• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

i don't believe that i had any collectible comics as a kid....

parents never really took me, grocery store was always sold out the "collectible" ones and ones i did manage to get..... i think i gave away...

Rom #47.

It was the only comic I ever remember having as a kid. 

I bought (?) it because of the cover...I had recently seen "Something Wicked This Way Comes..." on a Saturday afternoon special.

No clue what happened to it.

I read books as a kid, not comics. I started reading comics as an adult. ;)

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Amazing Spider-Man #129 and #135 that I sold to a lady at our yard sale for $10 which was a fortune for a 9 year old in 1976. My mom asked me at the time if I was sure I wanted to sell. :(  First comic sale for a profit. First seller's remorse!

$10 for 50 cents worth of 2 year old comics that nobody cared about, nor would care about for another decade...?

Dang, man, you ripped that poor lady off! 

:D

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I put Walking Dead back on the rack after thumbing it and thinking it was carp...

I did keep the 8.0 copy of GL #76 I paid a buck for at a flea market a couple years ago...

yes pls send me that copy to make up for my loss thx.  I will fully reimburse you and even pay postage.

as a kid, treasury editions. I remember my mom buying them for me when I was sick a few times.  spider-man vs superman is a vivid memory. This would have been off the shelf at the local newsstand/pharmacy

Just now, Bird said:

as a kid, treasury editions. I remember my mom buying them for me when I was sick a few times.  spider-man vs superman is a vivid memory. This would have been off the shelf at the local newsstand/pharmacy

The excitement was palpable when that book came out.  I was interested to see how they would pull it off.  When it was revealed that spider man knew all about superman and DC and Marvel were the same world I was a bit disappointed in how dumb this was.

3 hours ago, Badger said:

Amazing Spider-Man #129 and #135 that I sold to a lady at our yard sale for $10 which was a fortune for a 9 year old in 1976. My mom asked me at the time if I was sure I wanted to sell. :(  First comic sale for a profit. First seller's remorse!

yeah i think your memory is a bit off because i remember buying both those issues for a buck each maybe even 50 cents each  at a LCS in the early 80's

Edited by 1950's war comics

2 hours ago, JazzMan said:

Star Wars #1 off the news stand.  Traded it for a Marvel Two-In-One #24.  I absolutely hated the art and in the Star Wars comic and the story was incongruent.  

Second place was a mid grade Giant Size X-Men #1 that I sold for something like $30-$40.

Mine managed to survive...  Not bad considering the abuse...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_71c.jpg.0b9b759ab116f4a848c9f5dbd3d25505.jpg

2 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Hulk 181, 9.2 or greater. Traded (along with 1st Frank Miller DD, X-MEN dark phoenix saga, and others) for a paltry $35 in trade mid 80s comic store. 

I even hand picked that off the wall of the first comic store I ever entered in San Bruno in the late 70s  (and I wasn't the kind of kid that got to pick dozens of comics every week,

try one or two a year). I think that was before the new X-MEN blew up.

:tonofbricks:

I like that list of bronze age keys and I was lucky to own a few, I was never fortunate enough to have a Conan 1.  Things that were 60 to 80 buck back then are now around 1000, kind of cool (for 9.8 of course).  All except Poor Howard lol.  Thanks again George Lucas...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_96b.jpg.b105b2dec36ab5b83912a90f6f01fcb5.jpg

1 minute ago, Karl Liebl said:

I like that list of bronze age keys and I was lucky to own a few, I was never fortunate enough to have a Conan 1.  Things that were 60 to 80 buck back then are now around 1000, kind of cool (for 9.8 of course).  All except Poor Howard lol.  Thanks again George Lucas...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_96b.jpg.b105b2dec36ab5b83912a90f6f01fcb5.jpg

You dont need a 9.8 Conan!  A 6.0 is plenty sufficient.  The rest of the books except 24 can be had for cheap.  Even 24 isnt that much!  

1 minute ago, kav said:

You dont need a 9.8 Conan!  A 6.0 is plenty sufficient.  The rest of the books except 24 can be had for cheap.  Even 24 isnt that much!  

hehehe  I can buy it if I want no problem and I might do it.  I offered a bunch of ungraded books in trade but no takers like these...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871.jpg.0535ad941ef3311ad96bf025bae49474.jpg

Not enough meat on the bone, I know I know, I think I even added like 300 bucks cash in addition.  Nobody likes down trading...

3 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

hehehe  I can buy it if I want no problem and I might do it.  I offered a bunch of ungraded books in trade but no takers like these...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871.jpg.0535ad941ef3311ad96bf025bae49474.jpg

Not enough meat on the bone, I know I know, I think I even added like 300 bucks cash in addition.  Nobody likes down trading...

This one is MINT and no bidders!!!!  lol 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONAN-The-Barbarian-Marvel-Comic-No-1-Mint/362696072869?hash=item54725edea5:g:NdIAAOSwr2tdJAXZ

I got a huge box of comics, many with ripped covers, from a friend's family when I was about 7, maybe 1973. I read them all. My first memory of reading is a comic, and I realized that I could read the words instead of making up my own story as I had been doing previously. I was stunned at what the story was versus hat I thought it was, that was a well "read" copy of a spider-man comic IIRC. But who knows what GA and SA gems were in that huge box (I could have climbed into the box, it was big).

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

I got a huge box of comics, many with ripped covers, from a friend's family when I was about 7, maybe 1973. I read them all. My first memory of reading is a comic, and I realized that I could read the words instead of making up my own story as I had been doing previously. I was stunned at what the story was versus hat I thought it was, that was a well "read" copy of a spider-man comic IIRC. But who knows what GA and SA gems were in that huge box (I could have climbed into the box, it was big).

Hah, I don't know where I got it but I read CrimeSuspenstories in an old army tent soaked in motor oil in my back yard in Virginia by flashlight.  Warden Hoag... Dog Food!

Maybe reprint, maybe NOT!

Edited by Karl Liebl