• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Order of Grading

19 posts in this topic

I have several books that I am considering having graded,I will list them in order of first to last

with what I expect the grade to be.Pleas offer suggestion as to the order in which you would have them graded

1.Iron Man #1- (3.0-4.0)

2.ASM #50- (4.5-5.0)

Capt Am. #100- (2.5-3.0)

Werewolf by Night #1- (7.5-8.5)

Defenders #1- (8.0-9.0

Marvel Team Up #1- (7.5-8.5)

The Cat #1- 8.0-9.0

Gunhawks #1- 7.5-8.5)

I am thinking in terms of protection,preservation and possible value in that order.

Edited by ben parker
spelling

What is your concern to want to group them vs all at once?

CGC will separate them based on age & possibly FMV as their submission tiers specify. That affects return shipping.   I think they're all pre 1975 so that point is moot.

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Group 1: Iron Man #1, Captain America #100, Amazing Spider-Man #50, and Marvel Team-Up #1.

Thanks,that was what I was looking for,the order of 4,5,6 was the biggest question 

I had.Just for fun throw ASM 28 (3.0-4.0) and ASM 39 (4.0-5.0) in the mix.

it would be more cost effective to send them in larger batches to save on shipping costs as they can add up quickly specially if your in Canada lol, then they are high as well. As if you are going to grade them all at some point I would suggest doing it all together but if you are considering grading some and leaving the rest Raw then that's a different scenario.

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

it would be more cost effective to send them in larger batches to save on shipping costs as they can add up quickly specially if your in Canada lol, then they are high as well. As if you are going to grade them all at some point I would suggest doing it all together but if you are considering grading some and leaving the rest Raw then that's a different scenario.

Leaving some raw for some length of time(a year or so) could be an option

On 7/9/2019 at 11:07 AM, ben parker said:

Thanks,that was what I was looking for,the order of 4,5,6 was the biggest question 

I had.Just for fun throw ASM 28 (3.0-4.0) and ASM 39 (4.0-5.0) in the mix.

You will want to take some time to familiar yourself with CGC's different tiers. Right now all of your books were published before 1975. That's a good start.  The tiers also have value limits. $200 Value, $400 economy, $1000 standard, etc...

There are no grading discounts for shipping multiple books at a time. But shipping can get expensive.  The Golden rule of shipping is the first pound (or in this case book) is the most expensive. Two books can be shipped back to you for a couple of bucks more than one. Five books a few bucks more than two. Ten books maybe ten bucks more than five. And CGC does shipping in blocks. 3-5 books is the same price. So to 5-10. 

So if doing four books might as well do five. Doing six might as well shot for 10.  With return shipping, you can spend about $30 shipping one book - or $55 and ship ten. 

This is only coming up as part of the discussion because you have eight books you want to grade - and wanted to break them into a couple of different submissions. You'll save some cash on shipping if you do all eight at once. 

As for your original question: if you are going to break up the submission, send in your favorites first.   You have them listed in the order of my favorites, with MTU 1 being placed above Defenders 1. 

23 minutes ago, Tony S said:

You will want to take some time to familiar yourself with CGC's different tiers. Right now all of your books were published before 1975. That's a good start.  The tiers also have value limits. $200 Value, $400 economy, $1000 standard, etc...

There are no grading discounts for shipping multiple books at a time. But shipping can get expensive.  The Golden rule of shipping is the first pound (or in this case book) is the most expensive. Two books can be shipped back to you for a couple of bucks more than one. Five books a few bucks more than two. Ten books maybe ten bucks more than five. And CGC does shipping in blocks. 3-5 books is the same price. So to 5-10. 

So if doing four books might as well do five. Doing six might as well shot for 10.  With return shipping, you can spend about $30 shipping one book - or $55 and ship ten. 

This is only coming up as part of the discussion because you have eight books you want to grade - and wanted to break them into a couple of different submissions. You'll save some cash on shipping if you do all eight at once. 

As for your original question: if you are going to break up the submission, send in your favorites first.   You have them listed in the order of my favorites, with MTU 1 being placed above Defenders 1. 

Thanks for the advice on shipping,I did a first batch(none of these mentioned) thru a local comic store that shipped a number of books for various individuals.Let's say that 6 people shipped 6 books each,we would pay 1/6th of the cost.I hope this will work out for us. My initial submissions were ASM #'s 129,122,121,101.100 Marvel Spotlight #5 and Hero for Hire #1.I hope to have them back in 3 weeks to a month,they have been gone about 2 weeks.

7 hours ago, ben parker said:

Thanks for the advice on shipping,I did a first batch(none of these mentioned) thru a local comic store that shipped a number of books for various individuals.Let's say that 6 people shipped 6 books each,we would pay 1/6th of the cost.I hope this will work out for us. My initial submissions were ASM #'s 129,122,121,101.100 Marvel Spotlight #5 and Hero for Hire #1.I hope to have them back in 3 weeks to a month,they have been gone about 2 weeks.

I think you are going to be disappointed on the length of time it takes for the books to get back to you unless you - and the others - all used a fairly expensive grading tier. A minimum of Standard tier ($65 a book) or Economy Fast Track ($48 a book)  Those tiers take about 5-6 weeks to be completed at CGC. Less expensive tiers are taking much longer. Months longer. 

The other thing is "everyone going together".  That is a good way to cut down on shipping costs to CGC.  But saving on return shipping costs  ONLY  works  if everyone is submitting their books under the same CGC tier.  CGC does not combine shipping of different tiers - the different tiers have different turn around times and CGC ships when stuff is done.  It's also worth noting that CGC cannot fit more than 25 slabbed books in a single box, so anything past 25 starts another box. 

Below is a link to CGC's various tiers, costs and Turn Around Times. As you can see, the only books likely to be back in a month are any modern tier submissions. Unless you paid large for grading older books 

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc/

Edited by Tony S

I say wait until you get your first batch back so you can see how YOUR grading stacks up to CGC and can evaluate whether is is fiscally feasible.  Are you pressing the books too?  Things can get expensive quickly.  If you are going to get less than an 8 it may not be worth it.  In the end only you can decide. 

Iron Man 1 in 3.5 estimated value 350 buck...  How much are you willing to spend on it?

Edited by Karl Liebl

7 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

I say wait until you get your first batch back so you can see how YOUR grading stacks up to CGC and can evaluate whether is is fiscally feasible.  Are you pressing the books too?  Things can get expensive quickly.  If you are going to get less than an 8 it may not be worth it.  In the end only you can decide. 

Iron Man 1 in 3.5 estimated value 350 buck...  How much are you willing to spend on it?

"Primary Concerns: #1 Protection - #2 Preservation"

At that point, only the cost of disposable income matters.

8 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

Yes I had already planned on doing it that way.I expect the Hero for Hire to be 8.0 to 9.0,the comic store

guy(who did clean and press on all books) says he thinks 8.5 to 9 on ASM #129 with the others 

a bit under that