100 you need the 11th volume, which reprints 100-109.  If you join Comixology (first month free!) you'll get an additional 15% off the sale price for a total of $55.99 for all 11 books.

17 minutes ago, D Parker said:

If you're open to digital, Comixology is having a sale through July 15 on all of the Amazing Spider-Man Marvel Masterworks for $5.99 each.  Unfortunately to get issue 100 you need the 11th volume, which reprints 100-109.  If you join Comixology (first month free!) you'll get an additional 15% off the sale price for a total of $55.99 for all 11 books.

with comixology do you get to keep the digital version or is it a read online only thing? I'm guessing its a Online read only thing? 

11 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

with comixology do you get to keep the digital version or is it a read online only thing? I'm guessing its a Online read only thing? 

I know at one time you could actually download the file as a cbz or pdf, I believe. There may be a limit on how many times you can download the actual file, versus accessing the browser version whenever you want. I've got an archive of everything I bought through Comixology in case they ever go belly up or stuff goes OOP.