• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My LCS is Closing. I Buy One Title ... What is the Best Way to do Continue Doing This?

50 posts in this topic

Every few weeks I head over to my LCS a couple of towns away and buy one title and its annuals. I buy Amazing Spider-man mostly at this point to continue the run.  

I don't care about variants unless they are crazy unique.   I just want each issue of Amazing Spider-man and the annual. 

So... in order to maintain my collection without having to adopt a new LCS (there are no others in my area I care to travel to) what are my options via mail order? 

Is it best to wait a year and then buy all of the back issues at once? 

Are their companies that offer a hold process until your order fills up like BigBadToyStore does with their pile of loot? 

I just collect ONE book and I wanna maintain it. 

So... suggestions? 

One - Let's go U2 version and a cover by Johnny Cash 

Edited by Buzzetta

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

...I don't care about annuals. I don't care about variants unless they are crazy unique.   I just want each issue of Amazing Spider-man and the annual...

Can you clarify whether you do, or do not, care about the annuals?

I was in the same spot a month ago, with The Walking Dead being the only title I still buy regularly. Kirkman took care of that problem for me...

maybe the fact that we are only pulling one book a month has something to do with the demise of our LCS.  I have a couple others within a 20 min drive, but I hope a new one opens in town that I will try to shop at more than the old one.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

not sure what I would do in his position, I would probably take the closure of the store as a jumping off point. :(

I would've jumped off ASM after the reboot and "Legacy" numbering.

It was good for the first dozen-or-so issues IMO. Didn't keep my interest after that.

I'm still getting Batman as my only monthly at my LCS. I also get Love & Rockets which is...quarterly, maybe? And Aliens series from DH, which come out, like, whenever they feel like it, I guess. I nearly made the break with Batman at the same time I dropped Tec (before 1000 hit) but I just couldn't pull the plug. I buy them, I bag and board them, I stick them in a box. A few months down the road I actually read the story when I buy the hardcover. I guess I will do this...forever? If I didn't have my LCS (and we have at least five here to choose from in case anything ever happened to my shop) I'd probably just jump ship at this point. Having the pull folder for those few titles keeps me coming into the shop and checking out back issues and toys, which is where most of my money goes locally.

12 minutes ago, westerberg14 said:

I was in the same spot a month ago, with The Walking Dead being the only title I still buy regularly. Kirkman took care of that problem for me...

maybe the fact that we are only pulling one book a month has something to do with the demise of our LCS.  I have a couple others within a 20 min drive, but I hope a new one opens in town that I will try to shop at more than the old one.

Nah he does not mind that I only get one book a month.  He has known me for almost 30 years since I was a kid.  He is 72 or 73 I believe and does not want to sign a new lease.  We were sitting around watching baseball one afternoon when he told me and said that he doesn't want to be lifting comic boxes at almost 80 so he is not signing another 5-10 year lease. 

18 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

not sure what I would do in his position, I would probably take the closure of the store as a jumping off point. :(

I just cannot do that. lol 

It would kill me to think I have all of them up to a certain point... because if I didn't have them all I would probably start selling off everything I do already have. 

8 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I'm still getting Batman as my only monthly at my LCS. I also get Love & Rockets which is...quarterly, maybe? And Aliens series from DH, which come out, like, whenever they feel like it, I guess. I nearly made the break with Batman at the same time I dropped Tec (before 1000 hit) but I just couldn't pull the plug. I buy them, I bag and board them, I stick them in a box. A few months down the road I actually read the story when I buy the hardcover. I guess I will do this...forever? If I didn't have my LCS (and we have at least five here to choose from in case anything ever happened to my shop) I'd probably just jump ship at this point. Having the pull folder for those few titles keeps me coming into the shop and checking out back issues and toys, which is where most of my money goes locally.

I only buy one comic a month but I handle some things for him and he has helped me out from time to time. 

He has helped me out with charitable donations of comics and I in turn have sold off a lot of the backstock he wanted to get rid of rather than burn it or throw it out when he had too many back issues. 

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Open your own store. 

I said I wanted suggestions on where to get my one comic a month and not suggested means to commit suicide. 

8 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Midtown is I think 15% off cover and cheap shipping... I think they have a pull program too. But Aren't there quite a few LCS on the island?

There are a few... but I would prefer to order them by this point.   As a new customer I think a store owner would get antsy holding one title for me when I would only be making 12 visits a year to the store at a maximum.   

6 minutes ago, kav said:

It's best to wait a year and then buy all of the back issues at once.

I am very much considering that option. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There are a few... but I would prefer to order them by this point.   As a new customer I think a store owner would get antsy holding one title for me when I would only be making 12 visits a year to the store at a maximum.   

I would try the LCS and let them determine.. mentioning  why you are there (your store closing) and you are an adult as you said you have been going to the store you frequent for 30 years. If they refuse that is up to them, but at least you are trying to support a local store and it is not an obscure title. I am in a similar boat as you, I actually stopped buying new books altogether for about 6 years. When they rebooted Uncanny X-men last year I was intrigued and went back to just buy that book my store welcomed me back buying one book a month and I have wound up picking some other stuff here or there now because I am in the store and something catches my eye,