• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My LCS is Closing. I Buy One Title ... What is the Best Way to do Continue Doing This?

50 posts in this topic

Good luck Buzzetta, I envy you your complete ASM run. Mine ends at just 441 -though I have a half shortbox of others like the first dozen issues of vol. 2 and McSpidey, many Straczynskis up through that pact with Beelzebub and that Brand New Day nonsense, a few copies of 700.  But what you got going is fantastic and I'm glad you plan to keep it up.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Same thing just happened to me. Only modern I still get is MAD for the same reason. To keep the run going. Easier for me though because I have been a subscriber for years. One day soon, that last issue will come and it’s over. I have bought every issue since #72 myself either on the newsstand or subscription. End of an era... 

Can you subscribe to Marvel comics? If not, as been suggested get a friend to add it to their pull list for you. 

My sympathies go out to you in this time of loss.

5 hours ago, kav said:

A full collection in my book is ASM 1-300.  And I'm being generous.  1-200 is the more logical cutoff point.

Like me and Buffy at Season 5.  Or was that Season 3, I forget.

Edited by grebal
hyphen, can you believe it

14 minutes ago, grebal said:

Good luck Buzzetta, I envy you your complete ASM run. Mine ends at just 441 -though I have a half shortbox of others like the first dozen issues of vol. 2 and McSpidey, many Straczynskis up through that pact with Beelzebub and that Brand New Day nonsense, a few copies of 700.  But what you got going is fantastic and I'm glad you plan to keep it up.

My sympathies go out to you in this time of loss.

Like me and Buffy at Season 5.  Or was that Season 3, I forget.

I was a big fan of the show 'Hanna' then slowly it became apparent to me that nuthin much ever really happened.  What a missed opportunity.  I stopped watching Alias after like the 10th time she captured the purple man and he escaped and captured her back.

I can just imagine the pitch meeting for that show:
"Ok see its about this marvel superhero chick and the show's about see she captures the bad guy see only he escapes and captures her then see SHE escapes and captures him again but then see he escapes again and captures her then see she escapes and captures him-"
2 hours later:
"So SHE escapes again-"

16 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

I order Love And Rockets from Fantagraphics and here and there a random issue will come autographed 

Whoa, that's cool! I know Fanta also has variant covers for the books, I need to pick those up at some point. 

20 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Not for me.  I personally think you have to be nuts to open up a brick and mortar in Nassau County given the current climate. 

@Buzzetta You said the owner who is closing his store is your friend? Ask him if he is keeping his diamond account. he only has to order a small $ per month to keep it, maybe between you & some other long time customers if would be worth it for him....

Off the top of my head, there are 3 realistic options, none of them all that enticing.

1) Buy it in on ebay 1-2 issues at a time.  The benefit being you have more immediate satisfaction but the downside being the shipping costs.

2) Buy it in batches of 6-12.  Benefit being low shipping costs but downside is waiting to satisfy your craving.

3) Drive longer to another LCS.  Not even sure if that is a realistic option for you.

3 hours ago, comics4all said:

@Buzzetta You said the owner who is closing his store is your friend? Ask him if he is keeping his diamond account. he only has to order a small $ per month to keep it, maybe between you & some other long time customers if would be worth it for him....

Nah... I really don't want to be reliant on anyone else or even maintain an account and I do not want to buy that much every month to warrant the maintaining of a Diamond account.  To others that have PM'd me, I have no desire to buy the store.  Personally that is financially a fool's errand as far as I am concerned.  As much as my job drives me nuts, there is no way I want to leave my job to do that.  

On the one hand, you have a horrible commute to a job you aren't in love with, but that pays well and has good benefits. On the other, you get to throw money into an iffy situation with no pension, vacations or benefits.  

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Nah... I really don't want to be reliant on anyone else or even maintain an account and I do not want to buy that much every month to warrant the maintaining of a Diamond account.  To others that have PM'd me, I have no desire to buy the store.  Personally that is financially a fool's errand as far as I am concerned.  As much as my job drives me nuts, there is no way I want to leave my job to do that.  

I agree I would not buy the shop or get your own diamond account but you should check if he is keeping his account

I know other former LCS owners who did keep their diamond account & do still take orders for a few trusted customers

If you hang out with him anyway shouldn't be a big deal

What about a boardie here who owns a shop or a regular boardie who could pick them up & send 6 months at a time to you?