• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable comic you HAD as a kid...then lost/traded.
7 7

168 posts in this topic

my OO Hulk #181, sold to a "dealer" at local flea market in as part of a box or two when i was getting rid of my low grade stuff (less than NM :D); was probably mid 80's, got a few bucks for it.  went back a few weeks later and asked him where it was, 'someone stole it.' lol

10 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I kept my Conan 1 and Vampi 1

There really should have been a Conan/Vampirella team up.  @oakman29

4 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Wasnt that Chyna from the WWE?  :roflmao:

ouch.

I know they did that vampirella creepy weird war issue-

15 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

:cry:   Sorry man...that really blows...

I cry like a little girl every time I talk about it. When I was 16, I had no idea exactly how rare/valuable they were. After I left HS, I kinda found out, and just... I don't even know what I did.

He could've had Captain Marvel #1, too, for all I know. If he had something like Captain America #1, my dad would recognize it, and would've told me about it. My dad wasn't big on DC, so who knows how many keys he had that my dad didn't recognize as valuable inheritance? My grandfather had to have more than just Superman and Batman #1 down there, though.

I can't talk about this any more. It'll make me start drinking at work. lol

These were all sold on the early days of ebay...

Adventure Comics 431

X-men 3 and 6 and GSX 1

ASM 300

Then when I worked at a comic shop in my late teens I missed out on off the shelf ultimate spider-man #1 (especially with the movie bubble a while back) and Walking Dead #1

My father bought most of the early 60s Marvel comics and remembers specifically having Amazing Spiderman #1 in his collection - his mother threw them out when he moved out. He also told me there was an old lady in the neighborhood during the 1960s who would buy comics from the kids for 2 cents and a lot of the kids sold their books to her after reading them. 

X-Men #4.  Bought it around '92-'94 in about a 4.0 condition for like $60 or so.  Gave up comics for quite a while and for the life of me I have no idea where it is if I sold it, if it's in my parents storage facility or if I just plum lost it.  Kills me. 

Edited by Brewcrewfan77

6 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

I cry like a little girl every time I talk about it. When I was 16, I had no idea exactly how rare/valuable they were. After I left HS, I kinda found out, and just... I don't even know what I did.

He could've had Captain Marvel #1, too, for all I know. If he had something like Captain America #1, my dad would recognize it, and would've told me about it. My dad wasn't big on DC, so who knows how many keys he had that my dad didn't recognize as valuable inheritance? My grandfather had to have more than just Superman and Batman #1 down there, though.

I can't talk about this any more. It'll make me start drinking at work. lol

I usually save this one for funerals, but it seems appropriate here:  I'm very sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences...

4 hours ago, Cushing Fan said:

My father bought most of the early 60s Marvel comics and remembers specifically having Amazing Spiderman #1 in his collection - his mother threw them out when he moved out. He also told me there was an old lady in the neighborhood during the 1960s who would buy comics from the kids for 2 cents and a lot of the kids sold their books to her after reading them. 

Why was it always mom who threw the comics out? In my house, it was definitely dad...dad...daddy-O...

41 minutes ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

X-Men #4.  Bought it around '92-'94 in about a 4.0 condition for like $60 or so.  Gave up comics for quite a while and for the life of me I have no idea where it is if I sold it, if it's in my parents storage facility or if I sold it.  Kills me. 

My story is very similar, except that it was X-Men #5.  Tried my first collection sell-off when I thought I was done with comics, and sold it along with some SA FF's in early '98.  Ny a month later I regretted it, but it was too late.

I think I may have posted this one on the boards before.

Back in the early to mid 1980's a guy I worked with a guy who told me he had some Captain America Comics he'd like to sell. Since the Guy was younger than me I assumed late silver age and wasn't in any hurry to follow up. One day I showed him some pictures of the golden age Cap's and he pointed to issue 1 and said, I know that ones in the lot. Needless to say within an hour I had him in the car heading for Orrin North Dakota of all places. We got there, and the old guy that lived in the house told us he'd hauled all the paper out a week ago and burned it. I'll never know if it was really a stack of golden age Cap's, but at the time I wanted to cry.

25 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

Back in the early to mid 1980's a guy I worked with a guy who told me he had some Captain America Comics he'd like to sell. Since the Guy was younger than me I assumed late silver age and wasn't in any hurry to follow up. One day I showed him some pictures of the golden age Cap's and he pointed to issue 1 and said, I know that ones in the lot. Needless to say within an hour I had him in the car heading for Orrin North Dakota of all places. We got there, and the old guy that lived in the house told us he'd hauled all the paper out a week ago and burned it. I'll never know if it was really a stack of golden age Cap's, but at the time I wanted to cry.

ouch! got to follow those leads always right away or call to hold them till you can follow up on it. tough lesson to learn I guess. ouch

29 minutes ago, Montezuma said:

Why would you haul something off then burn it?  You either haul stuff off, or you burn it.  You dont do both.  Could be one of them dangle valuable object aw damn ya just missed it hoaxes-anyway that would make it easier to swallow.  My LCS guy has heard innumerable stories of people who had action #1 but aw damn-

People like to do this for some reason.  

all of these were owned from the age of 14 - 17:. I had a newspaper route earlier age and later at age 15 I turned the newspaper route over to my younger brother and I worked at McDonalds.

AF 15 about a 4.0, I bought it off the wall of a local comic shop, traded it for some uncanny Xmen's. (hey Xmen was the hottest thing going at the time )

Hulk #1 about a 2.0. I bought it at age 14 raw from a local comic store called Hobbit's Fantasy Shoppe (no longer exists). I owned this copy for several years but sold it when I was 19 and at the time I got into car restoration and girls.

Iron Man #1 grade: perfect! I bought this for $40.00 in I think 1982. At the time $40 was the price in the price guide for a mint copy. I later sold it in another comic store for double guide. Years later the same book was sent in for CGC grading and it came back a 9.8.

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

AF 15 about a 4.0, I bought it off the wall of a local comic shop, traded it for some uncanny Xmen's. (hey Xmen was the hottest thing going at the time )

at least you didnt trade it for some 90s foil nonsense like so many other suckers.

21 minutes ago, kav said:

Why would you haul something off then burn it?  You either haul stuff off, or you burn it.  You dont do both.  Could be one of them dangle valuable object aw damn ya just missed it hoaxes-anyway that would make it easier to swallow.  My LCS guy has heard innumerable stories of people who had action #1 but aw damn-

People like to do this for some reason.  

In this case haul it off and burn it means take it out of the house and over to the trash barrel and light a match. The guy who burned them and teh guy offerring tehm to me were two different people.

1 minute ago, Montezuma said:

In this case haul it off and burn it means take it out of the house and over to the trash barrel and light a match. The guy who burned them and teh guy offerring tehm to me were two different people.

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.  People say the darnedest things.  I talked to one guy whose 'mom sold all his comics at a yard sale".  He had 'the first spiderman, FF, hulk etc'.   I started quizzing him and he 'bought them all off the stands.  I pointed out he wasnt alive when they hit the stands the story changed to 'I bought them at a comic shop when I was 15'.  I then pointed out that when he was 15, in the 1980s, he must have spent thousands at the 'comic shop'.  I found it difficult to believe his mom would not know he had thousands of dollars, and was spending it on comics, and then turned around and 'sold them at a yard sale'.  He kinda  went silent after that.  People love to tell 'aw damn' stories for some reason.