• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

Lost, traded, or trashed?

Sold #9 to buy a textbook, sold 76 for cheap to give to kneel atoms.

Kind of related but opposite...I traded all my baseball cards for a couple of boxes of comics in 1980 at 12 years old...my card collection included 9 Nolan Ryan rookie cards that were worth around $12 a piece at the time...Can’t remember a single specific comic I received in that trade...got me in to comic collecting but i still regret it to this day...

Edited by JTD

I had a genuine talent for missing key books on the stands. I sold my childhood collection for $40, and if I had it back today, it’d probably be worth about $65.

That said, I did buy a nice copy of Howard The Duck 1. Traded it to a bigger kid. My duck was worth $10, and I got a 50 cent FF 90 in return!

I'm not sure which 2 they were - either AC #1 and DC #27 - or Superman #1 and Batman #1 (I'm led to believe the latter 2). My grandfather had them in "great condition" as my dad says. I'd guess in the 5.0-range because he hoarded newspapers for decades and kept them in seemingly mint condition (for what reason I'll never know).

He had them for more than 60 years, but stored them in the basement. They were destroyed in a flood. I'll never forget this because he was going to give them to me when I was 18 (I didn't learn about this until after he had passed away when I was 16). tens of thousands of dollars - maybe even hundreds of thousands - destroyed by poor collecting habits. Who knows what other comics he even had down there!?

Funny thing. He was a freaking insurance agent.

17 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I saved up all summer in the late 80's to buy a Hulk #1 that was probably a 2.5. Paid $100 for it, traded it later that year for a Roger Clemens rookie card. :facepalm:

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I was a supreme master at missing all the keys off the stands as I never bought any Marvel books.  So every Marvel key from 1967 onward lets say.  

How many New Mutants #100 did you own? They were going for $10 a month after they hit the stands. 

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

How many New Mutants #100 did you own? They were going for $10 a month after they hit the stands. 

as judge judy would say I had zippitity doo dah

4 minutes ago, kav said:

I was a supreme master at missing all the keys off the stands as I never bought any Marvel books.  So every Marvel key from 1967 onward lets say.  

4 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

I had several.

24 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I'm not sure which 2 they were - either AC #1 and DC #27 - or Superman #1 and Batman #1 (I'm led to believe the latter 2). My grandfather had them in "great condition" as my dad says. I'd guess in the 5.0-range because he hoarded newspapers for decades and kept them in seemingly mint condition (for what reason I'll never know).

He had them for more than 60 years, but stored them in the basement. They were destroyed in a flood. I'll never forget this because he was going to give them to me when I was 18 (I didn't learn about this until after he had passed away when I was 16). tens of thousands of dollars - maybe even hundreds of thousands - destroyed by poor collecting habits. Who knows what other comics he even had down there!?

:cry:   Sorry man...that really blows...

32 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Think of it this way-by having those 2 books destroyed, it slightly increased the value of all the other copies, this helping the hobby some how!

I had a bunch of early Marvels in high grade (FF & Spidey) and a nice run of early Vampirella mags in high grade that I don't even remember selling or trading. Highlights included an FF #2, a Spidey #6 and a Vampirella #1. God only knows what happened to them... hm